Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad final prep and paint

Member #:115
    I got the inside of the front fenders and the bottom of the splash pan shot with bedliner today. Matt and I decided when he visited that the splash pan would look best with bedliner instead of paint. He also thinks going with bedliner covered with orange urethane and gloss clear would be best for the inner fender flaps, but I have some time to decide that. I've wondered about putting urethane flexibilizer in the paint...would that help prevent chips?

20180718_002.JPG

20180718_003.JPG
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Member #:2775
    Chips would be the least of my worries at this point. Pretty easy to mess up a perfect paint job on your car just walking by it doing something else, like moving a box, or something. Besides that, it is only just Patina afterwords.

Registered Member

Member #:1800
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I got the inside of the front fenders and the bottom of the splash pan shot with bedliner today. Matt and I decided when he visited that the splash pan would look best with bedliner instead of paint. He also thinks going with bedliner covered with orange urethane and gloss clear would be best for the inner fender flaps, but I have some time to decide that. I've wondered about putting urethane flexibilizer in the paint...would that help prevent chips?
    You could have EXPEL installed on the paint afterwards. Its self repairing, and if done right you can't really tell its on the paint. Not cheap however. I have it on the front end of my Daily driver. No chips and supposedly can self repair scratches. Maybe something to look in to.
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4 dr hardtop Bel Air Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige - Purchased July 5th, 2013
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan 210 Larkspur Blue/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased Aug 6th, 2012 (not running)
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan Bel Air Canyon Coral/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased June 30th, 2013 (not running)
    - 2017 Chevrolet SS Sedan - LS3 - TR6060 - Nightfall Grey Metallic - Purchased April 2017

Quote Originally Posted by hurddawg View Post
    You could have EXPEL installed on the paint afterwards. Its self repairing, and if done right you can't really tell its on the paint. Not cheap however. I have it on the front end of my Daily driver. No chips and supposedly can self repair scratches. Maybe something to look in to.
    It appears that's a urethane film that's applied over the paint on the outside of the car. I was talking about flexibilizer additive in the paint over the urethane bedliner on the front inner fender flaps behind the tire. I don't think you'd want to apply a film to that. Looks like maybe a great idea for a hood though.

http://www.xpel.com/

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:1800
    You're right, I was thinking 'outside' paint not the bedliner'd parts you were actually referring to. My mistake!
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4 dr hardtop Bel Air Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige - Purchased July 5th, 2013
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan 210 Larkspur Blue/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased Aug 6th, 2012 (not running)
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan Bel Air Canyon Coral/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased June 30th, 2013 (not running)
    - 2017 Chevrolet SS Sedan - LS3 - TR6060 - Nightfall Grey Metallic - Purchased April 2017

Went to the paint shop yesterday to try to select my second color for the rear of the car and to get the matte clears. Wow that stuff is expensive....more than I paid for the orange base. I like the added custom touch a matte clear adds so I just paid the bill.

Picking the second color is almost harder than picking the main color. For the main color I just looked for the brightest, best-looking coppery orange pearl I could find. Now the second color not only has to complement the orange, but I have to like it too. My concerns are going too light in the full sun, and too dark in the shade or at dusk. A girl at the paint shop told me she would go with a non-metallic color but I'm still leaning toward a tri-coat to get the metallic or pearl effect. The car has to look good from the rear too. I need to decide on a color soon so I can get the paint ready as we'll probably shoot the back of the car first.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Well things might actually be coming together for painting my Nomad. I've delayed the painting the past month as I've been full of uncertainty about the rear color. I've walked through car lots, gotten paint cards from the local PPG dealer that I practically begged them to let me take home, and consulted with friends and family on it to get their opinions. I looked at colors in the full sun, shade, and even at dusk. I've thought about making a custom color, but decided not to go that route due to all the hassle of sprayouts, etc. In the midst of all this I've been gone a lot scouting for deer and elk season and taking another trip to Montana to look at more land.

On top of that I took all the parts that were "finished" and sprayed them with oil and wax remover to get a shine. I found a few things that I decided I needed to address, so I did a little more blocking and priming. The parts are now finally as good as I think I can get them.

I've seen this car in person and never really liked the color combo (the rear color), and I was afraid of making the same mistake on mine. Something about it just doesn't do it for me.

20080817_1010.JPG

I didn't want anything too white, or too dark. I didn't want it to look like the 90's pearls that turn bluish and pinkish in the sun. I think after all of this I finally settled on the rear color. It's a tri-coat paint with pearls and this is it in the sun:

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0736.JPG

This is out of the sun:

IMG_0798.jpg

The basecoat has white, yellow, black and red it it. The mid-coat has white pearl, silver pearl, and gold pearl in it. I was a little concerned there was too much gold pearl and thought about cutting it down, but then I was afraid of screwing it up and not knowing how it would look.

I talked to Matt about it and he likes the color too, and said I should buy 2 quarts of base and 1 quart of midcoat so I'll order that tomorrow along with the rest of the gloss clear and reducer that I need.

We talked about schedule and he thought he could paint it in about a week after the paint comes in. However, I'm leaving for a 10 day elk hunt on the 14th and I'm afraid that doesn't give us enough time to finish it after the paint arrives. So we decided to talk about it at that point. I said I would feel more comfortable starting on it after my elk hunt the week of September 24th.

It's a fairly complex paint job with 3 colors, and both gloss and matte clears so there's a lot of masking and un-masking. Along with that we'll have to mask off all the bedliner I've already sprayed on the fenders and body. The dash will be charcoal and the body the 2-tone above. I plan to have him shoot the body, glove box door, ash tray, doors, fenders, tailgate, tailgate hinges and covers, and the hood at the same time so they all are sure to match. We'll shoot the rest of the parts later so we're not messing with so many parts. It should all match in the end, but it's probably not a big deal if the under-hood stuff doesn't. I may even paint some parts myself.

So I hope to have some color in a little over 3 weeks!

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I'd go with a cream non-metallic in the shade you like. Your main color is already "busy", pearl or some other effect in the lighter color may not go with that. But if you must, there's a late model Cadillac pearl that's off white that you might look at. Not real "creamy" though. Beyond that, have you looked at HOK custom stuff?

The "flexibilizer" is for painting bumpers. Anything that will flex is a candidate for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I'd go with a cream non-metallic in the shade you like. Your main color is already "busy", pearl or some other effect in the lighter color may not go with that. But if you must, there's a late model Cadillac pearl that's off white that you might look at. Not real "creamy" though. Beyond that, have you looked at HOK custom stuff?
    Thanks for the input. People are split on whether I should go metallic in the rear with the pearl orange. Some think it should be metallic, but others like an off-white pearl or metallic. I like this car and I don't think it's too "busy" myself.

16754292642_3d46db7b6e_b.jpg

I considered the GM "White Diamond" that's on a lot of GM cars including Cadillacs. It is a pearly off-white. I think it might be too white, and my brother agrees. Here's a pic of it.

I've looked at about every OEM off-white and beige or "cream" in existence. I had it narrowed down to 5 colors but most were too white/light. Too light of a color seems to make the orange look "cheap" and a more off-white or beige color makes it look richer. This was the consensus of most of the people who helped me decide on the color. I'm a bit red-green color blind so I didn't trust myself to choose a color. The guy at the paint shop said one of the beige colors I looked at had some green in it, which I didn't see. That probably would have sucked.

The "flexibilizer" is for painting bumpers. Anything that will flex is a candidate for that.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering if it could be used on inner fenders to help prevent chipping of the clearcoat. I will most likely be painting the bedliner in the front inner fenders with base/clear to make it match the exterior color better. The rear wheelwells don't really matter.
    Last edited by chevynut; 08-30-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Well everyone has their own idea of what's right. I figured you had checked out the Cadillac color and agree with you that it's too white. Just offering it up as something you can get in a tricoat formula if you liked it.

For me, I think a color with more brown and yellow ("creamy" if you will) than is on the 55 in the photo is what I'd want.

I've seen other 56s with similar primary color to yours that had a nice cream color to complement. Keep looking. You can always do pearl over a non-metallic base, may take some experimentation.

I don't have any idea on the benefit of flex additive in the bedliner. My tendency would be to think the bedliner by itself is sufficient.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 08-30-2018 at 06:45 PM.

Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast