Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cpp500 powersteering

Registered Member

Member #:3405

Cpp500 powersteering

Hey guys. Has anyone run powersteering with the stock size steeringwheel? How did you find it? Cheers

Registered Member

Member #:625
    My 56 was that way. I did not like it went to a smaller 59 Impala wheel. Better still not the best.

Registered Member

Member #:3630
    Im also planning on adding power steering to my 57 like to keep origionl steering wheel ...What are the cons???

Registered Member

With PS you do not need the leverage provided by the larger wheel. Car just has a better feel to it with a smaller wheel.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    You can certainly run the stock steering wheel. Only downside is you don't need the leverage provided by it as markm said.

Registered Member

Member #:3630
    have 5000 steering box installed ...but having trouble getting pitman arm installed on new 5000 box spleens seem to match but can only get arm on about half way ... have pulled arm several times ...cleaned spleens greased and retry to install.pulled again no damage just wont go on any further I had to heat it to
    get off do i have to heat to get back on using a 15 in breaker and 3 ft pipe just not going on any suggestions??? TOPS57

Registered Member

Member #:3678
    Quote Originally Posted by Tops57 View Post
    have 5000 steering box installed ...but having trouble getting pitman arm installed on new 5000 box spleens seem to match but can only get arm on about half way ... have pulled arm several times ...cleaned spleens greased and retry to install.pulled again no damage just wont go on any further I had to heat it to
    get off do i have to heat to get back on using a 15 in breaker and 3 ft pipe just not going on any suggestions??? TOPS57
    OEM or CPP on the pitman arm?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    You may have it on all the way. Are you using a lock washer under the nut? If so, and you can get the nut on far enough that the threads on the steering box shaft extend past the nut, you're good.

There should be a substantial gap (1/4" or so) between the pitman arm and the box.

Member #:3454
    There are companies that make smaller diameter stock appearing wheels for the Tri 5's and the Impala wheels also.

Registered Member

You should be able to look at OEM box and tell how much gap there was with it. Like Rick correctly stated its 1/4 inch or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast