Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Nomad project... :)

Member #:3217
    After getting the car 'kit' home on Saturday, washing it etc on Sunday, prepping and rewrapping the rechromed bumper parts, since then I've been going thru the boxes of parts, pulling out the first of the parts I need to clean up and paint (restore) for installation; things like hood latches since I had to tie down the hood on the trip home..

Yesterday I ordered a few parts I know I will need soon (hood bumpers front and side, body mount kit with hardware, etc). I ordered from Ecklers (via phone) so I got my 10% discount and a break on the shipping. I've been going thru a list of the 'necessary' things I must do prior to mounting the body on the chassis which include:
    1) Installing the engine/trans back on the frame so I drill the holes for the transmission support.
    2) I also want to paint the engine/trans before the final installation; I'm thinking a silver metallic single stage since the entire engine compmt is red..?
    3) Measuring the space between the C4 differential and the 'modified' spare tire well (now a storage compmt) to determine how much space I would have for a custom tank. Appears so far that I have a space approached 10" x 12" x 34" or so... which would accommodate 15 gallons or so, but I'll need to have one built to that shape/size if I don't want to modify the 'finished floor' of the Nomad. The actual design/fabrication should probably wait until the body is mounted for the best measurements and design.
    4) I need to work out the how the fuel line(s) would run up the chassis from the fuel tank... and run them before mounting the body.
    5) Park brake cables; I tentatively plan on using the existing pull handle mechanism for the '57 body and of course the C4 rear park brake assembly but I'm 'blank' on the details..

Any help/suggestions for the park brake actuation cables and the fuel line/tank issues are very welcome ..

Here are some photos after it reached my garage.. (the body was put back on the original-unrestored chassis after it was painted).. I'll post a few pix of the NEW chassis next.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 04-05-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Corvette Corrections Chassis it will go on...

This is the Billy Dawson chassis that will go under the car after I accomplish a few more necessary tasks.. The plan for the drivetrain is LS1/4L60 driving the 3.08 posi rear... The wheels/tires shown on the chassis are from a '90 ZR1 and are too wide for the Nomad...
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 04-05-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Member #:115
    Any idea how much front and rear suspension drop that chassis has? Where does the rear swaybar mount?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2442
    Bama,
    I can't help you with the gas tank issues as my 2 door sedan is completely different than a Nomad in that area. From my experience fitting the body to the frame though, I had the body on and off the new frame several times to get everything to fit properly and run the parking brake cables. The 4 post lift I built was worth the time and money it cost many times over during that process. I don't know how you plan to do that on yours but like I said I am glad I took the time to build my lift as it saved a bunch of time in the long run.
    The bottom of your Nomad looks great by the way. Hopefully you won't need to do much to make the body fit on the frame.
    Brian

Member #:115
    A Nomad/wagon has a lot more room under the cargo area than a sedan/HT does under the trunk if the spare tire well is removed. The cargo floor is a lot higher than the trunk floor. I don't know what mods were done to the spare tire well since you didn't post pics of that. The swaybar is also a consideration if it's up in that area. I personally don't think cutting more out of it and re-painting that area would be a big deal, since it's all covered anyhow....but if you're like me....

Newman used to use the stock e-brake setup and even had a cable kit for his frames that routed like stock. I'm using Lokar sheathed cables with a foot-style Lokar e-brake pedal.

By the way, your tires are set inboard too far, your track is too narrow, and your roll center is too high on that stock frame.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Custer55 View Post
    Bama,
    I can't help you with the gas tank issues as my 2 door sedan is completely different than a Nomad in that area. From my experience fitting the body to the frame though, I had the body on and off the new frame several times to get everything to fit properly and run the parking brake cables. The 4 post lift I built was worth the time and money it cost many times over during that process. I don't know how you plan to do that on yours but like I said I am glad I took the time to build my lift as it saved a bunch of time in the long run.
    The bottom of your Nomad looks great by the way. Hopefully you won't need to do much to make the body fit on the frame.
    Brian
    The chassis was *designed* for the Trifive stock mounts, so there should not be significant issues, but the IRS takes up more space than the stock differential, so using a stock wagon fuel tank is out. Billy recommends cutting out the stock spare tire well, and covering with a flat panel; he uses the large 30 gal Rick's tank and the mounts for that are mounted on his chassis already. I've often regretted buying a 4-post lift rather than a 2 post, but at the time I was double-stacking two corvettes so it solved a problem at that time. I've thought about putting a 2-post in this garage, but... I hate to get into cutting up yr old concrete to pour a thick base for it... In the past I've accomplished several body lifts/installs single-handedly without a lift at all... so I will probably take that slower approach. I don't really want to further hack on this beautiful body... .. so if I can find a way to make a smaller tank fit, I will do so. Attached is a photo of the 'storage bin' that replaced the spare tire well by the previous owner/fabricator.

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    A Nomad/wagon has a lot more room under the cargo area than a sedan/HT does under the trunk if the spare tire well is removed. The cargo floor is a lot higher than the trunk floor. I don't know what mods were done to the spare tire well since you didn't post pics of that. The swaybar is also a consideration if it's up in that area. I personally don't think cutting more out of it and re-painting that area would be a big deal, since it's all covered anyhow....but if you're like me....

Newman used to use the stock e-brake setup and even had a cable kit for his frames that routed like stock. I'm using Lokar sheathed cables with a foot-style Lokar e-brake pedal.

By the way, your tires are set inboard too far, your track is too narrow, and your roll center is too high on that stock frame.
    I just posted a photo of the 'modified storage compt' that replaced the spare tire well. I have the space between that and the IRS to place a custom tank. Estimating the rectangular space available ... 10" x 12" x 34" or so; a tank that size would hold 15-16 gallons which should be sufficient. There's a local fabricator who has made custom tanks for a few fellas, so I will probably talk to him about doing something for this.

Billy Dawson uses the Lokar sheathed cables also for his park brake, as did a friend in my area who is building a '56 on an AME chassis, but I'd like to stay as 'stock as possible on the 'user interfaces' so I will try to work out something. Billy doesn't include rear sway bars on his chassis as he thinks they aren't needed; I'm undecided about that especially with the Nomad roof/glass at the rear of the car. His frame is very rigid but...?

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Any idea how much front and rear suspension drop that chassis has? Where does the rear swaybar mount?
    Billy doesn't include rear sway bars with his chassis. No idea about 'front/rear susp drop... as I'm unsure exactly what you are asking. If you will define the term as you are using them, I'll try to answer? His frames are designed to get the c.g. as low as possible (his statement)...

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    What is your plan for the Battery location? That custom compartment looks like it would hold a plenty big tank. The sloped base should help with fuel slosh issues on hard take offs on low fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    What is your plan for the Battery location? That custom compartment looks like it would hold a plenty big tank. The sloped base should help with fuel slosh issues on hard take offs on low fuel.
    Are you thinking 'fuel bladder inside the 'storage compartment?

There should be almost an equivalent amount of space between that compartment and the IRS.. that was what I'd measured for those measures I provided.

Re battery: Perhaps the best solution is to add a battery box behind the RHS rear tire (opening into the cargo space)?? At least that's what I've been thinking, but I do not have a design in mind ... just an upholstered cover to cover it all up on the inner fender well. If anyone has a design for a box to go in that space, I'd love to see it...

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast