Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad final assembly

Member #:115
    I love Summit Racing. They ship fast, good prices, and they will match any legit price on the exact product. I sent an e-mail to Summit yesterday asking if they would price match Jegs on the Trim Parts handles since my Danchuk handles are apparently made wrong and I'm afraid I won't get a good replacement set. I got an e-mail today (Sunday) with a pre-paid shipping tag to send the Danchuk door handles back, and they've already shipped the Trim Parts handles to me. They even gave them to me for $1 less than the Jegs price.

Now that's what I call customer service!
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

I got back from Texas yesterday and my Trim Parts exterior door handles were here. They have the screws correctly aligned with the sheetmetal, unlike the Danchuk parts I got.

Danchuk said there "might be" an issue with the parts I got but they claim they won't be able to tell until they get them back. To me the pictures are clear. They drilled and tapped the holes at the wrong angle. He told me he showed another Danchuk employee my pics and he said they'd still work like that. What a crock. They're in denial and won't admit to having an obvious issue with them. I told him I went ahead and bought the Trim Parts handles since they don't seem to be interested in addressing the issue. Don't buy the Danchuk handles until they fix this problem.

Here's the Trim Parts handle....

20190101_001.JPG

20190101_002.JPG

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Typical Danchuk behavior. Nothing's ever wrong even if it's plain that it is. And you ended up doing what one should do, never buy direct from them and don't try to get them to fix a problem. By from a third party that will treat you right and let them deal with Danchuk. I'll bet Danchuk doesn't argue with Summit!

I've been working on some more assembly and I have applied soundproofing mat (RAAMMAT) on my firewall and toe boards. I installed the Raingear unit and it's ready to wire up. Then I re-polished the A/C bulkhead and the steering column mount and installed them. I have also installed the brake and clutch assembly and brake bellcrank. The Lokar gas pedal and clutch and brake pedal covers are installed. I attached the new later model headlight dimmer switch and ran the three wires into the car.

The Lokar foot e-brake is installed, but I realized it's going to have to come out again because I left the cable in the sheath and it needs to be cut down. I was having fits with the Lokar e-brake pedal assembly because the cable sheath end "nut" wouldn't fit and interfered with the side plate. So I had to modify it slightly for clearance of the end "nut" and e-clip. Then I found that the pedal would bind when I tightened the mounting screws. They say to install a spacer but I either didn't get one or it got lost somehow. I made a spacer and put it where they said it goes, but when I assembled and tightened the screws a different screw caused the side plates to "pinch" the internal clevis. I ended up making another spacer for that screw and now it works like it should.....after 3-4 hours of messing with it. I don't think I ever actually tried to actuate the foot pedal during mockup, I just mounted the assembly.

Next up is installation of the Vintage Air evaporator, inside hoses, and defrost ducts.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Got the VA evaporator installed and the hoses hooked up inside the car, and defroster ducts put in place. After installing the Lokar gas pedal and e-brake, I decided either those had to be painted to match the brake and clutch pedal, or vice versa. I decided to paint the gas pedal and e-brake arms to match the brake and clutch arms. I'll leave the pads brushed aluminum.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

The past few days I painted the e-brake lever and gas pedal levers charcoal and installed the gas pedal. I'll install the e-brake lever later when I fit the cable.

IMG_1077.JPG

IMG_1079.JPG

Like I did with my PS reservoir, I put off locating the VHX computer until later.....well, it's later. I had a hard time figuring out where to put it that's accessible and out of the way at the same time. I thought about putting it above the glove box, but the VA glove box is not the best design and I decided I didn't want to take it out to get to the VHX computer.

I decided to mount it high in the dash, above the A/C hoses and to the right of the ashtray and heater controls. There's not much there except the A/C hoses and I could access the computer by removing the hoses from the evaporator. I'm thinking that once I get it set up and wired, I shouldn't ever have to access it unless it fails. Programming is done with two remote buttons and there are no dip switches on it. There's one CAT5 cable that goes to the instrument panel, and one that goes to the clock. The BIM connection is a single cable that allows control of the PAC-2750 fan controller without a separate temperature sensor. The rest are inputs from various sensors and a few outputs I'll use.

Here's the brackets I made and the installation. The aluminum bracket below and to the left is for 5 relays and two flashers which I still have to finish:

IMG_4149.JPG

IMG_4152.JPG

I also installed my previously made front wiring harness and 22-pin connector. I added 3 spare wires to fill it up .

IMG_4153.JPG

IMG_4154.JPG

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:530
    I'm thinking that once I get it set up and wired, I shouldn't ever have to access it unless it fails.
    BE CAREFUL with this strategy/location. I think you'll need to get to it before you want to...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    BE CAREFUL with this strategy/location. I think you'll need to get to it before you want to...
    Why? There's no adjustments or settings on it. I think I can still access it but would have to remove a few things. And there's nowhere else to put it except in the console by the back seats .
    Last edited by chevynut; 01-14-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Banned

Member #:2775
    Just a thought. When I mounted this fuse panel, I used the Ron Francis milled aluminum mounting bracket. It's pretty slick, as I can just reach up under the dash, and push it up to unhook, then it drops down to look at it.
    1981 Z28 064.jpg

Member #:530
    Why?
    Because of Murphys law. It's alive and well.

Consider RD's suggestion about a bracket that would allow it to drop down for servicing.

Stuff fails with these aftermarket parts. Once you have that all wired in there, you ain't gonna want to tear your dash apart to get to it.

My unit is in the center console where I can get to it easy.

Food for thought...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast