Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Nomad project... :)

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Joe Lutz from Hotrod dynamics was offering one. He built it during the nomad build. The sweet dark blue one for Dan.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Billy doesn't include rear sway bars with his chassis.
    Seriously? Seems like the wrong thing to do. Any idea why he thinks a rear swaybar is not necessary? Every modern car I know of has one. Every C4 Corvette had one.

No idea about 'front/rear susp drop... as I'm unsure exactly what you are asking. If you will define the term as you are using them, I'll try to answer?
    With the front and rear suspensions set at ride height, where are the axle centerlines relative to where the stock axle centerlines would be? That's what I mean by suspension drop. My frames have a 3" front suspension drop (2" is optional) and a 2" rear suspension drop.

His frames are designed to get the c.g. as low as possible (his statement)...
    The way that's done is to lower the car as much as possible. That's why I asked the question about suspension drop. It's also about stance, if highest performance isn't what you're looking for.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Estimating the rectangular space available ... 10" x 12" x 34" or so; a tank that size would hold 15-16 gallons which should be sufficient.
    Think about where you plan to run your exhaust before you take up all the space between frame rails. Also, you can go below the bottom of the frame some without it being visible from the rear of the car. Mine is 1.5" below the frame and you can't see it from behind unless you almost lay on the floor. The bottom of my bumper is even with the bottom of the frame. I wouldn't hesitate to go even 3" or so below the frame.

20170302_007.JPG

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Perhaps the best solution is to add a battery box behind the RHS rear tire (opening into the cargo space)?? At least that's what I've been thinking, but I do not have a design in mind ... just an upholstered cover to cover it all up on the inner fender well. If anyone has a design for a box to go in that space, I'd love to see it...
    Mine is a drop-down stainless battery box that's behind the right tire. It doesn't open to the interior of the car as I didn't want a door on the wheelwell. I added two jumper posts near the battery, accessible from below the car, as well as a battery cut-off switch. I don't plan to have to access the battery regularly.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    Joe Lutz from Hotrod dynamics was offering one. He built it during the nomad build. The sweet dark blue one for Dan.
    I just took a look at HotRodDynamics website and didn't find such a product..? I'll take another cruise thru that build to see what he did (if he had any details). If I can find something to BUY which minimizes the time I have to put into it, I'd prefer to go that way as I'm anxious to get this car going..

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Seriously? Seems like the wrong thing to do. Any idea why he thinks a rear swaybar is not necessary? Every modern car I know of has one. Every C4 Corvette had one.

With the front and rear suspensions set at ride height, where are the axle centerlines relative to where the stock axle centerlines would be? That's what I mean by suspension drop. My frames have a 3" front suspension drop (2" is optional) and a 2" rear suspension drop.

The way that's done is to lower the car as much as possible. That's why I asked the question about suspension drop. It's also about stance, if highest performance isn't what you're looking for.
    I'm sure I asked Billy about that in one of our myriad of discussions before I bit the bullet and puchased his chassis, but I'm not recalling specifics of his response right now. I'll ask him again when I get a chance.

Ok, now I'm following you re the 'susp drop'.. Basically you are referring to the designed-in static position of the half shafts wrt to the axle centerline in the vertical plane? I believe you are saying that with a 2" lower position of the wheel end of the axle at 'static' will result in the halfshafts remaining closest to 'zero' (parallel) given the dynamics of movement. and that sounds 'right' to me. I should crawl under one of my ZR1's and check what chevy's static position was... ? but many corvette owners use the adjustment capability to lower their cars, which would change the static position of the half shafts nearer to 'parallel', but probably when they do that, they do so along iwth a stiffening of the suspension which further limits the up-down movement of the halfshafts dynamically.

PS. I have/had the same impression about the lack of a rear sway bar, but the thing that swayed me to his chassis is actually driving one of his tri-fives with his chassis... Was absolutely the best driving/riding Trifive I've ever ridden in or driven, and compares favorably in ride with even higher end late model sedans (Cadillac, Lincoln, BMW, etc).

Mine is a drop-down stainless battery box that's behind the right tire. It doesn't open to the interior of the car as I didn't want a door on the wheelwell. I added two jumper posts near the battery, accessible from below the car, as well as a battery cut-off switch. I don't plan to have to access the battery regularly.
    CN: I totally understand (and agree with the reasons for your choice), with the only 'con' being access to the battery when/if you ever need to; your addition of jumper posts alleviates that issue, but doesn't eliminate it.

Did you design/build your own box? OR is that something I could find and quickly implement in my car?? I'd appreciate any details/photos/etc you are willing to provide as I too agree it is advantageous to keep the battery out of the passenger compartment.

I designed and built the mount but the box is something you can buy. You can also buy the jumper lugs. Chuck Williams (Sshamu) on the other site copied my design on his 56 Nomad with no problem. I made it out of steel rod, but it could be made differently. I added one small tab to the front end at the top and that is welded to my tub.....don't think it really needed to be there but it does reinforce it better. My lower flap comes off with DZUS fasteners to make access easier, but it may be more than you want to mess with. It may work without that too.

20071002_999_7.JPG

20071002_999_12.JPG

20071208_999_3.JPG

20090301_1254.JPG

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    I just took a look at HotRodDynamics website and didn't find such a product..? I'll take another cruise thru that build to see what he did (if he had any details). If I can find something to BUY which minimizes the time I have to put into it, I'd prefer to go that way as I'm anxious to get this car going..
    He actually offered to sale them during the build not sure what page it is a long one lol.

Banned

Member #:2775

Did you forget the C7 does NOT have a rear sway bar, and there are many other vehicles that don't for some reason. What size sway bar does NASCAR use in the rear?

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast