Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: '57 LA (one piece) frame/chassis - What's it Worth??

Member #:3217

'57 LA (one piece) frame/chassis - What's it Worth??

In the next couple of weeks, I will be removing my '57 Nomad body (LA assembly) from it's original chassis and installing the body on a custom updated chassis. I would like to SELL the original frame chassis. It is a solid one-piece frame (slight bend in the rearmost crossmember that I will straighten/correct once removed from the body. It is complete with front and rear suspension, (assumed) 3.55 rear differential since from Auto car, Power Steering cylinders, etc, steering gear/etc. It will be complete with 4 original wheels with spinner wheel covers and wide white tires (old but hold air). To my knowledge, the car lived it's life in CA, TX, TN, and AL. Would be a great chassis to restore...

What's it worth? It is in north Alabama (huntsville area). I will consider any reasonable offers.

Member #:115
    I've bought several 1-piece aka "seamless" bare frames for as low as $200 each, and have paid slightly more for a really nice, mint sandblasted one. I've probably bought a couple dozen of them over the years for C4 conversions. They're not really "rare" but are less plentiful than the 2-piece frames and are getting a little harder to find. I estimate that 20-25% of the frames used on these cars were seamless, based on what I've seen around here. I know where there's several more of them around here.

I don't know what the suspension or diff is worth, but I have a pile of a-arms and a few rear axles here that nobody seems to want because of shipping costs. Lower a-arms aren't as hard to sell as upper ones. I've sold a lot of steering arms and drag links, and I'd imagine that the power steering setup would be worth more. Springs are scrap metal. I've sold a bunch of front spindles to a guy who builds circle track cars.

IMO you'd be hard pressed to get more than around $500 for the chassis, maybe more if you part it out and sell the pieces. With so many guys going to aftermarket frames the value of stock frames has remained low. Your best hope is to find someone with a 2-piece frame wanting to upgrade to a seamless one because of looks, but I've found that doesn't really matter to a lot of guys. I'd make an offer if you were closer .
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Thanks for your input, CN.... I don't really have room for it, and since I have already restored the *seamed* chassis for my other 57 Nomad, I don't foresee doing it again just to have the nicer looking frame (and the seamless frames DO look a lot nicer in a restored car)..

PS. In the eastern half of the country, the seamless frames are more rare than 20-25%.. I've seen very few here, and the ones I've seen were under cars imported from the western half of the country. I'll probably put it out on local craiglist to eliminate the issues of 'shipping and/or transportation', and hopefully someone near here will like it and want it.

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Looks like somebody is betting on the demand for original chassis.

that IS interesting, as it cannot be cheap to reproduce such a part....? There ARE a lot of people on the other forum who have issues with their frame, but as CN says... shipping a frame is an expensive proposition if you aren't close enough to drive and get it..

Member #:115
    It's unbelievable to me that someone would go to all the expense of repopping an original 2-PIECE frame when there are so many good frames available, and when seamless ones are so much more desirable. Curious what they're going to be asking for them...I have bought them for as low as $165 WITH the suspension and rearend attached! I have a stack of around 10 2-piece frames.

It's like Danchuk producing one-piece original style 56 bumpers when there are so many guys wanting smoothies. The one-piece bumper looks just like the 3-piece with the guards on it, so why bother? There still isn't a 56 smoothie available.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:530
    With so many guys going to aftermarket frames the value of stock frames has remained low.
    I agree. Try to sell it as a roller for $1K and see what comes... The stainless stock hubcaps with spinners (if they are original and in very good shape) could get at least $100.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Thanks WAgon Crazy... That's about what I was thinking... if *anyone* in my area needs a frame, it should be worth that with all the chassis components, wheels, wheelcovers, etc...