Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 35 of 61 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad final assembly

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Sorry, I gave up an NOS script a few weeks ago. To reshape those holes, its called flow forming. A hand held hammer works just fine, just takes longer. You can search---tinmantech flow forming sheet metal
    https://youtu.be/9K6c3_DMXjQ

https://youtu.be/9K6c3_DMXjQ

Member #:516
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I've been gone hunting lately and working some on the HEMI55 floor, but I have been doing a few things on the Nomad. I finally installed the last tailgate bar on the tailgate and quit worrying about the quality . I figure if I decided some day to change them I could, but I'm not doing it now. Still no Nomad script.

How'd the hunting go?

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by LEE T View Post
    Sorry, I gave up an NOS script a few weeks ago.
    Huh? I was referring to the Nomad script I sent to Ogden Chrome for chrome plating. It was an old NOS script that the gold was faded/tarnished on. I've had it for 3-4 decades now. LOL

To reshape those holes, its called flow forming. A hand held hammer works just fine, just takes longer.

Yeah, I thought about hammer forming or something like that and I could do it that way if I wanted the vents recessed in the valence panel. To raise them I could do the same but thought I'd just glue the pieces I made to the panel after beveling the edges. Once they're covered with leather you won't be able to tell how it was done anyhow.

I watched that video and it looks like a great way to form metal.....I'll definitely keep it in mind. Thanks.
    Last edited by chevynut; 11-13-2019 at 07:30 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Hey guys, I will be installing scripts and was wondering the best way to install them so they're removable without breaking them. Most of them came with one-way push-nuts and I don't want to use them. I also don't want to use the original "barrel" type retainers because I think they're junk. I have used thread-cutting nuts with some success in the past but if they're not the right size the pins can break off....it happened to me. I have some thread-cutting speed nuts that have rubber seals on them and I haven't been able to find more of them anywhere, and in different sizes. I need to install the "BelAir" script on the speaker grill (came with one-way speed nuts), the "BelAir" script and crests on the quarters, and the Nomad script on the tailgate. How about just pushing on a rubber grommet from the backside? Rubber tubing? Heatshrink? RTV? Any tricks you guys have used?
    Last edited by chevynut; 11-14-2019 at 10:01 AM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:2017
    When we did the door emblem on the sub grill, we used a die to thread the pin and I believe used a nylon insert lock nut. I'll pull it out of the box this weekend to check for sure...

Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    I’m assuming you want to remove them for cleaning and polishing. Also with out access to the back side?

So any type of clip is NG.

A friction fit with the pins in the holes will wear at the paint in them in short order. Again NG.

If small high strength rare earth magnets could be affixed in the recesses of the emblems. Fine thin script would not work but the bigger bow tie type could.

just thinking with my finger on the key board.

[QUOTE=Gmvette;52750]I’m assuming you want to remove them for cleaning and polishing. Also with out access to the back side? [QUOTE]

It's so I CAN remove them if I ever needed or wanted to. Pretty much everything is accessible. The hardest one would be the Nomad script on the tailgate since I'd have to get inside the tailgate, but it could be done without too much effort. I just don't want to have to buy new scripts if I ever wanted to remove them for anything. I think maybe these self-threading nuts might be the way to go.

I measured the studs on the BelAir quarter scripts and they're .093-.100 or about 3/32".....same with the crests. The repop Nomad script I have has 1/8" studs, the same as the studs on my air intake "V". The under-taillight Vs have studs that are about .170". The speaker grille BelAir script studs are smaller, probably 1/16" or so but I didn't measure them. Weird sizes.

I have a bunch of 1/8" thread cutting nuts but there's too big for the scripts and crests and will work on the nomad script and air intae V. I'm nervous about breaking a stud off of the Nomad script after paying $200 to plate it and it will probably be larger than it was so I'm looking for something else. I can't find any smaller thread cutting nuts.
    Last edited by chevynut; 11-15-2019 at 02:30 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:2017
    The studs on this crest were threaded to 4-40 UNC and nylon lock nuts used to help curtail the effects of vibration. I believe these were about 1/8 diameter studs.

EFD664C2-9B5E-472A-8452-D236834859B8.jpeg
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Thanks Robert, I think I have the same Danchuk chrome crests as you used. I measured the studs at about 3/32" or somewhere in the .095" range +/- depending on the stud. A 4-40 screw has a .112" major diameter so it seems like it would be a bit large although it looks like it worked well for you. A 3-48 screw is 0.099" and might fit better but is probably not a readily available size and might be too tight on some studs. A 6-32 screw is .138" which is also a little large for the .125" studs on the Nomad script but will probably still work on those. Better to be too large than too small. I found out the dash BelAir script has ~.060" studs.

One more thing....how do guys block off the speaker grille so you can't see the stuff behind it? Or is that not a problem when everything is put together?
    Last edited by chevynut; 11-16-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:3018
    I bet you would barely even notice the speaker behind a grille similar to the one posted by MP&C... If it were a big issue you could try using some loudspeaker foam, but I would just make sure that your grill stands off the subwoofer far enough so it isn't constantly beating the speaker up... I still use a few older Meyer loudspeaker rigs at work that have this style foam on the grills and they work just fine to hide the speakers from the audience. With the low frequencies air just needs to pass through, I wouldn't be worried about any quality/transmission loss, just wear and tear if they're rubbing against each other.

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-...black--260-519

Page 35 of 61 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast