Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad final prep and paint

Member #:530
    I believe, but I'm not absolutely sure, that based on this the wagon cable clevis doesn't have to go through the baffle hole.
    I can confirm that's how it worked on my 9 passenger wagon. With the gate closed, you could reach up inside the wheelwell and get to the clevis pins. They did not retract thru that baffle hole...
    And I don't remember seeing a rubber grommet. It may have been long gone from 50 years of use though...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:115
    The bulb seal material arrived and I attached it to the baffles. This seal has a larger bulb than what Robert used, I think, and it's pretty much fully compressed inside the quarter. I think it looks pretty good for a home-made piece.

I still have to plug weld them in but may wait until I trial fit my wheelhouse seals to do so. I don't want any problems putting them in.

I may even use this type of bulb on the wheelhouses, and for sure on my front fender shields. I have two sets of the stock split rubber I'll try first.

20170623_002.JPG

20170623_001 (1).JPG
    Last edited by chevynut; 06-23-2017 at 03:14 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

I tried installing my original-type wheelhouse seals and found out it's a bitch to get them in, especially near the rockers. I think they need to be installed before final blocking or they may affect the panel slightly. I tried starting one about a foot above the rocker and pulling it down to the bottom, but it doesn't move very easily. Have you guys installed these? Do they need some sort of lube like soapy water? Any other tricks?

At one time I thought I'd trial fit them and remove them until after paint, then put them in. Now I'm thinking it would be easier to install them and mask them off if I don't want them painted. I'm afraid I might damage the panels trying to get them in after paint. Any thoughts? I considered using the bulb seals there and the type I have does fit and are a lot easier to install, but don't seem to seal as tightly as the original type.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:3217
    Is this the part you installed? stock type? weren't the originals stapled to the inner wheelhouse?

I assisted a friend Wednesday installing a different type (he obtained from Woody's, but I couldn't find it in their product list). It had a metal reinforced plastic coated 'clip' on one edge and maybe a 2" wide seal from that. It was difficult to install (My knuckles have missing skin from rubbing against the inside of the quarter while pushing those on the inner wheelhouse). He said that Woody's told him these were 'easier' to install than originals, and they don't have to be stapled.

Edit: The second photo shown is the seal we installed... I found it on the woody's site finally.

http://www.woodyshotrodz.com/product-p/whr-iqs-5557.htm
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 06-23-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Thanks BN! I'm not much of a fan of that Woody's seal just by looking at the cross-section. When installed, it seems to me like it would want to twist in one direction and try to come off the wheelhouse sheetmetal since it's non-symmetrical. Most of my wheelhouse to quarter panel gap is pretty uniform in the 1/2" to 5/8" range, but it narrows down to around 3/8" to 1/2" or so at the bottom at the quarter panel (I haven't measured it). That's still room for the stock-type seal you posted above, once you get it in. It just seems to me the Woody's seal would not want to stay on unless it was stapled or screwed in place. The "bulb" type seal like I used on the baffles and like Robert used on his baffles and wheelhouse seems like a better alternative to me. It slides on easily,is symmetrical, it's soft, weather resistant, and flattens down where needed. I think a 3/4" or 1" bulb would work well.

Here's the bulb seal I used. It fits across the gap everywhere but it's not really tight:

20170623_004.JPG
    Last edited by chevynut; 06-24-2017 at 06:21 AM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

"Fender"??

16. This seal, designed by Woody’s, wraps around the inner fender and keeps moisture from getting in between it and the outer fender. The yellow section in the center has small teeth that rigidly lock the seal in place once it is applied. The flexible, tapered edge allows it to form to the fender for a watertight seal.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/pro...n-your-garage/

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Here's some discussion on the subject that I forgot about because it's been so long. LMAO!

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/137404/

https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40927

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

What they said is correct except for saying it sealed to the 'fender'.. it actually seals to the inside of the quarter panel via the soft rubber... (we had to 'slit' the soft rubber seal in a few places around the wheelhouse where it wanted to 'bow'; after slitting, it laid up tight to the quarter all the way around. Knowing how difficult it was to get it seated, I don't think it's going to come off!)

Here is a photo of it installed:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 06-24-2017 at 06:28 AM.

Thanks for the pic BN. How did it fit down by the rockers? Was the gap tighter there? I was told I should put them in before paint and make sure they don't distort the quarter panel.

If you looked at the links I posted you'll see that it's supposedly "easy" to install the stock-type seals . I already have two sets of them so I think I'll continue trying to get them in and if I can't I'll consider the Woody's seals or the bulb seals. I like the design of the stock-type seals if I can get them installed. Mine certainly aren't what I'd call "soft" like a door weatherstrip. They're solid rubber, not foam.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Thanks for the pic BN. How did it fit down by the rockers? Was the gap tighter there? I was told I should put them in before paint and make sure they don't distort the quarter panel.

If you looked at the links I posted you'll see that it's supposedly "easy" to install the stock-type seals . I already have two sets of them so I think I'll continue trying to get them in and if I can't I'll consider the Woody's seals or the bulb seals. I like the design of the stock-type seals if I can get them installed. Mine certainly aren't what I'd call "soft" like a door weatherstrip. They're solid rubber, not foam.
    Yes, it was tighter and one has less room to work. We kinda 'got it started' by the rocker (at the front end), then worked towards the middle. In the middle it's easier (but not *easy*) to get it in place; then we worked to the rear. Once it's mostly in place, one can go back around and using your fingers between the quarter and the seal, squeeze it further into place. The backside of my middle fingers are mostly missing the skin now from rubbing/scrubbing against the inner side of the quarter! We used our fingers rather than any type of tool in order to prevent damage to the quarter (it was already painted); it may have flexed a little as we worked around the wheelhouse, but not enough to damage the quarter. I'd say the gap on his car was around 5/8" (certainly no more than 3/4"), and got closer to 1/2" down by the rocker on the front side. I think if I'd been working by myself, I'd have 'given up'.. but with the two of us swapping out turns scrubbing our fingers and giving encouragement, we got it totally tight on the wheelhouse all the way around.

I read your posted links; RickL mentioned he had some from H&H that were softer? I need to purchase and install some on my red 57 Nomad; I like how the Woody's stuff seals off and looks, but it was 3X the price of the original type. Nor do I want to have to 'staple' them to the wheelhouse. Maybe obtain the softer ones referenced by RickL and use a little adhesive??

The Woody's tech told my friend Richard that the ones he purchased were 'better and easier to install' than the originals... for whatever that is worth. He may have been comparing them to stapling the originals?

The bulb seals you referenced *appear* to be easier than either to install? if they seal off against the quarter then maybe that's the way to go?
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 06-24-2017 at 07:29 AM.

Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast