Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Nomad project... :)

Member #:2017
    Nice job finding staples that work. I had heard that many restoration shops were bending up their own using Stainless TIG wire.
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    How about a picture of that broken screw/bolt? I may have a more reliable and easy way to get it out.

Member #:3217
    I didn't get a chance to work on that today Lee.. . so I will definitely take a photo and post it here.. The broken off partial is sticking up out of the nut plate a tiny amount.. not enough to 'grab' with anything I don't believe. My plan was to file/grind it flat so I could start a small drill bit in the center and then enlarge it enough for a decent easy out... If the nutplate could be easily removed, that would make it much easier... Do you know? ...I'm always open and looking to find a better way~

It's hard for me to believe that anyone would BREAK off a bolt and leave it in thru the body prep/paint phase (I bought this car fully body painted, but totally diasssembled still and with none of the small removable parts painted.. (I think it's worse than doing it all yourself from the original...?
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 09-02-2020 at 04:48 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    If there isn't enough sticking out to weld a nut to, then weld a washer to it, then a nut to the washer. The heat will break it loose, and a mig shouldn't harm the paint much if any. A paint touch up wouldn't show under the hinge anyway.

I tried welding a washer/nut to the partial bolt but wasn't enough sticking out to weld to (for me).. every time I'd try to weld it on, it would fall off.. so I gave up on that task for awhile and 'thought' about it. Today I decided to try another idea.. I used a worn out cutoff wheel (maybe an inch in dia) and manage to cut a shallow slot in the end of it, but before trying a screwdriver in it, I first heated the nutplate/broken bolt with my heat gun, then quickly used 'freeze it' on the bolt, followed by a shot of PB blaster. A couple of iterations of those steps and I was able to get a screwdriver in the slot I'd cut and gently work the broken bolt out! Finally!

I chased all the 12 threaded holes and bolted the hinges in place with the new hardware I'd acquired from McMaster Carr.
    IMG_2458.JPG IMG_2459.JPG

Also today with my wifey's assistance, I removed the tailgate and marked/drilled holes for the weatherstrip and for the gate mounted hinge covers.
    IMG_2465.JPG IMG_2464.JPG

and while the tailgate was off, I positioned and drilled the holes for retaining the body mounted tailgate hinger covers. Tomorrow I will install the TG weatherstrip and maybe try to hang the liftgate (if I can get my wife's assistance again)..
    IMG_2462.JPG IMG_2463.JPG

Can anyone suggest a filler material for the indentations in the inner tailgate skin? I didn't receive the factory boards when I bought this car... (rubber? cardboard? or ??)
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 09-21-2020 at 07:43 PM.

Another task I completed recently but didn't report on was connecting the stock '57 wagon fuel filler tube and vent to my custom (Rock Valley) fuel tank. Rock valley give me a 3/8" vent tube rather than the 1/2" I'd asked for, so I had to make an adapter from the 1/2" vent to the 3/8" vent tube I used. I bent up a short piece of 2" exhaust tubing to make the connection from stock filler port to the tank, aided by two short 2" diameter fuel hoses. photo attached.

IMG_2409.JPG

I don't know what the person who did the metal work on my Nomad (prior to my purchase) did, but NONE of the required holes in the inner tailgate skin were drilled. Today I laid out my tailgate linoleum and trim pieces and marked the screw locations for drilling, and drilled pilot holes for them. I began opening them up for the final screw size, but my bit died on me before completion!

IMG_2470.JPG

Yesterday we had a RAIN DAY and I lazed all day long. The three earlier days I spent replacing an old crappy fence on the other side of my neighbors home with a nice 6' shadow box with gate (and brick column). we'd relocated the old fence temporarily a couple of weeks ago and poured the foundation for the column, and waited for the brick mason to do his work. We also waited the past 14 days for my neighbors to 'quarantine' themselves due to an exposure they had to a daughter of theirs who tested positive for the virus. So I'm glad to finally finish this commitment I made to my neighbors re their fence.

IMG_2475.JPG

Speaking of Covid... I only found out this morning that one of my cousins, whom I spent a lot of time with in our youth and teen years, had been carried to Vanderbilt hospital in Nashville and put on a respirator with the COVID yesterday He was hemorhaging, which they got stopped, but his lungs were failing him even on a respirator. He passed this afternoon! May God be with him (Trent English - US Navy and Vietnam war veteran)...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 09-25-2020 at 06:10 PM.

Member #:1723
    Hi Bama,
    I am sorry for the passing of your cousin, prayers for God's comfort to you and your family.
    Good job on all your continued progress, both on the car and on your backyard! All looks first rate!
    Regards, Doug

Thanks Belair-o..

Do you fellas think there is too much difference between the 'red color' of the matador red linoleum and the Victory red paint ?? I'm planning to install the full red/black stock interior into this car... but it's not too late to change my mind if there is too much 'clashing' of reds...

I'm interested in your opinions... What say you?

Registered Member

Member #:4482
    First sorry for your loss. I don't thnk the reds clash. You are going to have some black in there too. It gives great definition to all the detail work on the car and if it were exact it may lose some of that. I like it. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Thanks Belair-o..

Do you fellas think there is too much difference between the 'red color' of the matador red linoleum and the Victory red paint ?? I'm planning to install the full red/black stock interior into this car... but it's not too late to change my mind if there is too much 'clashing' of reds...

I'm interested in your opinions... What say you?

Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast