Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Nomad project... :)

Banned

Member #:2775
    I was in the same boat, until this morning of where my fuse panel was going to go, and when I made this mounting plate. It was actually to mount my giant PCM using the under dash PSI harness, which is mounted to the backside of the plate. The ONLY place it was going to fit was right where the radio/glove compartment was. As it turns out, it will be the perfect place to mount my fuse panel. I'm using the Ron Francis Express panel and I think it will fit nicely, plus all I have to do is open the door to troubleshoot.IMG_8915.JPGIMG_8917.JPG

Member #:3217
    I LIKE the concept of installing the fuses/breaker panel behind the glovebox door, RD... but when running the Vintage Air Evap unit behind the dash... the space is 90% occupied..

I figured out today that the two holes near where AAW recommends mounting the new fuse panel are for the retaining screws holding the *original* fuse panel... since I didn't disassemble this car that was not initially obvious to me, but in hindsight, it should have been.. I can put screws in the holes, or fill them with bondo or caulk, since they won't be used in the new configuration.

I don't think AAW intended it, but I'm considering installing rivnuts in the panel so I can easily remove the fuse panel (at least pull it down out of that hole) for easier access and maintenance... assuming the cable lengths will allow it?

Member #:1723
    Hi Gary,
    I got the old Ecklers Classic Chevy mag, back when they did a lot of good how-to articles. They had two consecutive articles on wiring, using the AAW kit. The extra explanation, combined with pics, helped me to see the process more clearly. I think I can find the issues, and scan the articles if you would like.
    I bought the dedicated crimpers from AAW, and thought they worked good; others may have better suggestions. I used the Painless braided wire covers kit , to help 'hide' the bundles underhood. I used silicone tape from NAPA to help bundle wire runs, and to terminate the braid cover runs, plus used some little zip ties.
    Thanks for the complement on the color of my car! I like the darker colors to provide more contrast with all the stainless and sail panels.
    Regards, Doug

Thanks for the tips Doug; I plan to use those ideas also.

Don't spend a lot of time looking for the wiring articles; I have all those mags also, but would take half a day to find the right ones! If you do identify the month/yr mag, then that would help me..

Member #:1723
    Hi Gary,
    I checked on the issues, and you want Chevy Classics, Oct & Nov of 2008.
    You will likely remember the Nov issue, as it has a yellow 56 Nomad on the cover.
    Regards, Doug

thanks very much Doug! Gives me a lot better chance to find my articles now..

Member #:530
    Gary,
    Havent forgotten about the nomad tailgate hinges. I know i have them somewhere, but I'm unable to get to all the boxes of stuff I packed away at the moment due to the garage being worked on right now. I'll find them though and text you with some pics to verify the pin aren't loose. Give me another 2 weeks please...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

No problem Paul...

LOOKING FOR REAR WIRING HARNESS COVERS.... ?

I'm beginning to spend some time trying to figure out the AAW 'Classic Update' wiring kit I purchased several years ago for my '57 Nomad project... I'm wishing I'd found out a bit more detail about the various AAW (and other) wiring options before my purchase...

I thought I'd begin by installing the 'Rear Body Kit', my thought being that was 'simple' and straightforward, but then I realized before I could trim the rear wiring to length and wire it up, I had to locate/install the *large* Fuse Panel (and it's 9000 wires) which AAW recommends installing up high on the left side under the dash (behind the kick panel)... Obviously they chose that location due to the ease of viewing fuses and labels later? (J/K.. I could not imagine a more difficult location, so obviously they just located it where the original was (the original had 4 or 5 fuses!)... I probably will use less than HALF of the fuses the AAW kit has allocation for!

In doing all that I realized if I installed the rear body wiring, I'd have to install the wiring harness covers at the door openings (and behind) to protect the wiring. I searched for and finally located my wiring harness covers that go inside the door openings, but did NOT find the ones that go behind the door (at the sides of the rear seat area). The rear ones are pretty simple pieces (21-1/2" L, 2.5" W, with a 1/4" step 5/8" from the inner edge, so simple to make if one has a sheet metal brake and sheet metal. Since I don't have easy access to the proper tool, I'm wondering if anyone knows a source for purchase of these parts? Or if I'm going to have to use the edge of my workbench and a body hammer to make these parts? OR do any of you have used pieces you don't need??
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 11-25-2020 at 07:37 AM.

Banned

Member #:2775
    I'm in the same boat trying to figure out where to route all of the damn wires. I'm missing the wire cover for the drivers door too, and am trying to find an alternate route for the rear wiring, and not coming up with any great ideas. I really don't want to run them across the drivers door sill with some extra wires added laying elsewhere on the floor going into, and out of the wire tray, stepping on them all the time. Down the center would work if I can find a way to the back of the car.

Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast