Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Helping "marry up" a friend's 56 HT and chassis... (What I did today)

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    My, my, there's some real pickiness going on. For no benefit to anyone.
    My, my, why am I surprised to see a snide remark for no benefit to anyone.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    I even consider a stock restoration as "custom", where every single part is restored, replaced, and back together better than they were new.
    That's not "custom". None of the judging rules would consider it custom. And the discussion was about custom PARTS...get it now?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Just makes them feel better to stroke their arrogant egos.
    Guess you already forgot about the new rules, eh marky?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    That's not "custom". None of the judging rules would consider it custom. And the discussion was about custom PARTS...get it now?
    Okay, so is this car custom? I fabricated it from the ground up starting with 400 feet of steel tubing. The only 2 original parts are the front nose, and the windshield frame. All of the interior/exterior sheet metal was fabricated from flat sheets. It is the only one in existence, and I couldn't duplicate it IMG_1964.JPGcamera phone 025.jpgagain myself.

Registered Member

Member #:3273
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Okay, so is this car custom? I fabricated it from the ground up starting with 400 feet of steel tubing. The only 2 original parts are the front nose, and the windshield frame. All of the interior/exterior sheet metal was fabricated from flat sheets. It is the only one in existence, and I couldn't duplicate it IMG_1964.JPGcamera phone 025.jpgagain myself.
    There may be some "CUSTOM PARTS" there but we cant see them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WagonWonder View Post
    Practically the WHOLE car was custom made one piece at a time over an 18 year period.

Quote Originally Posted by NCW View Post
    JMHO & 2₵, but I see little if any support offered by this. A few properly placed Deeds clamps might offer more support and certainly less area for items to find themselves trapped. With the V-Band clamps I can't imagine any movement.
    I agree with Nick that the h-pipe brace is a bad design as-shown, but for a different reason. When the exhaust pipes heat up they expand. The h-pipe needs to be able to move rearward to accommodate that expansion. If it can't move, it will stress the pipes.headers and with repeated thermal cycling something is probably going to crack.

A couple ways to address this....one, put expansion joints in front of the h-pipe. Or use Deeds clamps like Nick suggested or some other exhaust hanger that allows movement longitudinally but not laterally. That allows the pipes to expand and move freely. Also, it looks to me like he's never going to be able to remove the exhaust pipes from the frame....but maybe he never needs to.

This is how I solved a similar problem with Deeds clamps:

20150331_003 (1).JPG

20150331_006.JPG

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by WagonWonder View Post
    He still doesn't understand that the discussion was about "custom parts", not custom cars. But as usual he changes the subject.

If you go back and read the thread, BN said there were lots of custom parts on the chassis (that's how I read it anyhow). I asked what was custom on it because I like to see custom parts people make, and RD has to chime in with his views on what constitutes a "custom CAR", taking the thread off on a tangent like he always does. Let him argue with himself.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    He still doesn't understand that the discussion was about "custom parts", not custom cars. But as usual he changes the subject.

If you go back and read the thread, BN said there were lots of custom parts on the chassis (that's how I read it anyhow). I asked what was custom on it because I like to see custom parts people make, and RD has to chime in with his views on what constitutes a "custom CAR", taking the thread off on a tangent like he always does. Let him argue with himself.
    Thanks again for the kind words, and setting the example for proper forum etiquette. I was never referring to custom cars, only that a custom car is composed of many custom parts made, or restored. I only used my car as an example, because that is exactly what I tried to do, was hand make as many, and most of the parts of the car including most of the body parts, each piece of steel, and every other part used to create the car on the fly. It was only about $15k in money, and probably 3-4 thousand hours, many of which was spent just trying to figure out how to create a car from SCRATCH!!! Too much money in a car always decreases most of the fun of building a car, and the time spent on it is priceless.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I figured that following the rules - good manners and treating others with respect wouldn't last forever here. A real shame.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast