Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Nomad project... :)

Member #:3217
    Thanks for your suggestions/comments CN... It's obvious I need to spend a little more time on this before choice of plate..

Member #:2442
    Another option would be aluminum. You would want that to be a bit thicker than the stainless, .080 to .125. It would be easier to cut and polish and can then be clear coated to keep it looking nice.

You're right Brian!~ Cutting/polishing the stainless is an issue for sure, even cutting a piece already polished is not trivial...

After buying both stainless (polished) and aluminum plates (12" x 12"), I decided to try to use the plate supplied by Vintage Air. After removing the two remaining 'stud pins' (?) from the left side of the heater box opening and removing the coil assembly atop the LS1 engine, I was able to pretty easily get the VA part into place. I drilled out the firewall locations where the pins were installed and installed 1/4-20 nutserts which allowed me to attach the plate easily with stainless fasteners and washers. Since I'm going to paint this part (either body color or argent silver), I decided to just make the smaller plate for the temp control plate out of steel as well, and I was able to cut that from a piece I'd removed from the floor which was originally for the shock mounts. So these parts are now made and attached but await my decision on 'color' to install the final time. I will use 3M strip caulk to seal around both plates at final install.

I haven't yet mounted my windshield wiper assemblies and have a good wiper motor and motor transmission, along with NOS windshield wiper transmissions. I bought these in the late 70's and they have been stored inside. When I removed the NOS parts from the box, I found them difficult to turn until I sprayed some WD40 around both ends of the shaft. I'm trying to recall if I'd ever known of these transmission having to be lubricated? I had thought with NOS parts, I could just remove them from the box, install them and GO, and didn't consider they might need some form of lubrication. They don't seem to have a mechanism for lube...? What do you fellas suggest ?? I'm going to do some online/manual digging today, but maybe one of you fellas can enlighten me?

Member #:115
    Personally I'd get rid of that stock wiper motor because it's ugly. But that's just me.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

I appreciate the sentiment, as many people feel that way.. but I have good electric motors, and NOS transmissions, so I didn't feel I needed to spend 'new $$' and time to figure out the modern replacements. My '56 Nomad has the 'replacement' mechanical system (all under the dash), and I don't see that the function is improved or different (if any) from the original system as long as the transmission cables are good, so that's why I'm installing the original system. I place 'function and accessibility' ahead of 'appearance' in most of my attempts at customization - which are limited at best~ and one of my 'peeves' with the installation of additional components under/behind the dash if the restriction/elimination of original functions (like orig radios and glove compartments).

PS. I found the online instructions from the Service Manual (easier than going to get my SM)...
    http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...55csm0104.html

The only lubrication specified was to lubriplate the outside surface of the aux drive drums and the cable pulley grooves on the transmissions. Some people *rebuild* the transmissions, which likely consist or replacing the cables and perhaps lubricating the inner shaft?? Do any of you here know?

Member #:3
    FYI Guys

If you Buy Stainless Steel and want to polish it
    304 is OK , T316L is better & best is 317L
    T316 & T317 Have more Nickel in it so it will polish up quicker and shiner

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Personally I'd get rid of that stock wiper motor because it's ugly. But that's just me.
    Most of the millions of the people that bought these cars new did not care what they looked like under the hood, or had never even opened it.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Most of the millions of the people that bought these cars new did not care what they looked like under the hood, or had never even opened it.
    What does that have to do with anything today? But I suppose they worried about the color of a radiator support or what kind of shiny metal to use as a cover plate on the firewall.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    But then the wipers would not work. I took a different approach, because the distributor cap was so tight (having a BBC) I reversed the motor and all it’s workings and mounted it under the dash. Yes a bit of re-engineering but it works well and not in the way of the distributor and cap.

Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast