Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad final prep and paint

Member #:115
    Bamanomad, you said things that "make it function or look/go better" so I assumed you meant more fabrication work . I have some little details to do later but they would just be a distraction now.

Yes the tailgate hinges, hinge covers, door hinges, door hinge covers, glove box door, ash tray, and all the under-hood sheetmetal needs to be painted too. I haven't decided what color to paint some of the under-hood sheetmetal yet. And since I STILL haven't chosen the final color of the rear of the car, I can't paint some of those parts yet. I may paint some myself to keep my painter focused on the big stuff and I would rather do everything I can myself anyhow. Everything on the chassis is polished, plated, powdercoated, or painted already.

The interior panel covers and seat mount brackets, as well as all the headliner tackstrip brackets in the rear are already blasted and primed with SPI or DPLF epoxy and I don't know if I'm going to do anything more to them. I had a bunch of the interior stuff like the glove box door hinge, support arm, glove box lock retainer, ash tray, dash support rods, and everything else I could think of at the time zinc plated along with my chassis hardware. The entire pedal assembly is powdercoated, plated and assembled. All the interior trim has been re-chromed and the beltline trim has been blasted and primed (may be all covered in leather). So I don't know what the remaining "1000 incidental parts" might be.

The pimary car color is orange, with the rear of it some off-white or beige color in the stock Nomad color scheme. The engine, transmission, torque arm, and differential are charcoal and I'll have charcoal leather and paint in the interior. So I may use some more charcoal under the hood too. My interior guy suggested to eliminate the off-white and use charcoal on the rear of the car, but I'm not real crazy about that idea. So I have to figure out where else to use that color.

So I'm trying to stay focused on getting the body and the other pieces ready to paint. I'll need to choose a final rear color soon and get more paint and clear ordered after I discuss what all I need with my painter.
    Last edited by chevynut; 02-13-2018 at 08:00 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3217
    Well.. it SEEMS like 1000 pieces.. every day I seem to find more parts that I need to prep... Sounds like you have a good handle on most of your 'small items'...

PS. I like the idea of a beige to go with the orange on the exterior... and the same beige might be nice on the inner fenders as well if it 'highlights' your engine?

BN, this is what I'm looking at for my exterior colors....the orange is already decided but none of the pics I've seen of it do it justice, not even my own. It's an amazing color in person especially in the sunlight. The beige is what I'm leaning toward and it's not nearly as white as some of the zillions of colors I've looked at. It's a tri-coat metallic and I don't care that it's not a GM color.

I have some powerpoint slides showing several different under-hood color schemes but can't figure out how to post them. The firewall will be flat clear (I think) over orange. The air intake and inner fenders could be either orange or charcoal (flat or gloss clear), and the beige could be on the air intake too. I don't think I'll do beige on the inner fenders. I may carry the beige into the interior on top of the console too.

Here's a shot of the under-hood area in primer. I plan to build a cover to go over the intake hose and throttle body.

20120225_0004.JPG

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I have some powerpoint slides showing several different under-hood color schemes but can't figure out how to post them.
    http://download.cnet.com/Office-Conv...-10900924.html

Your 'orange' looks like 'Sunburst Orange' that showed up on Corvettes several years ago... I think a beige would look good with it on a '56... There were two or three beiges used on Trifives.... adobe beige and dune beige are pretty close to that beige you show...?

I've decided that paint prep is a lot like one of these cars.....you're never really "done".

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

... but at some point, one has to say 'good enough'... and 'roll on'....

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I've decided that paint prep is a lot like one of these cars.....you're never really "done".
    When you think you're done block sanding, paint the car black. If the reflections look great, you're done!
    Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever finish this thing. I moved the Hemi55 into the new shop a few weeks ago so I could set up the jig and do a C4 frame build that has to be done soon and we're almost finished with that. Then 3 weeks ago I started getting a little back pain that culminated into a really bad case of sciatica that sent me to a chiropractor, then to urgent care for x-rays and shots. I was hardly able to walk for a few days and could barely stand up. It's getting better but still not healed. I helped my son lift a 350 pound frame out of the jig a couple days ago and it was kinda ugly....shouldn't have done it but I had no choice. As a result I've slowed down my progress on my Nomad.

I sure learned the value of guidecoat though. I didn't use any on the roof because I could pretty well see where I sanded, and thought I was done. Yesterday I was doing a little more sanding since somehow I apparently got overspray from epoxying the interior of the car on the roof. I have no idea how that happened but it needed to be sanded. While hand sanding I noticed a small dent behind the windshield on the passenger side. I don't remember if I knew about it when I sanded the roof and forgot about it or what . Don't see how I could have missed it. So I guide-coated the roof from the b-pillar forward and sanded that tiny dent out....didn't go to bare metal. Now I have to re-prime the spot and make sure it's truly gone.

Every time I think I'm done I find some other little spot to work on. I've blocked both quarters with guidecoat again and they look good. The entire underside is done as far as I'm going to take it. The firewall is finished and the rockers look good now. I've been working on the front of the door jambs and they need one more coat of primer in spots. The tailgate area and tailpan is done. So I'm 99% there and it's almost ready to move into the new shop so I can put the Hemi55 in there.

I haven't even started on the fenders, doors, hood, or tailgate but all of them are 90%+ blocked out from before.....without guidecoat.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

It won't (can't) ever be perfect, regardless of how long you prime/sand... and you need to leave something for your painter to do...

Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast