Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad final prep and paint

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Well I've been fighting that sciatica problem and it's finally getting better. It's been a real pain (literally) just sleeping and getting around for the past few weeks.

The body is done and sitting on the rotisserie with a tarp on it to keep it clean. I still haven't shot the bedliner and I need to ask my painter if he wants me to do that before or after paint.

I've been working on the Nomad fenders and doors the past week or so. I got one of the fenders blocked out and it's looking good, ready for some minor filling and another coat of K36. The other fender is ready for blocking but I've been working on the doors for a few days. The outside of the doors look great since they were blocked on the car. But the door edges were still pretty "raw" since I hadn't done anything on them for years since shooting DPLF epoxy.

I first sanded the DPLF and tried to sand out as much of the roughness everywhere that I could. I shot a coat of SPI black epoxy, let it cure, and did some filling with U-Pol Dolphin Glaze. After curing, I sanded everything again and got it pretty smooth. I'm not trying to get all the numerous factory wrinkles out of it because most of it won't be seen. Next I seam-sealed the entire perimeter of the door skin and a few other places with Evercoat 2K seam sealer and let that cure. After a light sanding to smooth the seam sealer I shot another coat of SPI epoxy. That's curing and tomorrow I'll do one more light sanding before shooting K36 on the door edges.

I'm not trying to make the doors perfect, but I do want the back of the doors to be really nice because they're seen when the door is open. Same for the area under the a-pillar. So I've been doing a lot of work there to make everything as smooth as possible.

No pics right now but maybe later after the K36. Still a lot of work to do, and as usual it's taking me 10 times as long as expected.
    You do a good job making the boring part of car building an interesting read.
    Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Member #:3611
    Well I've been fighting that sciatica problem and it's finally getting better. It's been a real pain (literally) just sleeping and getting around for the past few weeks.
    I've been dealing with Sciatic on my left side for about 5 years now, some days it is a no go to the garage/shop and then other days it's tolerable , plus I deal with the problem guys don't have to, 38D Boobs , while they might look good they kill my back and depending on the Bra they make my shoulders hurt , plus being a petite (5' tall) doesn't help .......

Registered Member

Member #:3678
    Did you test fit the stainless moldings prior to polishing them? I ask as it seems that many miss that step until after paint.Also not many have the advantage of test fitting several pieces until the one(s) are chosen.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida 57 View Post
    Did you test fit the stainless moldings prior to polishing them? I ask as it seems that many miss that step until after paint.Also not many have the advantage of test fitting several pieces until the one(s) are chosen.
    Which moldings are you referring to? The BA side stainless should all fit....at least I don't see why it won't. If the quarter window moldings don't fit I don't know what I'd do about it . The ones I know about that can have issues are the drip rail stainless, which I have trial fit. I probably need to check it again before paint. I've trial fitted some of the other pieces but not all of it at the same time. Not sure I see the reason to do it. Hope I don't find out later.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3678
    Which moldings are you referring to? The BA side stainless should all fit....at least I don't see why it won't. If the quarter window moldings don't fit I don't know what I'd do about it . The ones I know about that can have issues are the drip rail stainless, which I have trial fit. I probably need to check it again before paint. I've trial fitted some of the other pieces but not all of it at the same time. Not sure I see the reason to do it. Hope I don't find out later.
    I have seen on builds at car shows where the stainless side moldings don`t fit correctly after different metal work was done.One recent 57 had a quarter changed and the upper and lower quarter stainless was off by one inch. Visible perhaps only those who look closely but off non the less.Car sold for $100,000.00 and way over valued.Nice car and owner but admitted he did`nt check proper fitment prior to the quarter`s installation.I have also seen belt line trim being off as well.It`s not that time consuming prior to paint.I guess I`m just a "safe than sorry" kind of person and I was just curious and understand how meticulous you are. I know for a fact one has to check the aftermarket moldings as all not stamped the same.I also understand the value behind your 56 hockey sticks and the difficulty should an owner need to purchase.(PS., should you have a few dozen sets you have no use for....LOL.)

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Depending on how much repair work was done it can change the shape, and the heat and pressure of buffing can also, so its a good idea to test fit and tweek it before paint.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachGirl55 View Post
    I've been dealing with Sciatic on my left side for about 5 years now, some days it is a no go to the garage/shop and then other days it's tolerable , plus I deal with the problem guys don't have to, 38D Boobs , while they might look good they kill my back and depending on the Bra they make my shoulders hurt , plus being a petite (5' tall) doesn't help .......
    Really? I would much rather hear about the specs on your tri-five.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida 57 View Post
    I have seen on builds at car shows where the stainless side moldings don`t fit correctly after different metal work was done.One recent 57 had a quarter changed and the upper and lower quarter stainless was off by one inch. Visible perhaps only those who look closely but off non the less.Car sold for $100,000.00 and way over valued.Nice car and owner but admitted he did`nt check proper fitment prior to the quarter`s installation.I have also seen belt line trim being off as well.It`s not that time consuming prior to paint.I guess I`m just a "safe than sorry" kind of person and I was just curious and understand how meticulous you are. I know for a fact one has to check the aftermarket moldings as all not stamped the same.I also understand the value behind your 56 hockey sticks and the difficulty should an owner need to purchase.(PS., should you have a few dozen sets you have no use for....LOL.)
    I have one front 55 OE fender with 2 sets of 1/4 inch holes in it for a Bel Aire, that I want to put on my 210. I either have to weld them all up, or run Bel trim, and see which holes work best.

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachGirl55 View Post
    Have you tried going to a chiropractor? Your back probably needs an alignment.
    Last edited by Bitchin'57; 03-22-2018 at 04:12 PM.
    Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Member #:3611
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Really? I would much rather hear about the specs on your tri-five.
    yes really ! and I would really rather not hear anything from you but yet here you are.

Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast