Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 29 of 61 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad final assembly

Member #:115
    So a while ago I bought a 55-56 Cowl to Hood seal from Soffseal because I heard they made good stuff. Also bought a bunch of other weatherstrip from them but haven't tried it yet.

I have the original cowl seal for my Nomad and the Soffseal part doesn't look much like it. In fact, I don't think my hood would seal right with the Soffseal part because it looks too thick. So I ordered a Danchuk cowl seal to see if it was different. Yes, it's different than the Soffseal part, but it's also different than the stock part. How fricking hard is it to make a simple seal that's a duplicate of the original? The Danchuk part is closer, but still not the same.

On the left is the Soffseal part, the center is the original GM part, and on the right is the Danchuk part. I keep running into crap like this and end up buying 2 or 3 of everything.

20190817_004.JPG
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3217
    That's typical with essentially EVERY after market 'so-called' reproduction part. If the 'appearance is off', then you can be assured the 'function' will be even farther off from the original...

Member #:530
    just put the softseal part in there and call it a day. it's a cowl seal after all...not really a water tight compartment inside the engine compartment...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    It looks to me like the Softseal would be perfect if you could find a way to cut it down to the proper height. Shouldn't have to do such things, but it is what it is.

Time is flying by but I have tried to keep going on the Nomad. I decided to wait on the hood seal until the hood is on, then I'll use a ball of clay to see how much room I have for the seal and which fits best. I don't want it to be too thick and hold the hood up.

I went to Colorado Goodguys last weekend and delivered an NOS Nomad script to Jose at Ogden Chrome for chrome plating. I can't believe the crazy cost to do it but I said WTH. You buy a repop part like this for $12, NOS for around $30-40, and it costs $200 to chrome it. Problem is it's the only gold piece left on my car and I want it chrome.

I got the second set of Trim Parts tailgate bars and sorted through both sets to pick the best ones. They're pretty much all identical with the same small defects, but it it what it is and they look better than NOS. Turns out another retainer from the first set fell off, so I'm glad I didn't have them replace just one. They really need to get their riveting process fixed. I now need to find 4 original tailgate bar clips so I can final assemble the bars to the tailgate. I found all but 4 of my originals and the aftermarket ones I bought suck. I think I found a few locally, and another guy told me he has some he'd sell if that doesn't work out. I'm also waiting on Madmooks to send me the new stainless tailgate latches, rods, and strikers.

I've been working on polishing stainless. Yesterday I took a seminar from Rodney Preston at Stainless Trimworks and I sure learned a lot. I took over one of my interior door stainless pieces that had dents and I removed them and polished the piece to a mirror finish. He also showed me how to straighten and remove dents from fender and door trim, which is a lot more difficult if you do it right. Rodney's cars have won many best trim awards and he does this full-time. His father started the business and Rodney worked with him for years until his father passed, now he does it alone. I have removed dents and polished a lot of stainless before, but this takes it to a whole different level. I left two long BelAir quarter stainless pieces for Rodney to do for me, since they need to be really nice. One was supposedly NOS and the other has a few dents. I'll have him do some more pieces that I don't want to tackle but I'll do most of them myself.

Also finished the 59 Corvette chassis for Larry. We modified an AME chassis with a C6 front and added a 4" narrowed early C4 Dana 44. He is happy as a pig in poop and took it home a couple days ago.

Chad from Laramie, WY brought me a transmission crossmember to modify for his 56 Hardtop that we put a C4 clip on a couple years ago. The crossmember interfered with his exhaust so I made a new tranny bracket that sat lower on the tube, raising the tube in the frame to clear the exhaust. He should have the car driving before long.

There's been a lot to do and I still have to replace the tranny tunnel in the HEMI55 that another shop cut out. I don't know why I get myself into these things.
    Last edited by chevynut; 09-14-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:2017
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Thanks Robert, I wish I'd known about that Steele Rubber part earlier. It even has the holes punched and clips installed, which none of the others have. I bought a set of clips but they make you cut your own holes in both the Danchuk and Soffseal pieces. Have you used this part before? How does it fit? It does look like a closer copy of the original profile, better than the other two I have.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    I use Steele weatherstrip all the time and the fit is always spot on. I havent used this seal but I would bet you will be fine with it.

Scorp

Member #:2017
    I haven't used this part from them, but given the dimensions were listed, thought you could compare to the original..
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Still plugging away at straightening and polishing stainless trim. I bought a new buffer from Eastwood and got a great deal on it with the stand and free shipping. I also got a small hammer and anvil to work on and a couple of new files. I picked up some sandpaper in several grits all the way up to 2000 grit. I've been using all sorts of tools to get to the small dents but it's working out well so far. It's better to sand the parts as fine and smooth as possible before you start buffing.

I took inventory and I think I have 50 individual pieces to polish including the two interior door moldings. Most of my stainless trim is in very good condition so there is not too much straightening to do, but there are some small dings to fix and some scratches I have to sand out. The worst parts are the 4 pieces of Belair door side trim. I have at least 4 or 5 sets of them and picked out the very best ones. Still, every one of them has a slight dip at every clip location for some reason. Those are a lot of work to remove but Rodney showed me how to get them straight. In contrast, all of my sets of front fender trim are in very good shape.

It's very labor-intensive work to get a mirror finish. So far I have 11 pieces completely finished with 4 others straightened and partially sanded. I'm guessing I have around 25-30 hours invested so far.....2-3 hours per piece.

The toughest/scariest parts I've finished so far are the rarest stainless pieces on any tri5.....the 56 Nomad doglegs.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 29 of 61 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast