Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Nomad project... :)

Registered Member

Member #:571
    There's a much easler way, it works well but requires cash. It's called a Raingear wiper system. Motor is behind the dash, and it uses links and levers rather than those pesky cables. Fits with Vintage Air too.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    In the early 70s my Dad one of those original buyers advised me collect oem electric motors as vacuum ones sucked. Never had any issues with them on 56. 55 however does fine with raingear.

Banned

Member #:2775
    I have had many cars , and still have that will never see rain if I can help it. Just 2 dead wipers on the windshield for show, and a little Rain-ex just in case. I have driven a couple cars with good wipers hundreds of miles at night in downpours with Rain-ex and never had to turn on the wipers. It actually works better many times as long as you are moving. Do aircraft use wipers flying in the rain?
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 11-19-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmvette View Post
    But then the wipers would not work.
    No, you replace that stock setup with something that goes under the dash like Raingear or Specialty Power Windows wiper kit.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3217
    The visible wiper motor in the engine compartment must bother some of you fellas much more than I can imagine. I have the raingear system in my '56, and it works *the same* as a functioning original wiper system. The raingear is another modification requiring more $$, something to seal up the hole in the firewall, and requires more of the limited space under the dash. I don't get it, but it will be interesting when these raingear systems begin malfunctioning requiring the VA unit to be removed? to work on it? and maybe the necessary parts aren't available to repair it?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    My thought is that if something in the Raingear goes wrong, chances are it will be in the motor or wiring, which won't require disturbing the VA system.

The only thing that would require disturbing the VA system would be if a link fastener failed or if a wiper transmission or link joint seized up or wore out. If a fastener failed it will probably be installer error, shame on me, and I'll double check it as it goes together the first time.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    The visible wiper motor in the engine compartment must bother some of you fellas much more than I can imagine.
    If it doesn't bother you, then use it. I just think it's kinda weird to dress up a nice engine, paint everything, clean up the wiring, and make the engine compartment look as good as yours is, then leave that ugly motor there right smack in the middle of the pretty picture. I had no choice with mine, but I wouldn't have used the original motor even if I could have.

I have the raingear system in my '56, and it works *the same* as a functioning original wiper system.
    Lots of things "work" the same as original parts, but we change them anyhow for some reasons that make sense. Isn't the original motor just a one speed deal? I like the Raingear setup with 2-speeds and delay. Not that I plan to drive the car in the rain much.

The raingear is another modification requiring more $$, something to seal up the hole in the firewall, and requires more of the limited space under the dash.
    I don't think a Raingear levers take up any more space than the original cables and pivots. The motor is the only thing that's kinda bulky, and it sits opposite the Vintage Air under the dash. My Vintage Air basically has nothing to do with the Raingear as far as I can tell. The Raingear levers sit well above and behind the VA unit. The only potential interference might be the defroster hoses, but that would a problem with the cables too. And Raingear isn't the only solution......we can't use Raingear on the HEMI55 so Steve is going to use the SPW wiper kit. I think that motor can be installed just about anywhere.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speci...SABEgJeBPD_BwE

I don't get it, but it will be interesting when these raingear systems begin malfunctioning requiring the VA unit to be removed? to work on it? and maybe the necessary parts aren't available to repair it?
    I see no reason to have to disturb the VA if I need to work on the Raingear.....at least not in my '56. And I've not heard of any major issues with Raingear malfunctioning in decades of their being on the market.

As for going without wipers, some guys might get away with that. But I'm pretty sure wipers are a safety requirement in most states. RainX works pretty good but I wouldn't count on it 100% of the time, especially if you drive your car a lot.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    It does not matter what Cnut thinks his POS don't run.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It does not matter what Cnut thinks his POS don't run.
    Mine doesn't either... yet.. Relax.. Different strokes for different folks. What would we have to talk about if all our cars were the same?

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Just one comment on the Raingear system-

The factory speaker bracket will interfere with the Raingear system on the passenger side- at least it will if you use the CustomAutosound speaker plate. I used a factory speaker bracket, with the speaker plate and rubber boot. Fit fine and I knew it was tight but thought was clearanced. When I ran my test on the wipers as part of the dash re-wire I could see and hear the transmission arm hitting the speaker. I pulled the speaker to see if I could buy some space- but they are pretty slim to begin with. This is a noted problem when running the Raingear system.

I plan on coming back to the speaker issue later, to try and find some clearance. Id estimate the clearance issue is 3/4 to 1 inch.

Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast