Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Nomad project... :)

Registered Member

Member #:1800
    I really like the engine covers on your LS! I like the retro look. The red paint looks great!
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4 dr hardtop Bel Air Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige - Purchased July 5th, 2013
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan 210 Larkspur Blue/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased Aug 6th, 2012 (not running)
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan Bel Air Canyon Coral/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased June 30th, 2013 (not running)
    - 2017 Chevrolet SS Sedan - LS3 - TR6060 - Nightfall Grey Metallic - Purchased April 2017

Member #:3217
    Thanks Hurddawg! I've liked those coil covers since I first saw them (back when LS's were new), so once I decided not to change out the plastic plenum for an 'old style looking' intake, those are what I wanted. I'm still thinking I'm going to do something to make the 'simulated valve covers' stand out a little bit once I get this thing running...

I saw my first Nomad in 1968, and I've been hooked since. That car was a Matador red with red/black interior and I've wanted one since then... this 'red' isn't matador, but it's going to have to do it for me!

Member #:530
    Lookin' good Bama!
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Thank you wagoncrazy! I'm slow as molasses (as we say down south) doing this customizing thing! You and I need to keep each other going so we can take both to a car show one of these days... years...

I received the second set of rear wheelwell seals I ordered from Danchuk, and used 'part' of one of the seals to finish up the rear wheelwells (so as not to have to do the staple things on the rear portion). I still need to let the lube that I used dry and then apply a little weatherstrip adhesive to ensure they stay in place once it's on the road.

PS. Using CNut's tip of water/simplegreen, the Danchuk (#851) seals slipped right into place. I'm only going to use the adhesive where the seal slips around the inner wheel well, and leave it dry where it's against the quarter panel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I also modified my treadlevac power brake lever/arm to use it as a 'manual brake pedal' in the Nomad. To do this it requires removing the PB brake stop on the lever, then drilling a new clevis/pushrod hole with a reduced moment arm (1.875") from the pivot. I also added the manual brake 'bump stop' rubber and I need to acquire and install a return spring for the brake pedal. I ordered and received a Manual Brake Master Cylinder from NAPA to fit a '67-76 Corvette (with manual brakes). This MC has the deep throat for the pushrod and a 1" piston bore. The 'new' NAPA part mimics the original Delco configuration but without the numbers of course...

DSC02190 (Copy).JPGDSC02201 (Copy).JPG

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Looking good Gary, keep at it!

I'm getting a little bit done.. slowly. This week, I ordered and received a Borgeson Steering column plate (with swivel collar, and test fitted it to my firewall. I will either paint body color or polish and clear coat this plate prior to final install. I also need to seal it round the periphery and will use the factory seal on the inside and cover with the carpet and the factory plastic cover. (There was/is an issue on the other site re whether this plate goes on the inside or the outside of the firewall - since it attached to weldnuts which are welded on the inside, I think it should go on the outside as I have it positioned, but there's some doubt on this!

I've also been working (slowly) for what seems a LONG time (wtih some assistance from TriFiveRichard) trying to get my exhaust downpipes ready to TIG up and finish the exhaust (at least initially)... lots of 'starts', fits', and trials here... but finally today with some assistance from my son in law we managed to get both downpipes adjusted and tacked (using a mig w/SS wire) so that the position should now be fixed. I've tentatively scheduled a fella who works at a local custom shop to bring his TIG to my shop next week and do all the welding to at least have an exhaust in place (No tailpipes in the works right now, just turndowns after the mufflers)... The exhaust will be all 304 SS wtih Magnaflow 18" mufflers and a turndown after initially.

Since my last update, I had a young fella (fantastic TIG welder!) come and weld up my exhaust pipes, which I then later modified again when I realized the mufflers were too far back and interfered with the Park Brake cables; the later modification only involved cutting the long straight pipes to move the mufflers forward (as much as possible - up to the trans support cross member). I've been thinking and worrying about how to do the muffler/exhaust hangers since... not resolved, but getting closer.

Also I've mounted up for the final time, the Holley mid-mount accessory system I ordered and finally received. I had some issues - had to wait for holley to replace some hardware they'd sent wrong, and also had to open up one of the holes in the WP bracket to get the AC comp mounted, but it looks very neat and compact installed.

I also got back the modified/retrofitted LS1 eng/trans/computer harness from a friend here who did that for me. he did a very nice neat job and the harness is lying in place with a connector to wire into the body harness and a couple of 'loose ends' to tie up a bit later (alternator and ac wiring, and IAT and MAF sensors)...

I'm closer to being able to (hopefully) finally mount the body to the chassis - didn't want to do that until all my chassis work is complete. I'm sure glad that our team member here from Nebraska convinced me that a lift would be well worth it!

Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast