Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Nomad project... :)

Member #:3217
    Excuse my use of the word 'kit'... I recall now that you bought the box and 'made' your own drop down, and yes the changes you've made will make changing out the battery a *little* easier, but unless you put the car on a lift, you'll still be lying on your back to change it out... and the lower the car, the harder it is!
    I was hot, sweating, and cursing when I changed out the battery in my friend's car (he used the speedway kit I think).

Did you install one of the 'ground lugs' both in the rear near your battery and in the front (is that it on top of the frame rail just behind where your pos cable exits the frame rail?

PS. I'm going to use a 'pretty' battery if I put it in the engine compartment, or maybe hide it in a pretty box? J/K..
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 08-20-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    yes the changes you've made will make changing out the battery a *little* easier, but unless you put the car on a lift, you'll still be lying on your back to change it out... and the lower the car, the harder it is!
    Yes that's the price I pay for "hiding" the battery. I will have to lay on the ground to remove it......but I don't plan on doing that very often. I also have to remove the front wheels and inner fender sections to get to my brake reservoir and coolant reservoir. I didn't want them showing either. But when I think of how many times I've messed with those things on my other cars I don't worry about it.

Did you install one of the 'ground lugs' both in the rear near your battery and in the front (is that it on top of the frame rail just behind where your pos cable exits the frame rail?
    Yes, one in the front near the starter and another in the rear near the battery.

PS. I'm going to use a 'pretty' battery if I put it in the engine compartment, or maybe hide it in a pretty box? J/K..
    No such thing as a "pretty battery" imo.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

The evening before I left for the Smokey Mountain Classic Chevy Roundup, I received the new AutoRad radiator I'd ordered a few weeks prior (for the '57 Nomad I'm working on). Since I was preparing to leave for the show I didn't have time to do anything but check for shipping damage. Yesterday I opened up the box and observed how greatly they packed the radiator - so well that it's not likely to receive shipping damage, even with UPS being the shipper!

Now I've got to decide whether to paint the radiator (or not). I'm too lazy and cheap to polish (or pay for) polishing the aluminum radiator, so I probably will paint all but the actual radiator grill. I painted the aluminum LS1 and 4L60 engine with urethane single stage (Argent Silver), so I'm considering painting the radiator support and radiator tanks/brackets with the same. The alternative is to paint it a semi-gloss black. My inner fenders and firewall are painted the same as the outside of the car (Victory Red)...

What do you fellas think? Argent Silver? to match the engine and drive train, or black?

DSC01638 (Copy).JPGAutoRad trial fit1 (Copy).JPG
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 05-22-2019 at 05:19 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    I vote black. It will tie the air ducts and motor together nicely from a color standpoint.

Scorp
    Last edited by scorpion1110; 05-22-2019 at 06:08 AM. Reason: because I simply cannot spell

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1110 View Post
    I vote black. It will tie the air ducts and motor together nicely from a color standpoint.

Scorp
    But you really can't see much of the airducts once the fenders are installed..... ?

Member #:115
    If the inner fenders were black, I'd say black would be fine. However, since the firewall, inner fenders, and everything else are red, I think black would look odd. I'd paint the support red and the radiator silver.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Member #:2775
    I like the natural finish, but I also like at least the front painted black so it disappears behind the grill. The bright shiny new grill is most visible, but a bright radiator/condenser really stands out too much in the background and detracts the front view of the exterior of the car.

Member #:2442
    My vote would be for the support red and the radiator silver, or just leave it natural, or polished.

Thanks for the input. I think ALL of you fellas are correct, so I'm now leaning towards RED for the support pieces, and silver on the radiator tanks/brackets (bare aluminum seems to collect dirt and oxidation unless painted, and when painted it cleans so much easier)...

Registered Member

Member #:2694
    Support Red, Radiator to match the color on the coil packs.....

Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast