Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 55 Used A/C inside unit wanted

Member #:2709

55 Used A/C inside unit wanted

Looking for a used Vintage Air or Hurricane complete inside unit to add air conditioning to my 55 Chev

STILL LOOKING!...If any of you want to sell your old unit (cable driven or electric) for an updated model, I can give you some money toward your new unit. I would like a new unit but still have a few things to buy for my project... Thanks in advance!!!

Member #:2641

inside A/C unit

I happen to have a Vintage Air Generation ll Sure-Fit A/C unit. I am going to upgrade to a Generation lV. So, I am willing to sell the inside components. ,I will be keeping the condenser, compressor and hoses/compressor brackets. Contact me if you are interested. This is not a used system, in fact it is still in the box that Vintage Air used to ship to me. It has sat, unused, for 15 years.

Member #:3217
    Since you are 'upgrading' before you even install it, you must be very aware of the differences between the II and IV units. Can you itemize the differences for us that you are aware of? I'm not a fan of the current Vintage units, but depending on the differences I might be interested in your older unit. Is it smaller? or does it fit better under the dash? Does it work better or worse if one wanted to keep the fresh air vents as well as the AC??

Member #:115
    I don't think the size difference between the old cable-operated unit (not Gen II) and the servo-operated Gen IV is significant. There are some nice features on the Gen IV such as the electronic servos, dehumidified defrost, and better blended air. I sold my cable unit a while ago because I wanted 4 outlets to my ducts, which is an option on the Gen IV and not on the old units.

The Gen IV mounts differently than the cable unit, using different dash holes. Take a look at the installation instructions on their website and it will give you some idea of the differences. I don't know why either one would prevent the use of the stock fresh air vents.

Here's a Gen IV mounted in my Nomad.

20150728_005.JPG

And here's the cable unit....

10070016.JPG
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3416

Vintage Air A/C Unit

I have a complete unit that was working great when I disassembled it from my wife's car. Cable unit under dash, w/compressor,lines,condensor, brackets ect.