Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Nomad project... :)

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It does not matter what Cnut thinks his POS don't run.
    GFY markm. You've never really "built" a car in your life. In fact, I've never seen anything you've ever built or fabbed yourself.

My car is worth more unfinished than all of your junk put together.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1110 View Post
    Just one comment on the Raingear system-
    The factory speaker bracket will interfere with the Raingear system on the passenger side- at least it will if you use the CustomAutosound speaker plate. I used a factory speaker bracket, with the speaker plate and rubber boot. Fit fine and I knew it was tight but thought was clearanced. When I ran my test on the wipers as part of the dash re-wire I could see and hear the transmission arm hitting the speaker. I pulled the speaker to see if I could buy some space- but they are pretty slim to begin with. This is a noted problem when running the Raingear system. I plan on coming back to the speaker issue later, to try and find some clearance. Id estimate the clearance issue is 3/4 to 1 inch.
    That may be true on a 55-56, but Bama has a 57 and the speaker is in the center of the dash. Seems like an easy fix on a 55-56 too, if you ditch the factory speaker and amp like most guys do and put speakers elsewhere. Even if you wanted a speaker there I would think you could make it work fairly easily but it wouldn't make for a very good "stereo" system.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3217
    I really appreciate the 'constructive construction comments' even if I don't agree with the suggested approach - they always make me *think* a little more than I would otherwise, but as 'others' have posted in the past... personal attacks aren't really appreciated in ANY thread, especially someone's project thread... and this one is/was mine..

Maybe for the two or three individuals who 'can't seem to get along or ignore one another' we need a 'GRIPE/BITCH' thread, that they can use anytime they want to beat on or critiicze another member?? (The rest off us can ignore it then if we choose)..

Member #:1723
    I had clearance issues on my 57 between the speaker and the Raingear arm. I ended up searching for a speaker that was less deep, and still had to do a bit of grinding on the arm. The arm is stout, and an angle iron configuration, so felt fine removing the bit that I had to.
    Regards, Doug

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    That may be true on a 55-56, but Bama has a 57 and the speaker is in the center of the dash. Seems like an easy fix on a 55-56 too, if you ditch the factory speaker and amp like most guys do and put speakers elsewhere. Even if you wanted a speaker there I would think you could make it work fairly easily but it wouldn't make for a very good "stereo" system.
    Youre right CN-

I am driving speakers from the tailgate and doors. Since I am running a power amp I have outputs for the gate speakers and doors, and the head unit is a vintage Alpine 7283 (if I recall) with additional powered outputs, so I was just going to put a speaker there because I could.

I will have to make something at some point, but its good to know in the 55-56 that the raingear setup causes interference issues at the factory speaker grill if you are doing the old school thing.

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I really appreciate the 'constructive construction comments' even if I don't agree with the suggested approach - they always make me *think* a little more than I would otherwise, but as 'others' have posted in the past... personal attacks aren't really appreciated in ANY thread, especially someone's project thread... and this one is/was mine..

Maybe for the two or three individuals who 'can't seem to get along or ignore one another' we need a 'GRIPE/BITCH' thread, that they can use anytime they want to beat on or critiicze another member?? (The rest off us can ignore it then if we choose)..
    Bama youre right.

When I read the posts I thought it was joking.

Also sorry to hijack your thread on the Raingear info.

Scorp, I don't have a problem with any informative post... No worry!~

My only criticism was the 'personal animosity' shown by a couple of individuals when they address one another... I don't think that stuff belongs on our forum.

Registered Member

Member #:4256
    Hmmm, Nothing changes from site to site. Has me wondering if I should post or not.

firewall side.jpgflanged barrell nuts and flanged button head screws (Copy).JPGunder dash .JPGA few things I've done to my '57 Nomad project recently... since I don't update often...

After trying to install a 'factory appearing' firewall insulation pad using original type plastic/rubber plugs (both orig repro and sixties orig), I gave up and installed it using stainless button head screws thru the firewall and flanged barrel nuts on the inside. The repro pad (bought thru Ecklers) was too long so it had to be 'sectioned' to work.

I'm having trouble with 'adding photos' today for some reason.....? I had intended to show a few more photos after the firewall insulation pad install, test fitting my Vintage Air Evaporator under/behind the dash, and installation of the brake pedal assembly and master cylinder...

I've also recently installed 'upgraded' tailgate cable rollers, new cables, new retainers, and the cover plates and installed the tailgate. (with a story behind each of these)..
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 01-22-2020 at 08:48 AM.

Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast