Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Nomad project... :)

Member #:3217
    You're right... the BEST SOLUTION is to NOT have the problem (NO runs!).. but between my poor eyesight, never enough LIGHT, and not being familiar with the base/clear paint... That's probably not going to happen for me (but I do prefer doing ALL my own work).. I think I'll just paint anything that I PAINT in the future with single stage (adding some clear into the final coats) which I'm more familiar with doing and less danger of sanding/cutting thru..

And when my '55 Nomad (metallic regal turquoise) has to be painted... I suppose I'll have to find a base/clear expert to paint that one!~

My 'other' '57 Nomad orig color is tropical turquoise/ivory - non metallic), so it'll get single stage.. and I'll try that one myself.

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    You sure can't spray without adequate lighting, and the older you get the more light you need. I bought this spray gun light about a year ago, but I've been doing all metal work, so I haven't used it yet.
    http://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=166...201552&t=1

There is also this one on Amazon for a lot less. I can't really comment on either one.
    https://www.amazon.com/GunBudd-Universal-Spray-Lighting-System/dp/B07XKF3HXL

You know painting is like anything else, it takes a lot of practice to be good. You don't need a booth for practice, but you do need good equipment. I have 5000rp Sata and Iwata spray guns, but the Iwata suits me better, just my style.

Its fun spending your money, let me know when you run out.

Hey Lee!~ I've got one of those 'headset lights' I never use.. I think it would strap around my paint cup~ Instead of being a COB/LED spray gun lamp, it would be a Bama Cobbled spray gun lamp~

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    I have heard that Strap-ons were never as good as the real thing.
    When you repurpose something check the weight, which can be an issue during long painting sessions, and how solvent friendly is it, you have to be able to clean it. Will the lens scratch when cleaning is also something to think about.

Lee... I will leave any discussion of the pros/cons of strap ons to you ...

Getting back to my Nomad project, there was some discussion on installing tack strips .. and I've decided to proceed and install mine now (I can't think of anything I can screw up on that task (but I'm sure if it's possible, I'll find it!~)..

Michael Domaracki has suggested doing it early, so I'm thinking there's nothing preventing me from installing it all now. My 'tabs' are all in good shape; the channels were painted pretty well when the car was painted; I remember several prior threads where various techniques were suggested: ie. sand the backside and GLUE them in and use the tabs and even sheet metal screws or rivets to further hold in place...

I have several different types of adhesive.. (weldwood contact adhesive, 3M super weatherstrip adhesive, and something called Flex glue- which I've never used) -see photo. After sanding with coarse paper (40-100?) which of the adhesives would you fellas recommend for glueing? Given that I have good tabs, should I also add rivets or sheet metal screws?

is it better to bend over the tabs quickly (wtih a plastic hammer?) or slowly (with constant pressure?) since I know some might break off if done the wrong way?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does ANYONE sell reproduction parts or kits that are complete, with instructions that match the parts, and that match the car's requirements???? I'm beginning to think NOT...

I ran into the FIRST issue when checking the contents of the #11778 'Nomad tack strip kit' versus the 'instructions' (as they exist - see photo for the 'instructions')...

55-57 Nomad Tack Strip #11778 - Contents do not match the listing:

(1) 50"x1/8" for top of windshield (OK -got this one)
    (2) 9" x 1/8" for top of rear door opening (below the beltline) - Got this one too
    (2) 9" x 1/8" for door glass - don't have this one and have no idea where it would go on a Nomad door? HELP???
    (2) 58"x 3/8" for above quarter windows - Got these..
    (2) 16"x 3 /8" for rear of door opening (from floor up) - ????
    (2) 28" x 3/8" for behind FRONT doors - ????
    (2) 39" x 3/8" for over door windows... OK
    (1) 48" x 3/8" for over liftgate. OK...

The ones with problems or questions have questions in RED..
    (2) 9" x 1/8" for door glass - don't have this one and have no idea where it would go on a Nomad door? HELP???
    (2) 16"x 3 /8" for rear of door opening (from floor up) - ????
    (2) 28" x 3/8" for behind FRONT doors - ????

1. There are locations (~ 16-18" long) with tabs to the right and left of the Tailgate, but no parts identified in the kit???
    2) Do Nomad doors (or glass?) really have a need for a tack strip??
    The 16" pieces and 28" pieces are both identified for 'rear of, or behind' the 'front doors'.. (All Nomad doors are FRONT)..

Behind the door opening, from the beltline down, there seems to be a 9" length for 1/8" tack strips, then a longer area below that to the floor for a thicker strip (3/8"). WHO knows what this really should be??

Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Member #:2775
    I too would like to know more about these tack strip things. All I know is I have like hundreds of sharp pointy things sticking straight out, and I don't know what to do with them yet. I have several scars to prove it.

Those tabs push down over the tack strip to hold the tackstrip in place... but be careful because I'm sure they won't take an indefinite number of times being 'bent', and they've been bent once in the factory and at least bent UP once to remove the orig tack strip.

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    I too would like to know more about these tack strip things. All I know is I have like hundreds of sharp pointy things sticking straight out, and I don't know what to do with them yet. I have several scars to prove it.
    To give a better answer for how to avoid 'scars' from them, I'd suggest going ahead and installing the tack strips and push them down over the tackstrips to hold them in place. but I would NOT bend them again until then... ?

PS. I understand that the plastic strips are available in rolls or lengths which should be much cheaper than these 'so called' kits that the vendors sell for $75-80... then you can cut your own as required.
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 07-17-2020 at 06:52 AM.

Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast