Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 26 of 61 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad final assembly

Member #:3217
    IMO, a big difference in the shifting characteristics of a Tremec vs a Muncie is the lubricant used. Put Automatic Transmission Fluid in your Muncie and it will shift easier too...

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I don't get these comments about "good shifting with a Tremec" and "bad shifting with a Muncie".

The Tremec 5 speeds are notorious for a bad 2-3 shift. I understand Craig Liberty has a fix for that but it's hundreds more on top of a fairly expensive transmission to start with.

The Tremec 6 speeds (designed by Borg Warner originally) have a synchronizer very similar to a Muncie. Two differences, the synchro has a paper lining like an auto trans clutch disc, and they have a plastic "pad" on the shift fork. The "pad" needs to upgraded to a metal one for HD use. I think a T56 feels a lot like a Muncie.

So what is your perception of how a Muncie is inferior?
    I have had both Munchies and ST-10 in my Camaros and TKO 600 in 55 and I agree with Rick this time.

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    What are these "pieces" you speak of? Is this some part of the shifter? Are you talking about a bolt on stick? Are you aware that the 55-57 specific Hurst shifter stick for a Muncie is not a bolt on? Not that it matters, all other Hurst shifters for a Muncie do have a bolt on stick.

I also take it from your answer that you must granny shift when revving to 5500-5800 rpm before shifting.
    This is the Hurst I had on the M20 when the Nomad had a Muncie. It’s a single weld shifter no bolts holding it to the pivot.

Why would you say granny shift, you have no indicator of that. It makes no sense to rev up and not “hit” the next gear unless you already lost.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    All-

I think we should take the Tremec versus Muncie and Hurst Shifter discussion to its own thread. This is CN's build thread and we should focus on what he is doing.

I love the debate but I dont think it belongs here.

OK CN give us some wiring pics to make us dizzy.

Scorp

Member #:115
    Today I decided to mess with my glove box some more. I installed the top portion using the two screws, and slid the lower portion in place. It actually wasn't that far off from working, but took some modifications.

First thing I did was drill out the holes in the top portion and add some metal nuts

20190602_019.JPG

Then I drilled holes in the bottom portion to match the existing holes in the top piece, and added metal nuts there too.

20190602_020.JPG

Then I installed the assembled box with the top two screws, and it became obvious that I needed to do some clearancing of the bottom to make it all fit. You can see the notches at the ends of the bottom piece....this is the trick to making it fit. If you don't do that, the bottom piece will ride up on the sheetmetal and it won't sit down on the hinge.

20190602_018.JPG
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Been busy with other stuff for a couple of days but today I wired up the hood release and RLO relays. I looked at all the wiring possibilities that I could think of and this is how I ended up wiring them:

20190604_001.JPG

I really wanted to run the RLO on switched power but my hood release needs to be on constant power and I didn't want another relay. So both run on constant power. Since the brake lights work with the key off, the RLO will activate too.

So when I hit the speed at which I programmed my door locks to lock, the hood release and RLO will be deactivated by the top relay, as long as I'm going over that speed. Once I drop below that speed the RLO only activates when I push on the brake pedal. The side benefit of this is that I think the lower relay coil will act as a resistor that is needed to pull the cruise control signal low when the brakes are not applied. If you use LED taillights you need to do that or the cruise will always think the brake is on.

I received my footwell lights so I'll get them mounted to the console, and figure out where to mount the main power/amp fuse box to get it out of the way of the stereo. I also got the lighted switches today and I'm really impressed with them...I think they're going to be pretty cool.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Pretty much finished up all the wiring work under my dash and in the console. Just a few little odds and ends to tie up after the console is re-installed after upholstery. I also have to terminate the wires to the switches but will do that after I build the console top. Still going to do a little work bundling wires up under the rear seat, but not much. This was a huge job and I tried to stay on it so I didn't forget where I was. I ended up making 4 of my rear fuses IGN power instead of constant so I had more spare switched fuses. I hope I didn't make any mistakes.

20190607_005.JPG

20190607_007.JPG

20190607_008.JPG

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    CN,

Is that an EZ wire harness?

It looks exceptional. Make sure theres a schematic so you can trouble shoot.

Scorp

Member #:530
    That was a CHORE for sure. But good job and nice work there.

Make sure theres a schematic so you can trouble shoot.
    Ummm, ya think? Maybe a book of schematics for troubleshooting!
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1110 View Post
    CN,Is that an EZ wire harness? It looks exceptional. Make sure theres a schematic so you can trouble shoot.

Scorp
    No Scorp, I wired it from scratch. That bundle of wires coming down from the dash into the left side of the console has 80 wires, and there's about 30 on the other side, mostly the Holley engine harness that I modified. There's no manufactured harness out there that would have worked on this car...not even close.

Here's a list of the power items/accessories I have installed.

Twin Derale fans with Dakota Digital PAC-2750 fan controller
    Autoloc electric hood release solenoid (custom mount)
    Electric power brakes
    Power windows with one-touch controllers
    Power vent windows
    Holley C950 ECM with Wideband O2
    Power antenna
    Dakota Digital VHX gauges and clock
    Dakota Digital PAC-3500 door lock controller with Electric-Life door locks
    Dakota Digital PAC-1300 automatic headlight/dome/RAP controller
    12-way 2000 Cadillac Eldorado power seats
    Raingear wipers with delay switch
    Kenwood DDX-471HD 2-DIN touchscreen stereo
    Polk Audio speakers
    Rockford Fosgate amp
    Dakota Digital cruise control
    Boyo backup camera
    Danchuk 56 backup light kit
    DMH 3 1/2" electric cutouts with one-touch controller
    Walbro 255LPH fuel pump
    Centex Auto Dimming mirror with temp and compass
    Vintage Air Gen IV Sure Fit A/C
    Panther keyless entry/Alarm system
    Hella dual note horns
    Multiple LED courtesy lights, console box light
    Console fan (cooling for amp and ECM)

Also plan to add all LED exterior lights and headlights. I have a whole binder full of schematics with the wire sizes and colors and a drawing of the fuse panel with all the fuses marked. Relay sockets are labeled and also shown on the schematics. Hope I don't need them.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 26 of 61 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast