Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad final prep and paint

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by NCW View Post
    But do you only want one square inch protected from heat? Even if you only use the heat shield material in the floor, some degree of noise cancelation is bound to be present too.
    Nick, the typical butyl sound deadeners aren't made to be heat barriers. You need to add thermal insulation on top of it.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:530
    Most effective way to spot your 2 mirrors is to put he seat in and then spot them.
    If you plan to keep the wind wings (instead of deleting them for one piece door glass), they will need to be present, so you can spot the mirrors where the vertical wing stainless divider won't interfere with your sight line.
    If you are looking for exact measurements, sorry, I don't have them...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Nick, the typical butyl sound deadeners aren't made to be heat barriers. You need to add thermal insulation on top of it.
    I am aware that the two compounds/materials work specifically toward different issues but there has to be some crossover benefit from either material. In the past, I have attempted to find white paper on results from each application specific to use and manufacturer but haven't had much success. We are using (not applied) Lizard Skin product which as you know is a spray on material.

Member #:3217
    It has appeared to me that the manufacturers of these materials rely on the 'misinformation in the market' to sell more material.

From an engineering perspective, it's pretty clear what potential benefits might derive from the materials:

1) the 'heavy' materials (primarily the butyl based thicker products which have mass) will dampen out resonances and minimize sound reflections/transmissions, and have little/no benefit as a thermal material.

2) lighter weight (thicker materials) which contain 'air', will provide thermal benefits, but little benefit for sound control. (Air space, particularly static airspace, is still the primary/best thermal insulator; the 'materials' that hold it (air) are only for minimizing air movement within the material to minimize convection losses.

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Most effective way to spot your 2 mirrors is to put he seat in and then spot them.
    If you plan to keep the wind wings (instead of deleting them for one piece door glass), they will need to be present, so you can spot the mirrors where the vertical wing stainless divider won't interfere with your sight line.
    If you are looking for exact measurements, sorry, I don't have them...
    That's what I have read in the past, but since I work by myself 99% of the time it's hard to do. And my vent windows aren't installed either. Was hoping someone had the measurements. I am not doing vent window delete.

So you look at the mirrors THROUGH both vent windows?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

I think that "Lizard skin" is kind of a scam as are similar spray-on materials. It's not heavy or flexible enough to provide a lot of sound dampening, and it's not thick enough to provide much thermal insulation. At least that's my take on the stuff, though I haven't researched it much.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

CN: I agree with you re 'Lizard skin'... I've been skeptical since the stuff first came out and even though I 'stop and listen' to their spiel occasionally at shows, I've remained skeptical of any real benefits (especially wrt the cost).

re your mirror placement question: are you wanting the *original factory placement for the mirrors? Or?? I can measure and provide for you the factory placement if that's what you are wanting (although my original cars only have the drivers side).. Let me know and I can check/measure and reply back pretty quickly.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but if it is....

1956 Nomad stock drivers side mirror position:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks BamaNomad, that's a start!!! My car had holes for a mirror but I welded them up a long time ago.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:2442
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but if it is....

1956 Nomad stock drivers side mirror position:
    That is pretty close to where mine are mounted. Mine might be 1/4" to 1/2" closer to the front of the door. The drivers side one I have full visibility from the drives seat and the passenger side is just cut off on the very inside edge by the vent window. If I was sitting back a bit farther it wouldn't be cut off at all and as it is it's not enough to be an issue (I'm only 5'7" so if you taller you would most likely sit back farther). Most of the time I just look over my shoulder to that side anyway. You can see everything by just turning your head in my 55, no blind spots at all unlike the newer cars. A Nomad may not have the same visibility but it can't be much different since it's side windows go all the way to the back.
    Brian

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast