Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Nomad project... :)

Member #:115
    Custer55, do you know offhand what your lever ratio actually is?

Here's my Lokar e-brake pedal in place. It gets a little crowded up there with the Raingear and my brake bellcrank:

20071111_999_19.JPG
    Last edited by chevynut; 04-15-2017 at 08:20 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2442
    Maybe 4 to 1 to 5 to 1 range. I'll measure it on the original lever if I can find it. My car is to low to crawl underneath!! If you look at page 9 & 10 on my build thread I have a picture of the original lever and the one I made side by side.
    Brian
    Last edited by Custer55; 04-15-2017 at 08:57 AM. Reason: typo

Member #:3217
    I want to put my 'newest' 57 Nomad on the Corvette Corrections Chassis soon, but I need tires/wheels that I KNOW will work before I do, so I can at least roll the assembly around in my shop. The chassis has an extra set of 1990 ZR1 wheels on it now, which I'm sure are too wide for the body, and the rear tires are VERY close to the chassis (see photo). Measured backspace for those wheels/tires are ~ 7.5".

I borrowed a set of a friend's C5 speedline wheels yesterday and tried them today and found out they have too much backspace. I *thought* he had a set of 17x8.5 wheels which I thought *might* work, but I found out differently. Apparently the std C5 wheels are all the same: 17x8.5x58mm OS for front and 18x9.5x65mm OS for the rear. The rear C5 tires/wheels have a backspace ~ 8.25", and the fronts have a backspace close to the same as the rear C4 ZR1 wheels (~7.5"). So C5 wheels are OUT.. (I had originally hoped to use the Speedline magnesium wheels on my chassis...

I got under the rear of the Nomad and measured across the cargo box (ie. the inner measure of the wheelwell) just behind the hump up and measured 46.5" (see Photo), which basically is the same as Billy Dawson designed his frame (46.5"), so that makes sense...

I think the Inside of my final wheels/tires should be ~ an inch from the frame/body .. so for the chassis I have, I need rear wheels/tires with a backspace no greater than ~6.5". I don't want to 'push' the size close to either the inside or outside constraints, even if I have to go with more narrow wheels/tires.

I'm currently looking at the set of Ridler 695 wheels (17x7 front and 17x8 rear) which have less than 5" backspace - including the tires - on the rear.

Is that rear wheel going to put me too close to the body since the clearance on the inside will be ~ 2.5 - 3"...?

Are 17x7 wheels (zero OS) going to give me a problem on the front with the C4 corvette suspension?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 04-19-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I'm currently looking at the set of Ridler 695 wheels (17x7 front and 17x8 rear) which have less than 5" backspace - including the tires - on the rear.

Is that rear wheel going to put me too close to the body since the clearance on the inside will be ~ 2.5 - 3"...?

Are 17x7 wheels (zero OS) going to give me a problem on the front with the C4 corvette suspension?
    From my experience I don't think either one of those will work for you. On the rear of mine the offset with the 3/16 spacer is 52mm (7.25 BS) and on the front the offset is the stock (for 90 Vette) 56mm (7.4375 BS). Another way to look at it is the front space of the wheels. (mounting surface to the outside edge of the wheel) On the back of mine It is 3.25", on the front it is 3.06" so I think you need to be close to that to have decent clearance to the outside wheel wells and fenders. Assuming you have the 88 and up suspension. If you like the look of C5, C6 and C7 wheels there is sellers on Ebay selling replica wheels with offsets and widths that will work with C4 Corvettes. If you just need a cheap set of wheels and tires to get things set up 93 to 94 and up Camaro and Firebird will work well and you can probably find a set of those fairly cheap. I used 1995 Trans Am wheels and tires to set up mine. I had an extra set of 4 I bought for $200. with tires that were in pretty good shape yet.
    Brian

Thanks Brian... I had a fear that would be true due to the big clearance on the inside for those wheels/tires, but if I understood correctly, you are running 9.5" wide 90 Corvette wheels all the way around without issues? I'm not sure I followed your explanation re the spacer.. if you have to run a 3/16" spacer, then that moves the wheel 3/16" farther outside, effectively reducing the 'backspace of the wheels' ? Is the stock offset for the 90 (9.5" wheels) 56 mm (which is 2.2")?? Which means the factory 'backspace' for those wheels would be (5" + 2.2") or 7.2" .. OK.. that's basically what you said.. so with the spacer you reduced the factory backspace of 7.2" by 3/16" achieving around 7" backspace? and that works on the back for you? and the factory 7.2 BS works for you on the front? How much clearance do you have on the backside and frontside of those wheels??

and Yes, I have post-1988 C4 parts...

Thanks Brian... I had a fear that would be true due to the big clearance on the inside for those wheels/tires, but if I understood correctly, you are running 9.5" wide 90 Corvette wheels all the way around without issues? I'm not sure I followed your explanation re the spacer.. if you have to run a 3/16" spacer, then that moves the wheel 3/16" farther outside, effectively reducing the 'backspace of the wheels' ? Is the stock offset for the 90 (9.5" wheels) 56 mm (which is 2.2")?? Which means the factory 'backspace' for those wheels would be (5" + 2.2") or 7.2" .. OK.. that's basically what you said.. so with the spacer you reduced the factory backspace of 7.2" by 3/16" achieving around 7" backspace? and that works on the back for you? and the factory 7.2 BS works for you on the front? How much clearance do you have on the backside and frontside of those wheels??

and Yes, I have post-1988 C4 parts...
    The stock backspace is 7.4375 (56mm offset) on the 9.5" Corvette wheels. (5.25 + 2.2 offset) With the 3/16" spacer in back it makes it a 7.25 backspace. I did that to center the rear tire and wheel better in the wheel well. Clearance is tight front and back with these wheels but I have not had any rubbing issues. I would go up to a 10" wheel in back and an 8 1/2" or 9" in front if I were buying new wheels (with the right offset / backspace of course)

I've got two sets of extra ZR1 wheels... I suppose I could use all the fronts which would be the same as you are running and at least use them to roll around in the shop til I figure out what to purchase...? .. and buy a pair of 3/16" spacers.. I thank you for the comments and explanation..

Are you running 275x40 tires??

Banned

Member #:2775
    On my C4 chassis I just have some zero offset 15x7 wheels on it minus brake calipers to roll it around. Finally made good use out of the ugly ass wheels I bought years ago I can't seem to sell. IMG_0197.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 04-19-2017 at 04:24 PM.

I've got two sets of extra ZR1 wheels... I suppose I could use all the fronts which would be the same as you are running and at least use them to roll around in the shop til I figure out what to purchase...? .. and buy a pair of 3/16" spacers.. I thank you for the comments and explanation..

Are you running 275x40 tires??
    I was using 275/40/17 all the way around as I borrowed the wheels and tires off of my wife's 90 Corvette. I bought my own tires now so I have 285/40/17 on the rear and 255/40/17 on the front. You may or may not need a spacer as I did on mine. Your 57 Nomad could be slightly different than my 55. I would just bolt them on as is and that will give you a good starting point to figure our what will work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    On my C4 chassis I just have some zero offset 15x7 wheels on it minus brake calipers to roll it around. Finally made good use out of the ugly ass wheels I bought years ago I can't seem to sell. IMG_0197.JPG

RD? You actually PAID money for those wheels?? J/K.. but I agree with your assessment..

Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast