Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: '57 210 Del-Ray 2 Door Sedan Build & Story

Registered Member

Member #:3403
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Notching/modifying the floor pan looks like the best option to me. I would guess if you called Art Morrison they would say the same thing. I see it lightly mentioned in their installation instructions. That seems too happen on other stuff I have bought I thought was to supposed to fit, only to find out you have whack something off or modify to make it fit. They don't like to print ALL the instructions.

I've read that section before:

The final minor adjustment that could be necessary is in the rear foot well near the drive shaft tunnel. This metal is very close to the inside frame support. The condition of your floor will determine whether it will come into contact with the new replacement frame. It is a good idea to glue a small strip of rubber to the top of the frame in this area to keep the body and frame from rubbing.
    I would've expected the condition of a new floor to be such that it didn't come pre-sagged, but who knows with the way they handle the deliveries on these things. The goal at the moment is to figure out where it's malformed to be able to put it back to approximately where it needs to be to avoid any other further problems

Registered Member

Success! The issue has been fixed.

Using a straight edge, I took measurements similarly to what chevynut did across the braces themselves and compared and contrasted with my original floor and a '55 Sedan. The rear most brace was within 1/16" to all of the measurements. The middle brace was just over 1/2" lower. The overall tunnel width was about 1/4" wider at the widest point, which was almost central to the center brace, so I figured that was my culprit. Threw a 2x4 on the floor jack, loosened the center brace mounts so they could move slightly, and then jacked up the car a bit until it took a good chunk of weight off the suspension. Afterwards, I stood with weight on either side of the transmission tunnel right at those rear floorboards, in hopes of raising the center crest of the transmission tunnel. Took two attempts and then it ended up being about 1/16" in difference. Tightened down the mount bolts and checked for clearance -- floor pans now have about 3/8" on the passenger, and just about 1/4" on the drivers side. I even went so far as to throw sand bags and salt bags on the floor to simulate passenger weight and still didn't have any problems afterwards. Looks like that fixed it.

Hard to see, but the gap is there!

Next up will be fabricating a temporary "stand" for the body while I cut out the floor and clean up the pinch welds. I've also got a considerable degree of cleanup to do on the floor, as a lot of the edges have been beaten up.

Member #:530
    Good news. I'm still going to get under my Nomad this afternoon at snap a couple of pics of the floor brace-to-center AME frame rails for ya.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:1653
    I have a 57 here sitting on an AME frame. Body has new floor and trunk. No interference. Can I measure something for you? If you have your frame level fore and aft - port and starboard, your floor attached with new bushings, the pan at the front seat area (port to starboard) should be level along with the rear seat area on both sides of the tunnel (pretty close to level)
    Last edited by NickP; 07-01-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicRaT View Post
    Success! The issue has been fixed.

Using a straight edge, I took measurements similarly to what chevynut did across the braces themselves and compared and contrasted with my original floor and a '55 Sedan. The rear most brace was within 1/16" to all of the measurements. The middle brace was just over 1/2" lower. The overall tunnel width was about 1/4" wider at the widest point, which was almost central to the center brace, so I figured that was my culprit. Threw a 2x4 on the floor jack, loosened the center brace mounts so they could move slightly, and then jacked up the car a bit until it took a good chunk of weight off the suspension. Afterwards, I stood with weight on either side of the transmission tunnel right at those rear floorboards, in hopes of raising the center crest of the transmission tunnel. Took two attempts and then it ended up being about 1/16" in difference. Tightened down the mount bolts and checked for clearance -- floor pans now have about 3/8" on the passenger, and just about 1/4" on the drivers side. I even went so far as to throw sand bags and salt bags on the floor to simulate passenger weight and still didn't have any problems afterwards. Looks like that fixed it.

Hard to see, but the gap is there!

Next up will be fabricating a temporary "stand" for the body while I cut out the floor and clean up the pinch welds. I've also got a considerable degree of cleanup to do on the floor, as a lot of the edges have been beaten up.
    How far apart are the two rails (inside)?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by NCW View Post
    I have a 57 here sitting on an AME frame. Body has new floor and trunk. No interference. Can I measure something for you? If you have your frame level fore and aft - port and starboard, your floor attached with new bushings, the pan at the front seat area (port to starboard) should be level along with the rear seat area on both sides of the tunnel (pretty close to level)
    Before the adustment, both sides of the rear were at a noticable down angle toward the transmission tunnel. I haven't checked how close to level it would be now though. I'm not sure if the measurements on the AME frame would be the same -- they would need to locate the body mounts relative to the top of the frame in the same manner that the original does. However, just for kicks, about how much clearance do your rear boards have in the foot area right behind the center brace?

I'll measure the center distance here shortly.

The body mount platform is spot on, on an AME unit, right to the drawings. I just got in from mowing the back 40. I'll go and measure.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicRaT View Post
    However, just for kicks, about how much clearance do your rear boards have in the foot area right behind the center brace?

11/16 At the rear support where you have issue.

Member #:530
    The floor pans sit within 1/4 inch of the top of the AME frame rails on my Nomad. But they don't touch...

IMG_3681.JPG

IMG_3682.JPG

IMG_3683.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Thanks WagonCrazy, I got each side to about 1/2" now and I think I'll be fine there. Now I just need to get the body off the frame. Having trouble finding a local source for tubing to fabricate some stands...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast