Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad final prep and paint

Member #:2017
    here's the 55 wagon version..

Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Member #:115
    Robert, I'm assuming there's no grommet in the wagon part. Does the clevis have to pass through it when the tailgate is opened and closed? Seems awfully tight at 1".
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3217
    DSC00867 (Copy).JPGDSC00876 (Copy).jpgDSC00877 (Copy).jpgDSC00879 (Copy).jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Yeah Bamanomad, I'm really surprised nobody has repopped these grommets. I didn't even know they existed, and I'll bet a lot of other guys don't either. Steele Rubber may be a good place to have them repopped. I still wonder if wagons had them, but since the hole is so small I doubt it. Strange stuff.
    Update: I sent a message to Steele Rubber Products last week, and today received email and phone followup. I was told just the mold for a small rubber part would cost them around $2500, and they would need one of my parts in order to evaluate further. I plan to send one of my parts to them for their evaluation/ they said they would return it after.

Attached are a few better photos of the factory part that I will sent them. It is missing one of the 'flaps', but I think they can work from this one. Didn't someone post a photo or a better (near perfect?) part? That would be a better part to send them if the owner is agreeable...?

Here's my version of the part using the grommets I posted. I punched some holes at the end of the flaps to help prevent tearing (per Bamanomad's phone call today ) and it looks like they're larger than necessary but it's all I had to work with. Then I opened up the holes to 50mm. Now I just have to fit and install the quarter panel seals then prime them and plug weld them in. The grommets are pretty snug in the holes but I'll probably just use some weatherstrip adhesive on one side to keep them in place since the slot is .118" and the metal is only .045".

20170619_002 (1).JPG
    Last edited by chevynut; 06-19-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but if it is....

1956 Nomad stock drivers side mirror position:
    Followup on LH/RH mirror position...

I made a couple more photographs today of the LH mirror position on my 56 Nomad and also my '57 Sedan. Both these cars have mirrors *(factory position) in the same location (*relative to the windwing).. see photos... For these photos, I turned the mirror head so it was perpendicular (facing straight rearward) and you can see on both cars the reflective surface of the mirror is aligned to the same point re the windwings.

The third photo is a 'simulation' for how a RH mirror might be viewed from the driver's seat. I turned the LH mirror as much as possible to allow rearward viewing from the front PASSENGER seat and I took the photo from the passenger seat perspective. I was not able to turn the mirror enough so I could view the side of the car from that perspective, so adjusting a RH mirror to get full range of view from the driver's seat might pose a challenge? From this, I do think that viewing an adjacent lane of traffic would be achievable when mounting a factory mirror on the RH side at the same consistent location as the LH mirror position.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's my version of the part using the grommets I posted. I punched some holes at the end of the flaps to help prevent tearing (per Bamanomad's phone call today ) and it looks like they're larger than necessary but it's all I had to work with. Then I opened up the holes to 50mm. Now I just have to fit and install the quarter panel seals then prime them and plug weld them in. The grommets are pretty snug in the holes but I'll probably just use some weatherstrip adhesive on one side to keep them in place since the slot is .118" and the metal is only .045".

20170619_002 (1).JPG
    That looks like it would work fine to me, CN... and the part isn't viewable in an assembled car in order for someone to compare to an original one (if someone cared that much?)..

PS. I looked on ebay and could not identify for certain the parts you purchased... If you have extra parts to sell, I'd be interested.. as well as knowing where you purchased them from? Let me know..

Bamanomad, my only concern with the parts is the flaps are pretty thin. I think they'll work just fine though. Who knows how many cars have been driving around for decades without them.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

I think I finally understand all this tailgate cable stuff....maybe . The cable on a Nomad has to be longer than the cable on a regular wagon, because the tailgate travel is longer on a Nomad. It leans forward quite a bit more and to go flat it travels through more of an angle than a wagon's tailgate. Since the cable guides/stops are in the same place, the Nomad cable has to be longer.

So that means the cable clevis on a Nomad also travels further into the quarter panel area. To allow this, the hole in the baffle has to be larger, hence the grommet. I believe, but I'm not absolutely sure, that based on this the wagon cable clevis doesn't have to go through the baffle hole. That's how they're able to get away with only a 1" hole, which would barely be big enough for the clevis. I still wonder if the regular wagons had grommets in those holes but Robert's pics show no evidence of them as far as I can tell. I think I'd put them in.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Thanks for the mirror info Bamanomad. I went by your original measurement showing the front of the mirror 4" behind the a-pillar and marked both sides. These are the mirrors I have....the passenger side is convex. Note the plastic/rubber gasket that goes around the base and shows when mounted.

Here's one like it, but it's mounted a lot further forward than yours.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

I think I finally understand all this tailgate cable stuff....maybe . The cable on a Nomad has to be longer than the cable on a regular wagon, because the tailgate travel is longer on a Nomad. It leans forward quite a bit more and to go flat it travels through more of an angle than a wagon's tailgate. Since the cable guides/stops are in the same place, the Nomad cable has to be longer.

So that means the cable clevis on a Nomad also travels further into the quarter panel area. To allow this, the hole in the baffle has to be larger, hence the grommet. I believe, but I'm not absolutely sure, that based on this the wagon cable clevis doesn't have to go through the baffle hole. That's how they're able to get away with only a 1" hole, which would barely be big enough for the clevis. I still wonder if the regular wagons had grommets in those holes but Robert's pics show no evidence of them as far as I can tell. I think I'd put them in.
    I've never worked on a std wagon or owned one, so I'm 'blank' about the std wagons, but I did measure the Nomad cables I have (45" from end of ball to hole in the clevis), and I also measured the 'range' of the reel (43"). It would help clarify all this if someone with std wagon parts did a similar measurement for comparison?

PS. It seems to me that the added distance in motion (from closed to open tailgate) would be accommodated in the REEL, rather than the cable length?? Do the tailgates on std wagons open all the way flat?

Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast