Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Nomad project... :)

Registered Member

Member #:571
    If it was mine I'd paint the radiator support and related pieces the same color as the inner fenders. I'd leave the rest bare aluminum, unless the mfr. has already polished or brush finished the tanks. If they have I'd paint them the argent silver color. The raw aluminum will not tarnish like a polished/brushed aluminum will.

Member #:530
    I'd paint the support red and the radiator silver.
    I vote for this color combo...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:3217
    I think I've come around to that thinking; after many years doing original restorations/preservations, I really like the semi-gloss black underhood, but given the way this car is being built and how the inner fenders are painted (body color), I think the core support needs body color as well. I'll paint the radiator tank/brackets the same argent silver I painted the motor/trans assembly to make it better maintainable (easier to clean)...

Registered Member

Member #:1625
    Gary

It looks great just the way it is.

Mike

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    Quote Originally Posted by mmsalt View Post
    Gary

It looks great just the way it is.

Mike

Agree, what’s objectionable the way it is? Close the hood and drive it.........

Member #:3
    Gary , I really Like it as it is

Very Nice !!!

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Thanks for your comments fellas! My main issues are this:

1) bare aluminum gets dirty looking and collects grease/crud fairly quickly. I'm not skilled or patience enough to polish, so I want to paint the radiator tanks/brackets (not the radiator portion).

2) Whether to paint the support to match the radiator or to match the firewall/inner fenders was the real question.

I like selected contrast in paint, so I'll paint the rad support/etc red to match the car (and to not be so bright behind the grill), and paint the radiator tanks the argent silver.

I'll provide an update once I do that, but it might be awhile since I've got so much to do on this car...

Gary

In answer to CN's questions:...

Some of us have to (do it ourselves), as we have no one else to do it, and we can't afford to take them to a shop..
    Maybe we are working on them rather than taking photos and reporting? OR .. we are too lazy to report on our progress?

The last few months, among taking the '56 to car shows and doing lawn work!, I've been polishing stainless, making sure I have all the fasteners/etc to install it, etc and studying how I'm going to install the Nomad glass (and making sure I have the necessary small bits to get it done!). Here's a photo showing my progress (or lack thereof) for polishing/installing side stainless on my '57!

Last night I had to remove the rear tires (AND loose the bottom of the shock) to get the tires out) so as to finish installing the nuts on the clips. I had bought the Ol'55 kits for side trim installs, which came with speed nuts or tinnerman nuts, and which didn't work very well. I think I got a handful of those nuts installed, but finally purchased washers/reg nuts to finish the retention of the trim!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 08-02-2019 at 07:02 AM.

Now it's time for the fin/crown mouldings... I've restored the mouldings and the insert with new studs. Does anyone have any suggestions for reinsertion of the inserts and installing of the mouldings on the car? Engaging the crown moulding with the rear fin moulding is causing me a lot of thinking without resolution so far..

Should I install the tail light housings before doing this??

Banned

Member #:2775
    Your car is looking fantastic. Dealing with any kind of trim is a nightmare for me. If I don't bend or break it taking it off, I will putting it back on. Hard to imagine that when these things were rolling down the assembly line, they were probably all trimmed out in minutes instead of weeks, or years.

Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast