Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 23 of 61 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad final assembly

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Some things you just have to accept as the way it is. Having said that, a "fusible link" is just what you described. It's a short length of smaller gauge wire spliced into the conductor. For instance a fusible link for a 10 gauge wire might have a short length of 14 or 16 gauge. Just like the fuse, there won't be an appreciable voltage drop in normal operation, but the conductor will melt if the current gets too high.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmvette View Post
    I follow and understand you on the fuse and ohm readings. But I just have a problem understanding how a fuse and it’s tiny cross section can pass current as well as a big 12 gauge wire would. I have the feeling it’s like a garden water hose with a kink in it. Maybe I’m just dense when it comes to sparky stuff.
    You don't need a big 12 gauge wire to carry the current. You need the 12 gauge wire to reduce voltage drop at higher currents. Remember as Rick said above, wire resistance is ohms per foot. The longer the wire the more resistance, hence the need for a larger diameter. You typically want less than about 3% voltage drop in a well-designed circuit. A fuse is very short and has very little resistance because it's short. A small wire will take a surprisingly high amount of current before it melts. Here's a table that shows that a 12 gauge wire will actually take 235A before it fuses, or melts. A 20 gauge wire will take almost 60A.

https://www.powerstream.com/wire-fusing-currents.htm
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Here's what the VA glove box is supposed to look like installed. I attached the bottom to the hinge and tried to put the top part in and they don't come anywhere near to going together It looks to me that my bottom angles a lot further downward than this picture shows, although there are no screws in the one in the pic. Maybe I need to bend it up to mate it with the top of the box but I wouldn't think I'd have to bend my dash to make it fit. Just looking for advice from someone who's installed one.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:615
    I haven't tried to install my VA glove compartment yet. But it doesen't surprise me that it doesen't fit. Nothing on the VA Sure Fit AC seems to fit without modification. Even the drain hose was too short. I had to buy a longer hose so it wouldn't just drip down on the exhaust.

I'll be watching to see how you get this glove box figured out before I try mine.

Member #:3217
    The VA glovebox replacement is essentially worthless; all it is is a shield to hide the mess the VA system creates under the dash an is worthless as far as 'holding' anything (like important papers)... I threw mine away. I'd rather look into the guts under the dash than that thing...

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    The VA glovebox replacement is essentially worthless; all it is is a shield to hide the mess the VA system creates under the dash an is worthless as far as 'holding' anything (like important papers)... I threw mine away. I'd rather look into the guts under the dash than that thing...
    Well I guess I'd rather have something there besides a hole where you have to look at the vent hoses and wiring. I don't really care about storage space because my console box is pretty big and can contain anything I need to store in the car. The underside of the dash in these cars wasn't really meant to hold a big evaporator, and I think VA did a pretty good job of getting one under there. I'm going to put something there, whether it's the VA glove box or something else.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    Your photo looks as if the “box” was taller you could fit it. Use the box to cut up and make to fit. Then when you have a reasonable pattern from the cut up box make a totally new one that will fit. I understand you are not getting what you paid for but with your “craftsmanship” it will fit good and look as it should.

Let V/A know that the piece they are selling is NG. V/A has been very responsive to me on an issue I had with a faulty thermostat and they sent me a replacement pronto.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    VA has been providing the same "doesn't fit" glovebox for 55-56 cars for about 20 years, maybe longer. As you say, they are a responsive company on many issues but this is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmvette View Post
    Your photo looks as if the “box” was taller you could fit it.
    That's not my car. It's a pic I found online.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Banned

Member #:2775
    Most OE ones on many different cars is just fuzzy cardboard. I would just use the VA one as a pattern and come up with something simple, or just keep the door locked. Since you don't need a glove compartment, just put flat plate behind the door, and stick your picture on it, or something like a picture of the inside of a full compartment.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 05-23-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Page 23 of 61 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast