Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 25 of 61 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad final assembly

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    RD: CN just has no appreciation for older cars/technology. SOme of us do (you and I for sure); I have 2 cars with Muncie 4-speeds (M20 in both); a '69 Z28/RS and '69 350/350 Corvette convertible. Both are all original and I like driving them, but driving them or any other manual shift car would get OLD (as me) if I had to drive one every day, especially in work traiffic (but I'm retired now, and I can what/when/where/how I want to!).. You aren't going to convince CN of anything, so you should quit trying..

I have two 1990 ZR1 corvettes with LT5/ZF 6-speeds and they too would get old in traffic every day, and CN probably doesn't appreciate them either...
    I've had Muncies in the past (my '55 Chevy, and '69 Z/28) and they're rather poor shifting imo (compared to a Tremec) and without OD they get old on the highway. Yes I like new technology since it's better, quieter, more efficient, better performing, etc. The old stuff is just for nostalgia and I don't get that nostalgic.

If I had a restored original muscle car, I would drive it with that old stuff. I actually was planning to use a ZF6 in my Nomad, since I had one with the clutch and everything else that I bought with one of my first C4 suspensions, but I sold it and bought my T56 new after reading about all the issues with them, the cost of parts, and the difficulty of putting one behind a BBC. The T56 was a simpler solution and more mainstream.

This thread is about my Nomad final assembly and the things I'm doing to it. It has nothing to do with the BS RD keeps wanting to interject into the thread like T3 lights and Muncie transmissions and God knows what else every time he posts something here. My Nomad will never have a Muncie, stock lighting, a stock suspension, or stock anything else except stock sheetmetal and stainless/emblems. It's a resto-mod. If RD wants a Muncie he should use one and talk about it in another thread about HIS car.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    Yes the smoother shifting and OD are worth the Tremec change over from a Muncie. The retro thing is for pure nostalgic muscle cars. But they typically don’t get driven on a regular basis.

I truly like the Tremec with the forward shifter position in my 57 Nomad. So smooth, clean fit and the bench seat is usable all the way forward.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #:115
    GMvette, that must be a TKO 5-speed. A T56 has the backup light switch on the passenger side. Doesn't the TKO have a RLO? I thought all newer transmissions had them. If it has one that I can't see, how did you wire it up?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I don't get these comments about "good shifting with a Tremec" and "bad shifting with a Muncie".

The Tremec 5 speeds are notorious for a bad 2-3 shift. I understand Craig Liberty has a fix for that but it's hundreds more on top of a fairly expensive transmission to start with.

The Tremec 6 speeds (designed by Borg Warner originally) have a synchronizer very similar to a Muncie. Two differences, the synchro has a paper lining like an auto trans clutch disc, and they have a plastic "pad" on the shift fork. The "pad" needs to upgraded to a metal one for HD use. I think a T56 feels a lot like a Muncie.

So what is your perception of how a Muncie is inferior?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    GMvette, that must be a TKO 5-speed. A T56 has the backup light switch on the passenger side. Doesn't the TKO have a RLO? I thought all newer transmissions had them. If it has one that I can't see, how did you wire it up?
    First photo shows reverse switch with my old connector NOT plugged in beause of different receptacle. I think the tranny suppliers now offer a pig tail to splice in. I’m not a fan of splice in. Finding a plug to fit was difficult. Ended up modify the closest I could find to fit over the pins size.

Yes this is a TKO 600 5 speed with a 0.64 OD.
    Back up light switch is on left side,
    Last edited by Gmvette; 05-30-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I don't get these comments about "good shifting with a Tremec" and "bad shifting with a Muncie".

The Tremec 5 speeds are notorious for a bad 2-3 shift. I understand Craig Liberty has a fix for that but it's hundreds more on top of a fairly expensive transmission to start with.

The Tremec 6 speeds (designed by Borg Warner originally) have a synchronizer very similar to a Muncie. Two differences, the synchro has a paper lining like an auto trans clutch disc, and they have a plastic "pad" on the shift fork. The "pad" needs to upgraded to a metal one for HD use. I think a T56 feels a lot like a Muncie.

So what is your perception of how a Muncie is inferior?

I didn’t have shifting problems with the Hurst/Muncie M20. But I can say the Tremec is smoother. I haven’t noticed any issues with the 2-3 shift. I have the same tremec 600 TKO in my 65 Corvette And my 57 Nomad. The only difference is the way the shifters are set up. The vette has a whole different position and style. The Nomad has the forward position shifter. In all honesty one is as smooth as the other. Realize the vette has 1/3 the throw on the Nomad due to shifter length. Also understand both have custom made solid 316 stainless shifter levers.
    The vette is round to look as the original 3 speed and is not the two bolt hook up. And the Nomad is 3/8” wide rectangle bar stock w/2 bolt mount to pivot.

Registered Member

All your comments are about shifters except to say that you don't have a 2-3 shift problem with your 5 speed. Do you ever drive it hard?

You can do a lot with shifters with any transmission. That doesn't count. Just like you can paint a car any color.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    All your comments are about shifters except to say that you don't have a 2-3 shift problem with your 5 speed. Do you ever drive it hard?

You can do a lot with shifters with any transmission. That doesn't count. Just like you can paint a car any color.

By 2-3 shift problem I think you referring to while winding it out does it “hang up”. I take the cars to about 5500 to 5800 as after that they are out of the torque curve. But if you are implying drag racing it at the track then no. Sure some street racing but not like drags at the track.

You gotta understand neither of my cars will stand up to a C7 vette, it would be stupid to try. I enjoy my cars but I don’t beat the shit out of them or destroy my tires doing burn outs. So what is “Drive it hard”?

I beg to differ a one piece shift is stiffer than a two piece bolt together plus has the security of never getting loose. A two piece bolted and welded is just as good. So to me that does matter.
    Last edited by Gmvette; 05-30-2019 at 03:07 PM.

Registered Member

I beg to differ a one piece shift is stiffer than a two piece bolt together plus has the security of never getting loose. A two piece bolted and welded is just as good. So to me that does matter.
    What are these "pieces" you speak of? Is this some part of the shifter? Are you talking about a bolt on stick? Are you aware that the 55-57 specific Hurst shifter stick for a Muncie is not a bolt on? Not that it matters, all other Hurst shifters for a Muncie do have a bolt on stick.

I also take it from your answer that you must granny shift when revving to 5500-5800 rpm before shifting.

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    If that's the case the lockout is always working, IE the solenoid isn't getting power. They do it with the VSS and I believe the clutch switch on the C5. The lockout solenoid has to be POWERED to allow easy shifting into Reverse. If it's not powered, it's always hard to shift it into Reverse.The solenoid is supposed to power up when the ignition is on and the car isn't moving. Once it hits 3 MPH the ECM disables the solenoid, causing the reverse gate to be locked out. You can still shift into reverse, but it should be hard to do.

The lockout keeps you from shifting into Reverse, not 5th. If you can't shift into reverse easily, the lockout is working.

My 6-speed in my Porsche has reverse left and forward, and I don't know why the Tremecs don't. Muncies are junk by today's standards, but so are T3 lights and other 50-60 year old crap.
    When I read this I had to laugh. I just bought that little MGBGT and couldnt get it into reverse. British car friend came over and literally slammed it into reverse, hard to the left and down. The lockout springs on that transmission are super stiff.

At least that works.

Page 25 of 61 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast