Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Helping "marry up" a friend's 56 HT and chassis... (What I did today)

Member #:3217

Helping "marry up" a friend's 56 HT and chassis... (What I did today)

I spent a long tiring day today assisting a friend put his newly painted 56 HT body on his AME/LS3 chassis. Here's a few photos that tell the story better than I can in words...
    Attached Images Attached Images

After securing the body by the rockers on the 2 post lift, we removed the rottisserie and got it out of the way, then wheeled the chassis back in under the body and aligned it as we lowered the body down.
    The most difficult (and tiring) part of this phase was installing the rearmost 4-pairs of body mounts and securing them, as we had to do that without using the lift (The chassis has about 4" of clearance, and the arms of the 2-post lift would not go under the frame!)... I was worn out when I got home and took a couple of hours to rest my poor old body..

But I sure cannot wait to see his car finished! It's a 525 hp LS3 crate engine with 6 speed and Ford 9" on an AME chassis with lots of custom parts and finishing by the owner (Dick B.).
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 06-21-2017 at 09:48 PM.

Member #:2442
    Looks like a pretty cool project! Post some updated pictures if and when you can.
    Brian

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    It's a 525 hp LS3 crate engine with 6 speed and Ford 9" on an AME chassis with lots of custom parts and finishing by the owner (Dick B.).
    What "custom parts" are you referring to BN? Everything I see on the chassis looks like bolt-on stuff. I like seeing custom stuff.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Member #:2775
    The project looks awesome, and very "custom made" to me. Very unique.

He purchased an Art Morrison Frame with 9 inch in a 4 link, and purchased the engine/trans from Chevrolet. The OTS items he's purchased are top notch, but the items he's made himself are even better IMO... For retaining cables, etc... I'm using adel clamps; he machines two piece 'clamps' from aluminum and has them anodized before installing. That's one example. He's installing his dash items now; relocating the VA air system farther to the passenger side... with custom aluminum bulkhead bracket to carry the heater/ac lines thru the firewall under the fender. Little custom items mostly, but I love the way he's doing it and he a very well equipped shop to do it...

Member #:115
    and very "custom made" to me. Very unique.
    To me, "custom" means one-of-a-kind or hand-built. Buying stuff OTC that someone else made and bolting it all together isn't "custom" to me.

Looks like he did some nice custom exhaust work, but beyond that it looks like a standard AME frame with a GM crate engine and some custom plumbing. Not knocking the car, because I think it's very nice....but "custom" just doesn't ring for me. It's like Dan's "Bruiser" being featured in the "Homebuilt Heroes" section in Hot Rod Magazine. Nothing on it was "home-built".

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    with custom aluminum bulkhead bracket to carry the heater/ac lines thru the firewall under the fender .
    Like this?

20080527_0368.JPG
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    To me, "custom" means one-of-a-kind or hand-built. Buying stuff OTC that someone else made and bolting it all together isn't "custom" to me.

Looks like he did some nice custom exhaust work, but beyond that it looks like a standard AME frame with a GM crate engine and some custom plumbing. Not knocking the car, because I think it's very nice....but "custom" just doesn't ring for me. It's like Dan's "Bruiser" being featured in the "Homebuilt Heroes" section in Hot Rod Magazine. Nothing on it was "home-built".

Like this?

20080527_0368.JPG
    Similar to that CN, except rather than purchase the OTS aluminum bulkhead piece, he machined an aluminum 'in line' bracket, then added mounting threads, sliced it half in two, then bolted it back together and bored the exactly correct sized holes which perfectly clamp his stainless braided hoses which come thru the firewall. I thought I had a photo, but I could not find it... I'll get some detail photos next time I visit his shop and show you some of his custom work.

Member #:2017
    The plate clamped to the exhaust crossover tube, is that a heat shield or ???
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Quote Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
    The plate clamped to the exhaust crossover tube, is that a heat shield or ???
    I think you are referring to the plate which is attached between the trans and trans support and extends rear-wards a few inches and which the exhaust crossover is clamped to? If I'm not mistaken it's purpose is to serve as a mount point for the 'mid' exhaust support and keeps the exhaust in the center of the holes going thru the frame members.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast