Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WagonCrazy
    Registered Member
    • Mar 2012

IMHO these cars are to continually keep futzing with forever to keep us entertained.
    Oh hell yes! I agree. Now let's get to work on them boys.

CNut's way ahead of us all on his build...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Comment

• markm
      Registered Member
      • May 2012

IMHO these cars are to continually keep futzing with forever to keep us entertained.
      Oh hell yes! I agree. Now let's get to work on them boys.

CNut's way ahead of us all on his build...

Agree with all but Cnut is not ahead of those of us with finished rides, poor choice of words they are never done. since drivable and tagged I have went from TH350 to 700R4, Q[jet to 3x2, 1.94 to 2.02 Camel Humps and 12 bolt to 9.3 Olds rear on 56 and single 4 to 2x4 tunnel ram, super T-10 to TKO-600 on 55

Comment

• scorpion1110
        Registered Member
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Gmvette
        Cnut will be changing things in the future as he is an engineer and likes new innovations. As time transpires the technology will become obsolete and changes to upgrade become necessary just because.

Wait until he installs the flux capacitor.

Comment

• Bitchin'57
          Registered Member
          • Aug 2015

Did Chevynut pass away? Or did he take his football and go home after all of the smartass remarks on his build thread?
          Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Comment

• BamaNomad
            Registered Member
            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Bitchin'57
            Did Chevynut pass away? Or did he take his football and go home after all of the smartass remarks on his build thread?
            CN is just assimilating RD's latest compliment... it'll take him a few days to assess...

RD wrote: (in part)...
            Your wiring does look great though cnut.

Comment

• FIDEL
              Registered Member
              • Jul 2019

Decent, need to accomplish something like this with mine.

Comment

• Bitchin'57
                Registered Member
                • Aug 2015

Man, this build thread has come to a screeching halt......for a while now. Maybe it's time to move it to the Sitting and Rotting forum. Just sayin'.
                Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Comment

• 567chevys
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Bitchin'57
                  Man, this build thread has come to a screeching halt......for a while now. Maybe it's time to move it to the Sitting and Rotting forum. Just sayin'.
                  Dave ,

I have one question ? Why Did you asked for me to Delete your account ? But you come back and just knock the threads ? on the other site I notice some time back you Posted really good Stuff but Nothing here .
                  I do this all out my Pocket and its not cheap , I wanted it to be a place where all could help each other. I know some are Hard headed . Even Otis has come on here and tore Lot of people on this site including me but I don't hold any thing on him in fact he was on here 3-4 weeks ago and he was Nice .
                  Its Just sad that we all cant get along and help each other !!

Regards
                  Sid
                  sigpic
                  1955 2 DR Post
                  1937 Chevy Coupe
                  2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
                  2019 Corvette Z06
                  1955 Chevy Nomad
                  1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Comment

• chevynut
                    Registered Member
                    • Nov 2011

Sid do me a favor and clean up these past few posts by deleting them. I don't need this kind of garbage on my build thread. Bitchin' Dave likes to come here to get entertained and doesn't like it when others don't post updates, but he provides zero content here. I asked him to post his project updates here months ago but he refused. I thought he was long gone and I couldn't care less. He must have gotten bored on the other site...I just looked and noticed he's not getting much done on his project the past two months either. LOL.

I've been really busy with stuff lately but I've been working on the Nomad when I can. Just because I don't post updates doesn't mean nothing is getting done. We've built 3 C4 projects over the past few weeks, and I'm trying to finish up the 59 Corvette AME frame that we're putting a narrowed Dana 44 into. I've also been working with a laser part supplier to get parts for seat mounts andC4 conversion frames. I've been selling seat mounts like crazy and they keep me busy in spurts building them.

I just completed an injector replacement on my LB7 Duramax and if anyone has tried that you have my sympathy....it's a horrible job. Also changed the water pump and belt, rebuilt the fuel filter pump unit, polished the headlights, rotated the tires, and replaced the right front hub. That's kept me pretty busy for several days after coming back from a trip to the Black Hills in Wyoming looking at some land, spending some time in Nebraska looking for a deer hunting place, and a long weekend boating and fishing in Wyoming. We also went to Massachusetts for a week to spend time with my daughter and her family, and went to northern WA for a week. It's been a busy summer and I haven't been sitting around much.

I just ordered new tailgate bars from Trim Parts because I don't like the looks of the NOS ones I have. The quality just isn't there. The center bar and handle are nice but they're from Trim Parts. Also ordered a bunch of stainless parts from Madmooks for the tailgate and some door strikers that I'm waiting on. I got a little burned out after all the wiring I did, so I backed off a little and decided to assemble some other parts like the tailgate and doors.

Elk hunting is starting in a couple weeks and then deer hunting after that. It will impede progress some like it does every year. I really don't care.....progress is progress.
                    Last edited by chevynut; 08-17-2019, 02:03 PM.
                    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
                    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
                    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
                    1962 327/340HP Corvette
                    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
                    2001 Porsche Boxster S
                    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
                    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Comment

• WagonCrazy
                      Registered Member
                      • Mar 2012

Just because I don't post updates doesn't mean nothing is getting done.
                      Amen brutha.

Only have 24/7/365 to get all of life's things done. At our age, that includes slowing down at times to travel, spend time with family, and enjoy life "outside" of our old car habits.

Comment

• chevynut
                        Registered Member
                        • Nov 2011

So a while ago I bought a 55-56 Cowl to Hood seal from Soffseal because I heard they made good stuff. Also bought a bunch of other weatherstrip from them but haven't tried it yet.

I have the original cowl seal for my Nomad and the Soffseal part doesn't look much like it. In fact, I don't think my hood would seal right with the Soffseal part because it looks too thick. So I ordered a Danchuk cowl seal to see if it was different. Yes, it's different than the Soffseal part, but it's also different than the stock part. How fricking hard is it to make a simple seal that's a duplicate of the original? The Danchuk part is closer, but still not the same.

On the left is the Soffseal part, the center is the original GM part, and on the right is the Danchuk part. I keep running into crap like this and end up buying 2 or 3 of everything.

20190817_004.JPG

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
                        1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
                        2001 Porsche Boxster S

Comment

• BamaNomad
                          Registered Member
                          • Nov 2016

That's typical with essentially EVERY after market 'so-called' reproduction part. If the 'appearance is off', then you can be assured the 'function' will be even farther off from the original...

Comment

• WagonCrazy
                            Registered Member
                            • Mar 2012

just put the softseal part in there and call it a day. it's a cowl seal after all...not really a water tight compartment inside the engine compartment...

Comment

• LEE T
                              Registered Member
                              • Aug 2013

It looks to me like the Softseal would be perfect if you could find a way to cut it down to the proper height. Shouldn't have to do such things, but it is what it is.

Comment

• chevynut
                                Registered Member
                                • Nov 2011

Time is flying by but I have tried to keep going on the Nomad. I decided to wait on the hood seal until the hood is on, then I'll use a ball of clay to see how much room I have for the seal and which fits best. I don't want it to be too thick and hold the hood up.

I went to Colorado Goodguys last weekend and delivered an NOS Nomad script to Jose at Ogden Chrome for chrome plating. I can't believe the crazy cost to do it but I said WTH. You buy a repop part like this for $12, NOS for around $30-40, and it costs $200 to chrome it. Problem is it's the only gold piece left on my car and I want it chrome.

I got the second set of Trim Parts tailgate bars and sorted through both sets to pick the best ones. They're pretty much all identical with the same small defects, but it it what it is and they look better than NOS. Turns out another retainer from the first set fell off, so I'm glad I didn't have them replace just one. They really need to get their riveting process fixed. I now need to find 4 original tailgate bar clips so I can final assemble the bars to the tailgate. I found all but 4 of my originals and the aftermarket ones I bought suck. I think I found a few locally, and another guy told me he has some he'd sell if that doesn't work out. I'm also waiting on Madmooks to send me the new stainless tailgate latches, rods, and strikers.

I've been working on polishing stainless. Yesterday I took a seminar from Rodney Preston at Stainless Trimworks and I sure learned a lot. I took over one of my interior door stainless pieces that had dents and I removed them and polished the piece to a mirror finish. He also showed me how to straighten and remove dents from fender and door trim, which is a lot more difficult if you do it right. Rodney's cars have won many best trim awards and he does this full-time. His father started the business and Rodney worked with him for years until his father passed, now he does it alone. I have removed dents and polished a lot of stainless before, but this takes it to a whole different level. I left two long BelAir quarter stainless pieces for Rodney to do for me, since they need to be really nice. One was supposedly NOS and the other has a few dents. I'll have him do some more pieces that I don't want to tackle but I'll do most of them myself.

Also finished the 59 Corvette chassis for Larry. We modified an AME chassis with a C6 front and added a 4" narrowed early C4 Dana 44. He is happy as a pig in poop and took it home a couple days ago.

Chad from Laramie, WY brought me a transmission crossmember to modify for his 56 Hardtop that we put a C4 clip on a couple years ago. The crossmember interfered with his exhaust so I made a new tranny bracket that sat lower on the tube, raising the tube in the frame to clear the exhaust. He should have the car driving before long.

There's been a lot to do and I still have to replace the tranny tunnel in the HEMI55 that another shop cut out. I don't know why I get myself into these things.
                                Last edited by chevynut; 09-14-2019, 08:50 AM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
                                1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
                                2001 Porsche Boxster S

Comment

Working...