Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad final prep and paint

Member #:3217
    Congratulations on a big milestone, CN... You'll be EXTRA inspired to get it done from this point onward...

Member #:3898
    Amazing! Looking so good congratulations!

Member #:115
    Thanks guys, this is really an exciting time for me. I went over to Matt's shop today after I found out he wasn't sleeping and wet sanded the cowl and firewall to get it ready to paint. You can see in one pic that Matt had me only partially masked the cowl and let the orange paint and clear go onto part of the firewall on purpose so we can make a clean line between the gloss and matte clears. I also spent about an hour and a half wet sanding the cowl vent cover with guidecoat for the umpteenth time but this time I used a paint stick wrapped with 500 grit to get down into the louvers.

We tried to get the car and hood masked off for painting the bottom but the clearcoat was too soft. Matt painted the hood cross and diagonal braces and front splash pan with white followed by orange basecoat, then sprayed everything with matte clear. I decided I wanted the splash pan matte clear behind the grille and gloss clear in front of it since the inner fenders will be matte clear. I'd either have to make the front part of the inner fenders gloss clear or the splash pan matte clear, so I chose the latter.

Tomorrow we'll mask off the car and spray the orange and matte clear on the bottom of the body and hood, and I think we're going to spray the gloss clear on the splash pan and cowl vent grille. We're both gone for a week or so and that will give time for the clear to harden. Matt likes to sand and polish fully cured urethane clears because he says he gets a better shine after curing so he put the fenders, tailgate, and doors into a storage area for now. So when I get back from SEMA we'll start sanding and polishing.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:615
    Congratulations. The colors look great on your car.

Member #:1723
    Fantastic! I've been watching your build thru the years on various sites, and it is turning out most excellent! Congratulations!

Today we sanded the cowl and firewall and scuffed the bottom of the floor with Scotchbrite. Then we masked off the rest of the car and Matt shot the orange and matte clear. We decided not to use the white base on these areas since Matt felt he was getting excellent coverage with the orange. After that was done, I noticed the hood was still sitting on the stand and we both forgot about it. So I masked off the topside and flipped it over and unmasked the bottom. We sanded it lightly and cleaned it, then Matt shot it with the orange and matte clear. I had to leave while he was still painting the hood so I didn't get any pictures. The whole body (except inner fenders, air intake/radiator cover) is now finished and all we have to do is polish it. Matt's gone deer hunting til mid-week and then I'm gone to SEMA til next Saturday, so we'll resume work when I return. I can see light!!!

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:3217
    Great (and quick) progress on the paint! I can't wait to see it all finished and back on the chassis...

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Great (and quick) progress on the paint! I can't wait to see it all finished and back on the chassis...
    I don't know about "quick" but we have been working diligently on it for the past two weeks. I took the body over on Friday October 12th and we started working on Monday the 15th. I was gone 2 of the past 10 weekdays. If this was a one-color car it would have been done by now because the masking would have been FAR less. I didn't internalize how much extra work there was to use the three colors and the matte clear. When I think about it now there was a lot more work on just the hood than if it was all gloss clear. With only the gloss clear there would have been no masking, but I had to mask it twice with the matte clear on bottom.

I'm a little nervous about dropping the body back onto the chassis. First I want to make sure I have absolutely everything done on the chassis, then I don't want to scratch or damage anything while setting the body down. I don't have a lift so I'll be doing it like I've done by myself many times, with two cherry pickers and a couple of bottle jacks. I may solicit some help from a couple of friends that I trust. I'm kind of hesitant to let anyone else run the jacks and accidentally drop the body too fast. Sure hope there aren't any 'surprises'.

I'm looking forward to putting things together for the last time.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

I did get a couple pics of the bottom of the car just before I left. Matte says it will flatten some as the matte clear cures.

20181026_008.JPG

20181026_010.JPG

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:232
    Looks great laszlo ! The lights at the end of the tunnel