Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Nomad project... :)

Member #:1723
    Hi Bama,
    I don't think they clash either. The chrome trim helps to differentiate the areas, as does the difference in glossiness. I think the viewer's mind recognizes these are two different media, and doesn't require they exactly match.
    Regards, Doug

Member #:3217
    Well, before I bought this 'victory red' body, I asked both my wife and daughter what they thought about the 'differing colors' and they both thought they'd go OK together, but I wanted to get 'Car Guys' opinions also~ Thanks fellas... I suppose the proof will be in the pudding (if I ever get it all together)... hopefully people won't go "UGH" when they walk by it...

I had intended to paint my 'other '57' Matador Red, but when the opportunity to buy this one with the body already in color came along... I decided to save myself the pain of 'paint shop hell'... but didn't realize I traded one problem (going thru a paint shop) for another (having to paint a myriad of small parts - instrument cluster, glove box door, garnish mouldings, ad infinitum) and trying to match the color!
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 09-27-2020 at 06:49 AM.

Back to my Nomad project:
    I'm still getting familiar with the SPI epoxy, and I wanted to spray single stage color today, so I called SPI... told them I sprayed their epoxy primer on cleaned new chrome yesterday afternoon (My liftgate drip rail) and asked what I needed to do to spray and how long to wait. The information I got from Brian was this:
    1) recommend waiting 24 hrs before top coating, but depending on temp can be sooner.
    2) Up to 7 days after epoxy can topcoat without sanding or scuffing. no additional primer required if the surface is good.

So I waited the 24 hrs and sprayed single stage urethane top coat (with some extra clear mixed into the final coats) this afternoon directly onto the epoxy without doing anything. It looks good so far! Along with the drip rail on my liftgate, I also sprayed the retainer strips for the forward windlace retainers (front of the doors), and the large screws for securing the tailgate hinges to the body.

I received my IDIDIT tilt column back from IDIDIT yesterday, so tomorrow I'll test fit it and verify the extra inch they added to the column addresses the issue I had, then remove it and repeat the epoxy/paint process on the column and a 15" repro steering wheel I bought a couple of years ago. I'm liking the SPI epoxy more each tim
    e I use it!

liftgate drip rail.JPG

dr side-.JPG

Last edited by BamaNomad; 10-02-2020 at 05:54 PM.

I realized a few days ago that CARS didn't send me the windlace for my '57 Nomad (red/black interior) when I ordered the rest of the interior (a handful of years ago). I recall specifically that CARS TOLD ME that the red/black interior for a '57 Nomad would have used BLACK carpet (that I received), but have no recollection about the windlace color. Also didn't get the rear fenderwell covers.. but they sent me a big roll of 'black vinyl'... I suppose they thought I'd sew my own windlace and fenderwell covers?? SHEESH...

Do any of you know what color the windlace should be for a factory red/black Nomad interior?? I suppose it should be black and match 'black' kickpanel covers? No kick panel covers either...

If any of you have or have had a '57 Nomad with red/black interior or recent work with one, I'd appreciate your recollection (rather than dig thru 40 yrs of National Nomad Convention photographs - prints of course!)...

Member #:615
    I found this Nomad for sale on line. https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...shington-98119 It appears to have the original style interior. It shows the wind lace as being black and the rear fender well covers as red.

The last CARS interior I ordered the material for the seat shells was left out. I realized it months later and called them and they sent me the material I needed. Sounds like they need to check their orders better before sending them out.

Thanks Tabasco! It's probably been too long since I ordered this interior kit to be telling them that they 'left stuff out'; maybe I just failed to order those items? ... but I will call them and discuss it, and order the missing items either way!

The '57 Nomad you referenced appears EXACTLY like the first Nomad that ever 'grabbed' my eyes, and led to my affinity for Nomads even today over 50 yrs later! That one was owned by an airman from Nebraska and I wanted it so badly!
    The one in this ad shows that it was originally a six cylinder, but now has a V8 apparently. It also has the 3-spd on the column with an OD... Maybe I should have purchased this car and saved all the $$ I'm spending on making a restomod of it..

I called CARS Saturday morning, intending to order all the missing items, I went over the items I purchased from my invoice, and 'Joe' told me... 'you should have all that stuff as it's included with the side panel kit'... so he told me to open up the side panels, separate the two pieces (styrofoam in the middle), and all the parts I thought I was missing were between the panels! ... the kick panels, windlace, vinyl covered rear panels, wheel well covers, etc! .. so I saved ordering $450 of parts that I already have!

I did end up ordering $65 of parts, mostly fasteners, but among what I ordered was a tailgate hinge repair kit (new pins, and bushings. Has anyone here rebuilt their hinges before? I'm hoping this kit will 'fix' the sloppy hinge, but if the new bushings don't fix it, then I suppose I can take the hinge centers to a machine shop and have them 'drill and fit' an oversize bushing?

Well, after failing to even *move* the pin in the hinge even with a 20T press, I need help! HOW is one to remove the old hinge pin for rebuilding the hinge??

Doing some other things while the 'hinge pin' issue percolates in my head...
    I'd love some suggestions or information from you guys. About all I can think to do it have the pins *machined* out so I can install the new bushings and pins...??

Todays' task was to begin installing parts on the liftgate, beginning with chasing threads on all the threaded holes... then installing the painted base piece with new stainless hardware, and the new (just received) Mooks anti-rattle plate, which is a very heavy piece (adding to an already heavy liftgate). The new part is a polished/mirror 14 gauge stainless part which replaces the three pieces as designed from the factory. It comes with the tailgate guide already installed - also in polished stainless steel and with pieces of extreme dynamat on the back sides of the larger areas, and with stainless #6-32 screws (12) for attachment.

It's heavier already, even though I haven't installed the glass in it as yet. I want to hang it on the car and see how it all fits before I remove it to install the glass. I also ordered the stainless gas supports but one of the brackets was missing from the package (waiting for Michael to send me a replacement), then I will hang the liftgate sans the glass to reduce the weight a bit .. to check the fit of the gate and w/s crush...

On another task tonight, I'd planned to remove and prep the IDIDIT tilt column and steering wheel for paint (tomorrow was the plan). A couple of days ago I trial fitted my returned IDIDIT column (added an inch to the length to get it thru the firewall), and I was going to remove it and take it to my other shop tomorrow to paint the column and steering wheel. I seem to have enough column poking out of the firewall to let the shifter work now, but In attempting to install the steering wheel to the column splines, I was unable to get it even to begin on the splines! is this a known problem with the 15" chinese replica wheels??? I bought this wheel at the 2019 TriFive Convention from 'Southern Rods' I believe. I'll call them tomorrow, but if any of you have had this issue (and know of a solution??).. please let me know... I'm wondering if this is a known problem and is going to require returning the wheel....
    Meanwhile, I suppose I could proceed with painting the column, but I really wanted to paint them at the same time...

Here is a photo of the end of the column as it pokes thru the firewall (with the inch added)...

Why didn't one of you guys tell me that doing a custom car with after market parts would be such a PITA hassle???
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 10-06-2020 at 06:23 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Have you tried a stock wheel on the splines just to rule out a problem with the column? If not, I would do that next.

Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast