Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad final prep and paint

Member #:115
    Thought I'd update so you guys don't think I gave up.

I've been working a lot on the Nomad body prep lately along with working on the Hemi55. Got the body turned on it's side and finished a little bit of welding and grinding I needed to finish under the car. Then I seam-sealed everything with Evercoat 2K seam sealer. I sealed around all of my cargo floor braces as well as along the body braces and other joints. I did a little filling, sanded the entire underside of the car, and applied a coat of SPI epoxy. Then I sanded that and did a little more filling in places I missed before. After sanding that, I applied a second coat of SPI epoxy and that's where I'm at now. I'm not trying to make the bottom of the car like the outside, just address welds, dents, and a few factory defects in the braces and floor pans and make it as presentable as I can since it's not getting bedliner on it.

I also realized that I didn't do a very thorough job of blocking the rockers since I had to lay on the floor to do it, so I'm addressing that now. I'll probably do one more round of sanding and minor filling on the floor, then shoot the final coat of primer. Don't know if it will be SPI or PPG K36 but I want K36 on the rockers. After that last primer coat I can address the bed liner in the wheelwells and quarters, and the body will be ready for paint.

Oh yeah....I turned the body upside down and I'm still getting a little sand out of it. I blew everything out and I hope I now got it all. I'll probably roll it over a few more times just for fun.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Bitchin'57 View Post
    The stuff I sprayed (Monstaliner) required about 80 psi, and any overspray will travel far, so cover everything and the floor within a 10 foot radius with plastic sheet.
    I think I may plan to do mine outdoors, for that reason. Might have to wait for a warm day....it was 65 degrees at 6PM on Wednesday.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:1800
    Progress is looking good Laszlo! Saw the video of the 502 fire up too, sounds great!
    I need to work on my 4DHT...been sitting as a pile of parts for a few years now.
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4 dr hardtop Bel Air Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige - Purchased July 5th, 2013
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan 210 Larkspur Blue/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased Aug 6th, 2012 (not running)
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan Bel Air Canyon Coral/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased June 30th, 2013 (not running)
    - 2017 Chevrolet SS Sedan - LS3 - TR6060 - Nightfall Grey Metallic - Purchased April 2017

Member #:530
    Good to hear you're under the Nomad again.
    We got a warm temp trend here too last weekend, so I prepped and sprayed epoxy primer on some front end sheet metal parts...so that I could continue assembly and wiring the front of the Nomad. Gawd this stuff takes alot of time and meticulous planning...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    CN, I noticed you use PPG K36, mixed as a high build primer I'm understanding. We've been using K38 for some years now for the high build, based on the PPG reps recommendation. We use the K36, mixed as a sealer prior to base coat. The K38 builds quicker and blocks nicely. fyi, Dick

Dick, yes I've been using K36 as my final primer. For high build, I used Evercoat Slicksand and I love it. I did PPG DPLF as the first coat of epoxy, followed by Slicksand, then PPG K36. By the time I get to the K36 it's already blocked a couple of times.

My painter uses a product called All-U-Need by Clausen, and I tried it on a frame. He goes to bare metal, then sprays a thick coat of All-U-Need and blocks that down. He touches up any bare areas and low spots and just keeps blocking until the body is perfectly straight. Then he seals it and sprays the topcoat. All-U-Need is an interesting product.....it's a zinc-enriched, waterproof high-build polyester primer. It's like a modified Slicksand and it's fairly inexpensive. I like the way it sands after a couple of days. He's used it for 40 years and he's painted a lot of $1 million plus cars with it with no issues. He swears by it and says it really cuts prep time and cost. The damn PPG primers cost $300+ per gallon!

Today, due to my obsessive nature , I actually did a little more minor filling of the bottom of the car with U-Pol Dolphin Glaze, sanded all that, and did some more touchup of the sanded areas with SPI epoxy.

Next, hopefully tomorrow, I plan to finish blocking the lower quarters and rockers, final sand the touched-up areas on the bottom of the car, and shoot the K36. I'll probably just leave the areas that I'm going to spray the bedliner on in the SPI epoxy.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    the All-U-Need sounds interesting for frame work, who makes it and where can one get it?

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by TrifiveRichard View Post
    the All-U-Need sounds interesting for frame work, who makes it and where can one get it?
    https://www.clausenautobody.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TrifiveRichard View Post
    I blasted and sprayed a customer frame with it and I wish I knew about it when I did mine. It would have sure saved a lot of time without having to touch up the epoxy sand-throughs when sanding the Slicksand and the K36. I finished my frame using the same materials and process as the body. My painter uses it on bodies as well as frames and he swears by it.

The only place I'm aware of that you can buy it is from Clausen directly. The website only shows 4 gallon purchases but if you call them they'll sell one gallon at a time.

"ALL-U-NEED Ultimate Hi-Build, One Step, Polyester Primer-Surfacer-Sealer “Finishing System” is available in Light Gray, Dark Gray, Tan, White and Red. It replaces metal prep, etching primer, primer-surfacer and sealer. Containing 86% solids, it sands easily with no shrinkage. No recoat time, no sanding prior to recoating and no sanding after long periods of air dry, it sands the same after two years. Waterproof and solvent proof, self-etching to all ferrous and non-ferrous metals, fiberglass and wood, it is compatible with all paints and primers as well as repairs hail damage. As with our other innovative product ideas, a guide coat was developed within this product. The guide coat allows users to easily detect low or high areas in their panels. "

https://www.clausenautobody.com/prod...rod=all-u-need

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:3217
    Interesting words associated with that product... including "As with our other innovative product ideas, a guide coat was developed within this product. The guide coat allows users to easily detect low or high areas in their panels. "

Any idea what that means?? Use of alternate colors of their product ? or ??

Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast