Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help Posting Photos

Member #:2017
    Laszlo, for all my pictures (over 5000 on 55 wagon alone) I am using 6.9G out of 24.3G allotment (28%) for under $25 per year..

....and yes, I could get more work done if I weren't taking pictures..
    Last edited by MP&C; 05-18-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Member #:2941
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonWonder View Post
    For Webbers? Do side drafts work upright?
    No, sidedraught carbs...... Downdraught carbs...... The old updraught carbs...... All must be mounted as they are designed to be, WagonWonder. Float chamber, float and needle valve, jets, air correctors and emulsion tubes must all be oriented correctly for the application.

The Weber sidedraught intake is designed for DCOE carbs. I am swapping a 292 inline 6 into my '57. This is the intake I am using (before mods). Side towards you in photo bolts to head. Other side is intended for mounting 3 Weber DCOE carbs. I will be using 2 of these intakes (mirror images) on my engine, bolted together at the DCOE mounting flange. Unmodified intake inboard bolted to engine. Modified intake outboard, bolted to inboard intake.

Now I know this sounds a bit strange...... And it is. But this is why I am doing it this way......

250 engine in 1968 Camaro with small 7" diameter aftermarket brake booster. (My 292 engine is 1-3/4" taller and I would never run these carbs without trumpets and air box fed with filtered air)......

The photo below is not of my 292 engine (must still be rebuilt). This is a similar 250 engine running DCOE sidedraught carbs. In my '57, there are clearance issues with master cylinder and with steering column, though......

G-d willing, I'll be 70 in November. Lots of physical pain from knees and back and must hobble around on my cane. Just comes with the territory. Other than that, doing fine. Its been 5 years now since the last cancer operation and so far, so good. I have much to be grateful for.

My wife reminded me not long ago that I had better get my '57 roadworthy before I am too old to enjoy driving her. Money is hard to come by, so must do all the work myself over the next couple of years. Knees are so bad that I can no longer get up unaided if I get down under the car. I still have pretty good upper body strength, though. So I am thinking I might be able to anchor a knotted rope to an overhead beam and let myself down and pull myself up that way. Maybe push myself around under the car on a creeper.

I have given up the idea of a full frame off restoration taking 5 years or more. And I've done the V-8 thing with these cars since the '60s. Just don't have the time at my age nor the money. So decided to get the old girl roadworthy again in original condition. Maybe a few mechanical upgrades such as tapered roller bearings for front wheels and bearings to replace the idler arm bushings. No plans to add disc brakes nor power steering and all that stuff. Would like to keep manual transmission if I can still work the clutch pedal with this bad knee.

Must rebuild brakes, steering and suspension and differential. Recore radiator. Replace gas tank, fuel lines and brake lines. Stuff like that. Original 235 engine hasn't been started for over 20 years, but ran well when I set the car up. What I would like to do is to get her running with the original 235 and build a 292 inline 6 to swap in later. Will need to back up the 292 with a stronger transmission, but the original '57 differential should hold up just fine.

Anyway, that's the plan. In the meanwhile, I have begun scrounging up parts for the suspension and for the 292 build.

What I am working on now is the 292 intake manifold. I enjoy tinkering with carburettors. Especially Webers. Managed to pick up a couple Brazilian made sidedraught intakes that fit 3 Weber DCOE carbs to Chevy 194/230/250/292 engines. Did a trial fitting and quickly realized sidedraught carbs will hit master cylinder and steering column on these cars, though. So I decided to modify one of the sidedraught intakes to take Weber DCNF downdraught carbs. I have a set (4) of these carbs here and have no other plans for them, so might as well rebuild and rejet 3 of them and fit them to the 292 engine.

Ran into a complication, though. Center to center of DCOE throttle bores are 90mm, whilst the DCNF throttle bore centers are closer together at 46mm. So in order to line up with the diverging port runners of this DCOE intake, the DCNF carbs end up in the middle of the 5" wide DCOE intake. Too close to the cylinder head and valve cover (2-1/2" from head to center of throttle bores).

So I decided to make one 2-piece downdraught intake out of both sidedraught intakes. Unmodified intake inboard and modified intake outboard. The result being a downdraught intake that 'just' clears my master cylinder and steering column, but has longer runners.

Weber DCNF downdraught carburettors look like this......

I'll let you know how it works out.

Best regards,

Harry
    Last edited by enigma57; 05-19-2017 at 03:42 AM.
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0