Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Nomad project... :)

Member #:3217
    It's really slow Paul~ but the worst thing is the 'fastener issue' that I mentioned..

In the past I've disassembled my own cars, bagging and identifying the fasteners, then cleaning/restoring the fasteners myself so reassembly was much easier. With this car I bought disassembled, no fasteners except for a few unidentified ones, so each part I work on becomes a pain when it's time to reassemble!

Window channel inner cowl drain: A couple of weeks ago I realized I hadn't installed these drains, and hadn't even purchased them, so I put them on order. This morning I installed the two plugs/hoses into the windshield channel, but I don't know where to run the hoses to drain outside the car... I look a quick look thru the AIM, but may have missed it.. Can someone give me some quick help here??

Registered Member

Member #:4482
    You are coming along good on the project. Just got to keep plugging away at stuff. Steve

Thanks Steve... Encouragement always seems to help!~

I've got a half dozen sub-projects on this car 'on hold' for one reason or another... I need to get all those finished and get more parts on the car..

Registered Member

Member #:1806

Lee, THANK YOU! I had previously put a rubber plug in that hole, but in looking today that hole appeared to be the 'best prospect' for where the drain hose should exit...

Gary

I installed the L & R drainhoses for the windshield gutter with Lee's suggestion! But I'm not sure whether to cut the extra length off right out of the cowl plug, or leave the 2-3" length there?

Today's issue: How to remove the old whisker strip from the trim at the front of the Curved Quarter glass. This is a Nomad specific issue, but hopefully one of you who have encountered/solved this problem before has a tip to help get the old worn whisker strip out of the stainless trim? I'd really like to get it apart without destroying/damaging the stainless trim.

quarter glass seal trim strip1.jpg
    crimped edge.jpg
    worn whisker strip.jpg
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 11-02-2020 at 08:17 AM.

I soaked those trim pieces (with the old/worn whisker strips) in Evaporust overnight and in the sun the next day and it did them a LOT of good; it removed all the rust and made the stainless easier to clean up, but I was only able to remove ONE (of four) whisker strips, so after giving Mikey a call, I elected to send them to him... Lots better than my bending them up trying to remove the old rusted whisker strips!

While waiting on those parts (and other sub-projects) to resolve themselves, I decided to drag out my AAW Wiring kit and begin doing a little reading. I was initially just thinking of maybe running the rear wiring bundle, but after putting the wires inside a protective wrap, I figured the Fuse panel needs to be installed first (which is what the instructions say too).. AAW recommends installing the Fuse panel up high on the inner drivers side cowl - which would seem to make it difficult to see/check fuse conditions?? The fuse panel comes with fuses installed and several wiring bundles with connectors installed and already attached to it. I need to establish the fuse panel location before I can even do the 'Rear Body' harness.
    Here is the recommended location photographed with my 'marks' for the recommended mounting holes. (And what are those existing two holes for??) Are those factory for something?
    New Fuse Panel location.jpg

Question: Have any of you used the AAW Classic Update wiring kit for a '57? Did you mount the Fuse panel as recommended, or did you find a different (better?) location for it? I'd love to see some feedback from some of you fellas that's 'been there'...

Member #:1723
    Hi Bama,
    I did install the AAW Classic Update kit on my 57. I put the fuse panel where recommended. I thought that whole wiring kit/process was one of the more straightforward and well engineered mods I incorporated.
    Regards, Doug

Thank you very much Doug... I wanted to get any feedback BEFORE I installed it rather than finding out after..

Do you have any other suggestions re the kit? Things you learned doing the install?

PS. I really like the harbor blue on your '57 HT...

Gary

Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast