Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Nomad project... :)

Member #:3217
    Brian: I will try your suggestion tomorrow.. (ie. just bolt front 90 wheels on the rear).. Maybe that will let me get the body on the frame before I buy new tires..

Member #:115
    In your post above your use of "backspace" is confusing and incorrect. You typically don't include the tire when referring to backspacing and your example is why I prefer to talk about offset. You can measure wheel offset by measuring from both sides of the tire to the mounting surface. The offset is HALF of the difference between those measurements.

With a stock wheelwell like you have, the 46.5" is correct as you can see in my tire/wheel calculator. If you want 1" clearance to the tires you need an inside width of 48.5" mimimum. The wheelwells should be on the order of 71.5" wide. You need a minimum of maybe 1/2" clearance there too, so the outside of your tires should be at 70.5" or narrower.

To use all the available space for a tire given the above constraints, you can fit an 11" tire in the wheelwell...that's about a 275. The rear track is 59.5". Since the late C4 rearend is 63.25" wide you need a wheel offset of 48mm to get the tires in the body with those clearances. More positive offset moves the tire closer to the tub, and less offset moves it closer to the quarter panel.
    Last edited by chevynut; 04-22-2017 at 08:33 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

I understand the correct definition of 'backspace', CN.. I measured to the TIRE bulge, since that was the closer point to touching my chassis (which is also why I qualified my use of the term)..

I DO appreciate your feedback and information... each time I go thru this stuff it makes a little bit more sense to me and I gain some confidence in determining the wheels/tires I need for my combination.. I'm getting closer, but still 'not there'..

Note: I'm more interested in finding wheels and tires which will give me no issues mounting or dismounting than I am with 'maximizing' the tire size. Anything I do is going to be MUCH more tire on the ground than the 5" stock wheel size allows.. If I could fit a 15" wheel over the brakes, I'd be perfectly content with a 15x7 wheel with 235 tires (which is what I'm running on the '56 Nomad), BUT.. I need 17" minimum wheel dia to clear the Corvette 'big brakes', so I'm slow coming to terms with all this.. Right now I'm thinking 17x7 wheels on the front and 17x8 on the rear, OR 17x7.5 all the way around.. but I want to get the offset/backspace just right to prevent issues and have it look decent as well.

Try the wheel/tire calculator and input your car's dimensions. It will give you the clearances as you change tire sizes and wheel offset. In the rear I think if you stay around 50mm offset any tire from 275 or under will fit fine with the corresponding wheel width. As the wheel and tire get narrower you have more room to change the offset one way or other. In front you should be able to get away with close to 68" overall tire width with the C4 suspension and steering rack.

If you already know what your wheel offset is and what tire size you want, it's not hard to figure out where the tire will sit and whether you need wheel spacers or not. And remember that wheel width usually isn't the issue, tire width is. I never recommend a wheel that's wider than the tire section width.

From what you're saying I think you'd be happy with a 225 or 235 tire in front, and a 245 or 255 in the rear. Those are conservative sizes and should fit easily. Once you pick the tire size, you can figure out what wheel width and offset you need.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

OK fellas... After much searching, calculating (using the tire/wheel calculator onsite), I *think* I've found a wheel/tire combination that will work on all 4 corners with my '57 Nomad body on my Corvette Corrections chassis ('88 and later C4 suspensions)... Tire and Wheel Information 245-45/17 tire on 17x8.5" wheel with 49 mm OS

Front wheel spacing:

Tire clearance to front lip on fender 1.56
    Over all width outside to outside tire 67.86 should be 68" or less on a dropped front end

Rear wheel/tire spacing:

Tire clearance to lip on quarter 1.29
    Inside tire clearance 1.56

I *almost* ordered the wheels tonight, but thought I'd better ask someone to double check my use of the calculator first.. Any information on Custom Wheels Marketing would be appreciated, but their ebay rating is 100%...
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 05-09-2017 at 09:35 PM.

Which wheels did you decide to go with? Are you planning to use a 245 in front and rear? You could go with a 255 in the rear on that wheel but it may be a little narrow for a 275.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

I checked into using the same tires all the way around, but when it's time to order, I might go smaller on the front and larger on the rear. The wheels that I found that *seemed* to work (based on the calculator) are these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361959085047...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I would probably buy chrome or polished ones like this if I could find them, but if not, the silver painted ones work for me..

What do you think about using those wheels on all four corners?? Do you think they will work with the chassis and 57 Nomad body?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    What do you think about using those wheels on all four corners?? Do you think they will work with the chassis and 57 Nomad body?
    I said above :

"In the rear I think if you stay around 50mm offset any tire from 275 or under will fit fine with the corresponding wheel width. As the wheel and tire get narrower you have more room to change the offset one way or other. In front you should be able to get away with close to 68" overall tire width with the C4 suspension and steering rack."

The C4 hub pilot diameter is 70.1mm and those wheels are 70.7" so they should work if you like them.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:2442
    Bama,
    Those wheels should work well with the 88 and up C4 set up. They are the same backspace as the 8" Trans Am wheels I started out with, and I had lots of clearance to the outside wheel wells with those (probably to much). If your thinking about smaller tires on the front and bigger on back I would look at some of the websites selling tires to see what is available that will work on those wheels. Not all tire brands have the same tire size availability, so you need to find a tire you like also that will be available in the sizes you want. You could contact the ebay seller also to see if they have that same style wheel in size that would allow a larger tire in back.
    Brian

I ordered those wheels this morning, with expectation that they will arrive before I leave for the Smokey Mountain Classics show on the 18th (so I will be here to receive/inspect/accept them)..

I thought about ordering the 18x9.5 wheel for the rear, but decided I'd be happier without worrying about different sized wheels; I may decide the same thing about the tires, Or I may juggle the sizes a little. The height of the 245-45/17 tires is the same as the stock tire on the 2002 Z28 (which my engine/trans came from). The Z28 used a 2.73:1 axle ratio, whereas mine is 3.08. I think it's close enough to work well, but will give me a little bit of a gear advantage.. and I may decide to move the back tires UP in size to the largest that the wheel will support, and possibly decrease the width of the front tires to the smallest recommended for the 8.5" wheels. I can't wait to get them and verify that they will 'work' with my combination; it's been worrying me and occupying a lot of my time looking at various wheels which 'might' work..

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help..

I want to clean/paint the engine/trans/driveshaft, and position the trans support (and drill the holes for the support) before I put the body on the chassis, but now I hope I can concentrate on those items since the tires/wheels won't be occupying my mind..

PS. I'm leaning towards an all season Grand Touring type tire, or possibly an all season high perf.. which gives me many tire options within the 225-245 width range.

Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast