X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 56Safari
    Registered Member
    • Jun 2016

Originally posted by chevynut
    I'm thinking about spraying the lower splashpan behind the bumper, and all the wheel side of both inner fender pieces. They're not visible when the car is on the ground. There are two "flaps" at the back of the inner fender that are removable. One is a custom one, and the lower one is a stock piece. I might spray both of those with paint since they're visible when on the ground and more so when the wheels are turned. Thoughts and opinions?]
    Looking really good, I think the lower splash pan and inner fenders on the wheel side would look great... I kind of like the inner fender area to have a softer sheen than the body... feel like it helps the paint pop more... That's my .02, but I should probably go to bed.. Excellent work!

Comment

• chevynut
      Registered Member
      • Nov 2011

Been working this past week on the upper inner fenders, hood brace pieces, my custom hood bar covers, fresh air vent grille, tailgate hinge covers, radiator cover/air intake, and tailgate. It's amazing what you can see with guidecoat that you can't see by just sanding. I shot a coat of K36 primer on everything tonight and I think most of the parts are done. I have just a little more work to do on the radiator cover and tailgate. The tailgate is going to need some seam sealing and hopefully one more coat of primer. Once those parts are done all I have left is the hood which should be in pretty good shape. I'm so glad I can finally see the end of this seemingly endless sanding.

Matt is coming over next week to look at the Hemi55 and my Nomad. He's probably going to be taking over on the Hemi55 to finish it, and hopefully we can make plans to get the Nomad in for paint sometime in July.
      56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
      56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
      57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
      1962 327/340HP Corvette
      1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
      2001 Porsche Boxster S
      2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
      2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Comment

• chevynut
        Registered Member
        • Nov 2011

I'm trying to finish up my tailgate and the outside looks really good now as does the bottom and sides. Just need one final coat on the outside and a final sanding and it's done. On the top (part next to liftgate) I have a little more priming and blocking to do to get it flat. There is a step where the weatherstrip attaches and inboard of that there is a channel. What's that for? How much of it shows with the tailgate open? I'm trying to decide if I need to fill some spot welds and seam seal the area. Thanks.

Last edited by chevynut; 06-25-2018, 03:13 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
        1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
        2001 Porsche Boxster S

Comment

• WagonCrazy
          Registered Member
          • Mar 2012

Not sure what that channel is for, but my hunch is that any water that makes it past the seal is diverted by that...so that it doesn't run into the cabin.
          And according to this pic I found online, it is definately very visable to the eye...

Nomad10.jpg
          1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
          1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Comment

• chevynut
            Registered Member
            • Nov 2011

Thanks Paul. After looking at it closely I also determined it was a water channel since it has holes on each end. I went ahead and applied seam sealer to it and smoothed the spot welds with glazing filler. Still plugging away, but the end is in sight.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
            1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
            2001 Porsche Boxster S

Comment

• chevynut
              Registered Member
              • Nov 2011

Got sidetracked a little with Medicare stuff and things around the house but I'm still working on the Nomad. So far I've primed and blocked/sanded 29 pieces that are DONE including both doors, both fenders, both lower inner fenders, both upper inner fenders and lots of smaller pieces. I still have 3 pieces to finish including the tailgate and radiator cover both only with some small sand-throughs to re-prime and block. The tailgate is 97.36% finished and the only thing I haven't worked on is the hood. But it was also in pretty good shape when I primed it a few years ago.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the front inner fender flaps behind the tires, paint or bedliner, and Matt hasn't come over yet to consult with. There are 4 pieces that I might shoot with bedliner, and if not they're pretty much ready to paint with a little sanding.

So I'm going to be really close to hitting my goal of having everything ready to paint by the end of June. One thing I might have left is shooting bedliner on the inside of the fenders, and some other parts once I decide what I want to do there.

20180628_002.JPG

20180628_003.JPG

20180628_004.JPG

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
              1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
              2001 Porsche Boxster S

Comment

• Bitchin'57
                Registered Member
                • Aug 2015

How does that bedliner color look against your paint color?
                Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Comment

• chevynut
                  Registered Member
                  • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Bitchin'57
                  How does that bedliner color look against your paint color?
                  The bedliner is flat and the bottom of the car will be matte clear. Just tried to take some pics.... I think it's a pretty good match in overall color, but clearly in the sun the pearl pops a lot making it different. Not sure how it would look if it was glossy bedliner, but they don't tell you it's flat. And I don't have anything with matte clear yet to compare to. Since not much will actually be seen it's probably not a big deal.

This is outside at an angle

20180628_002 (1).JPG

This is outside in the sun with the pearl highlight

20180628_003 (1).JPG

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
                  1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
                  2001 Porsche Boxster S

Comment

• Bitchin'57
                    Registered Member
                    • Aug 2015

The first pic doesn't look bad, but that last pic at an angle is quite a difference. If you do the front wheel wells with the liner, it "might" look unpleasing out in the sun. JMHO.
                    Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Comment

• NickP
                      Registered Member
                      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Bitchin'57
                      The first pic doesn't look bad, but that last pic at an angle is quite a difference. If you do the front wheel wells with the liner, it "might" look unpleasing out in the sun. JMHO.
                      Depends upon what color of the two your eyes pick up first along with surrounding colors..

Comment

• chevynut
                        Registered Member
                        • Nov 2011

If you think about the highlights that are in the second picture, they're usually brightest only on curved surfaces where the sun reflects the light directly back into your eyes. I think on the lower parts of the car you won't see those highlights very much, and the colors match pretty good there. With the difference in texture and gloss, you won't get a perfect match no matter what. My only concern about painting the lower front fenderwell flaps is that they're right behind the tires and the most likely area to get chipped by rocks. Maybe I should spray the bedliner followed by the orange urethane base and gloss clear on those parts.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
                        1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
                        2001 Porsche Boxster S

Comment

• WagonCrazy
                          Registered Member
                          • Mar 2012

My only concern about painting the lower front fenderwell flaps is that they're right behind the tires and the most likely area to get chipped by rocks. Maybe I should spray the bedliner followed by the orange urethane base and gloss clear on those parts.
                          I vote for this strategy...

Comment

• chevynut
                            Registered Member
                            • Nov 2011

Well I almost made it.

Found some time to work on the car Saturday and got the underside of the hood finished. I cleaned and sanded it, then did some spot priming and sanded it all with 400 grit. Then I found a bare metal part in the attic that I had overlooked and needed to prime and a different headlight bucket that was in better shape than one I picked out before. So I blasted and primed both those parts with SPI epoxy and let them dry overnight. Today I cleaned, sanded and primed the top of the hood and primed it with K36 along with the two epoxied parts and worked some more on the tailgate, which is very close to finished. I should be done with everything in a day or two and will probably shoot the inside of the fenders with bedliner this week.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
                            1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
                            2001 Porsche Boxster S

Comment

• WagonCrazy
                              Registered Member
                              • Mar 2012

Go man, go....

Comment

• hurddawg
                                Registered Member
                                • Jul 2013

Great progress
                                - 1957 Chevrolet 4 dr hardtop Bel Air Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige - Purchased July 5th, 2013
                                - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan 210 Larkspur Blue/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased Aug 6th, 2012 (not running)
                                - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan Bel Air Canyon Coral/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased June 30th, 2013 (not running)
                                - 2017 Chevrolet SS Sedan - LS3 - TR6060 - Nightfall Grey Metallic - Purchased April 2017

Comment

Working...