Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Nomad project... :)

Member #:3217

Another Nomad project... :)

Today I went to Nashville, TN and completed purchase of another Nomad (57) project, then trailered it home.. This is a Nomad 'kit', but the main attraction to me is that the body work and paint have been completed (a few years ago), but the owner ran into $$ difficulty and didn't complete it. The bodywork and paint are nicely done (and certainly cured by now).. The body is sitting on the original frame again, barely bolted on and it will come back off and go onto my Corvette Corrections chassis. I will also use the LS1/4L60 trans combo and all the other prepared/restored parts which I'd completed for my other '57 Nomad (bodywork/paint NOT complete as yet). Attached are some photos of the car as I purchased it... I'll post more photos here as I prepare the parts and begin assemblying the car... PS. This is an early Nov '56 LA assembly, spent some time in southern Calif, then went to Texas in the 80's.. and to Nashville TN about 10 yrs ago. Originally was a sierrra gold/adobe beige car before the repaint...

55786840-770-0@2X.jpg55786874-770-0@2X.jpg55786882-770-0@2X.jpg55786895-770-0@2X.jpg

Registered Member

Member #:2579
    What an awesome find! You ought to have a much more fun build just bolting parts together and not having to mess with body any paint work. The PO sure picked the right color red. It ought to be a beautiful car when done.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Congrats Bama.

Member #:115
    I personally sometimes think red is overdone on these cars , but that sure looks like some nice paint work. I like the fact that it's painted inside and out too like a new car is. It is BC/CC or single stage paint...I assume the latter? Do guys ever paint the inside with BC/CC too? I usually see the inside masked off for some reason and I'd thought about painting the inside of mine myself before the outside gets painted.

Should be fun assembling it and it'll be a beauty when done. Congrats on the find!
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Thanks guys. I spent today washing the dust off, and polishing off the little spots/scuffs that were there, and after all that I'm even happier about the paint. It seems to be an awesome paint job performed by a man who knew what he was doing! Even the bottom side is painted like the top. I tend to be more of an original guy, trying to mimic the way the factory did things, so this will be a little bit different for me.. and hopefully I can do it justice. I also painted the backside of the rechromed bumpers and tomorrow will clean those up and apply some wax so they will preserve until I install them. I want to totally paint the engine and trans (thinking a silver metallic since the entire engine compartment is RED). I also have an unpolished AutoRad radiator system to install - although I might have to polish that too to keep up with the paintwork.. I have a not too small amount of work to do before I install the body on the chassis, and after that I'm going to have some questions about the *best order* to install wiring, dash components, lights, assemblies, and stainless/brightwork... The color I was told is 'Super Red' - a color used in the early 2000's on Chevy's smaller vehicles. PPG paint was used; the owner told me it was base clear, but really it looks like a single stage to me, although the painter may have mixed in some additional clear on the top coats. I'm hoping that the original red/black interior materials I have will work with this color. If it doesn't I'll be trying to come up with something compatible in an original-appearing pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustaddict View Post
    What an awesome find! You ought to have a much more fun build just bolting parts together and not having to mess with body any paint work. The PO sure picked the right color red. It ought to be a beautiful car when done.
    Yes; having the bodywork/paint FINISHED was my primary attraction to this car... I think I purchased a 'paint job', and got a Nomad tossed into the deal~ In my area of North Alabama, finding a decent painter that follows thru on his commitment, and doesn't specialize in emptying the owner's pocket book is a real challenge... which is why my first '57 Nomad is sitting in MY shop incomplete...

Member #:2442
    That's a great looking project. Nice to have one with a nice paint job already done. I look forward to seeing your progress updates!!
    Brian

Registered Member

Member #:625
    great start, a lot of hard work done.

Member #:3
    I like it , A really good start .
    post some pictures as you put it together.

Thanks Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member

Member #:2579
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Yes; having the bodywork/paint FINISHED was my primary attraction to this car... I think I purchased a 'paint job', and got a Nomad tossed into the deal~ In my area of North Alabama, finding a decent painter that follows thru on his commitment, and doesn't specialize in emptying the owner's pocket book is a real challenge... which is why my first '57 Nomad is sitting in MY shop incomplete...
    It ain't just Alabama. That is pretty much everywhere you look.

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast