Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad final prep and paint

Member #:115
    I final sanded the top edges of the tailgate today and flipped it over to spray what I hoped was a final coat of primer on the outside and I saw some "grooves" in the wet primer from prior sanding. It's a bitch sanding the sides of the tailgate bar risers without cutting too deep at the base. So I'll sand it all again with guidecoat tomorrow and see what I end up with.

I blocked the top of the hood with 320 grit and a 24" block and sanded some places with a smaller block and even by hand in the high crown areas. It looks really flat but I got some sand-throughs to Slicksand in a couple places and one or two slightly low spots so I spot-primed the top of the hood again and I hope it's the last time for that. The hood had a dent in the center of the ridge that I worked out and there's a very slight low spot on one side now. It's almost gone after blocking. I found some minor defects in the side of the hood flange that I want to address so I'll be spot-puttying and priming those spots just a little more too.

I also sanded the four inner fender flaps and spot-primed them but decided not to worry about what I'm going to do with them since I won't need them for a while. I'll just paint them myself later.

Still haven't heard from Matt so I guess I need to contact him again. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:530
    I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
    Doubtful. But woe to the painter that takes on your job after all the prep you've done. They better be on their game the day they spray it.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Matt finally came over to look at the HEMI55 and my Nomad last night. He's going to take on the job of finishing HEMI55 once he talks to Steve about his expectations and details of what he wants done. I showed him the work I did and he looked the car over pretty good.

Then we went and looked at my Nomad. I showed him the chassis and cranked up the 502....he said he loved it. He looked at the body and all the parts and said "now I'm afraid to paint it". LOL! I told him I only expected him to do his best on it, and that's all I can ask for. He has a great reputation in the area. I've done all the prep work so I can't blame him if there are defects in the body. I showed him some of the interior parts I've made and the materials and colors we've chosen. He really liked the whole scheme and color choices that Larry helped me pick out. Both of them have a great eye for colors.

As he was getting ready to leave I pressed him on when he though he could get my Nomad into paint, if he wasn't stil afraid to paint it . I told him I'd be there helping to mask, un-mask, and do anything I can to help and he doesn't have a problem with that. I was in the booth as he was spraying my frame.....to the surprise of his employees.

He said that it would be "about a month" before he finished some projects and had time to get it in. He said that he's not really afraid to do it , and he's confident that he can do as good of a job as anyone. I told him that as long as it didn't pass the middle of August (huntung seasons start soon afterward) we would be okay. And I re-assured hom that I knew he would do an excellent job on it.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:530
    You're inching forward here. That's encouraging.

Who will do the "post spray" activities? (color sand, buff, polish, etc) Him or you?
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post

Who will do the "post spray" activities? (color sand, buff, polish, etc) Him or you?
    I was going to do it myself but it will probably be both of us. I'm not afraid of sanding but the buffing is something I don't have a lot of experience doing. I may end up painting a lot of the other pieces myself. I just want the outside of the car to be as nice as I can make it. So I'll for sure have him paint the body, tailgate, doors, fenders, and hood. It's a lot to haul to his shop in one batch and to get into his booth. After that I'll decide what else to have him paint.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post

IMO, the responsibility for the cut n buff should lie on the painter, because if the painter burns through, then he has to fix it. If Laz burns through, then he has to pay the guy to fix it. The paint job isn't done until the cut n buff is done. I have seen on several occasions where one of my friends was anxious to get the car home, or the painter was anxious to get the car out of his shop, and the car wasn't cut n buffed.
    Last edited by Bitchin'57; 07-12-2018 at 07:58 AM.
    Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Quote Originally Posted by Bitchin'57 View Post
    IMO, the responsibility for the cut n buff should lie on the painter, because if the painter burns through, then he has to fix it. If Laz burns through, then he has to pay the guy to fix it. The paint job isn't done until the cut n buff is done. I have seen on several occasions where one of my friends was anxious to get the car home, or the painter was anxious to get the car out of his shop, and the car wasn't cut n buffed.
    Here's the thing....I have hired Matt to do whatever I want him to do, by the hour. Originally I told him I was going to do all the prep, have him spray it, and I'd do all the cutting buffing. Now that I better understand all the work involved, I'm going to have him really look the car over for defects (he sprays O&W remover on it) and help me address anything he finds. Then he'll shoot it with my help masking, etc., then we both sand and buff it. I have done some hand polishing and if that's needed where a buffer can't reach, I can do all that "hard" stuff. I don't expect Matt to warranty anything. I'm providing all the materials too including paint, reducers, and hardeners. He includes some materials like sandpaper, masking tape, etc. in his per-hour cost.

Matt has painted some $1M plus cars and I've seen his work on a 60's Maserati.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Here's the thing....I have hired Matt to do whatever I want him to do, by the hour. Originally I told him I was going to do all the prep, have him spray it, and I'd do all the cutting buffing. Now that I better understand all the work involved, I'm going to have him really look the car over for defects (he sprays O&W remover on it) and help me address anything he finds. Then he'll shoot it with my help masking, etc., then we both sand and buff it. I have done some hand polishing and if that's needed where a buffer can't reach, I can do all that "hard" stuff. I don't expect Matt to warranty anything. I'm providing all the materials too including paint, reducers, and hardeners. He includes some materials like sandpaper, masking tape, etc. in his per-hour cost.

Matt has painted some $1M plus cars and I've seen his work on a 60's Maserati.
    I'm not doubting your painter's expertise at all.

Can I ask how many coats of clear he is going to spray?
    Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Quote Originally Posted by Bitchin'57 View Post
    Can I ask how many coats of clear he is going to spray?
    I don't know. He told me we need 4 liters of matte clear and 2 gallons of gloss clear (PPG DCU2021). The matte clear is 7.3 liters ready to spray which seems like a lot. The gloss clear is 3 gallons ready to spray. The matte clear is probably way too much but because he mixes flat and semi-gloss to get a custom sheen that he likes, we have to buy that much. The matte clear will be on the bottom of the car, inner fenders, and bottom of the hood. Gloss clear everywhere else.

I don't know how many coats of gloss clear that is.

I also have 3/4 gallon of white base, 2 gallons of orange base, 2 quarts of the charcoal base (way plenty) and he says we need 2 quarts of the off-white/beige base (plus mid-coat). All of the base is PPG DBC and mixes 1:1 with reducer. I told him I wanted around one quart of orange and a pint or so of off-white/beige left over. He sprayed the frame so he knows the coverage and how much we used.

I haven't added up what I've spent on paint supplies, but it's a small fortune.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    CN its a little late to think about costs