Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Wheel base deviation?

Member #:3217

Wheel base deviation?

I measured a TriFive chassis today to determine wheelbase. I measured from the center of the front wheel to the center of the backwheel, and did this on the left and right side to get two measures. The wheelbase of a TriFive chevy is supposed to be 115". What difference would you expect to see and how much difference would indicate a damaged frame? Is 1/2" difference from side to side a real issue or will that come out in the alignment??

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Was the front end aligned fairly well? Caster and especially toe-in would affect this measurement. Did you attempt to get the wheels straight ahead? That's the most likely cause for a variance in your measurement.

If your frame was parallelogrammed, that wouldn't necessarily change the wheelbase. It would just be staggered one side to the other. Diagonal measurements would be needed to confirm or deny this.

If indeed the wheelbase was shorter on one side, the car would tend to self steer in the direction of the shorter wheelbase.

Suggest you make diagonal measurements to assure squareness or lack of it. Then use the assembly manual dimensions to verify location of the rear spring front brackets.

Nope, hasn't been aligned since many parts in both front and rear suspension have been replaced. I wasn't sure an alignment would be able to correct for 1/2" difference... but I suppose it might. Just have to go pay for the alignment and hope it works.. Thanks for your comments.

BAD day today! I began with a positive feeling, as the fella I've been calling to get the front end aligned called me this morning and I was there in his shop 30 min later! His wheel attachments worked fine (John Bean alignment machine). Once he got it setup, he started trying to bring in the camber; it was way off (although he said that was common on 'these old cars'). I was fearing residual damage from the accident a couple of years ago that I had missed, after finding the 1/2" difference in wheelbase from left to right. Turned out he didn't have enough shims to do it, so we are planning for another day as he had to leave out of town, but before we took it down, we raised it up and got under it... FIrst time to actually be UNDER the car since the accident, and it was obvious the lower control arm was also bent (I had thought it was okay when I inspected it after the accident).. it was WAY off and is obviously the reason for the issues. So today I spent most of the rest of the day locating a local left lower control arm - finally finding one from a friend in the local club and then spending several hours cleaning it up and removing the old bumper and ball joint (nastiest A arm I've ever cleaned up!).. but it seems it's going to be OK. I will beadblast and prime it tomorrow, and remove the old bushings and install new ones along with new ball joint. Hopefully it will be back on shortly thereafter tomorrow and get aligned sunday afternoon/evening... and I still have to finish the AC plumbing and recharge before next weekend!

PS. This issue may be what I need to push me to purchase a 2 post lift, and I'm REALLY PO'ed at myself for missing that bent lower A arm...

Got it all back together tonight and checked.. No more wheel rub at rear of inner fender well, and the wheelbase now measures 115" on both sides of the car! When the brake caliper bracket came loose, the caliper rotated into the wheel, breaking the AR Torque Thrust D, letting the air out of the tire, dropping the wheel/tire to the pavement.. and bring the car to a skidding, sliding stop (almost into the oncoming lane of traffic!). I was lucky there that my speed was only about 45mph. I found out that the upper A arm was pushed forward so I replaced that and the caliper brackets/calipers/bolts/etc.. and now I realize that the lower A arm was bent rearward!~ I HOPE this is the end of that disaster and it's aftereffects~ Maybe, if I can now get the car front end aligned, and the air conditioner replumbed and working... then next weekend it will be carrying my wife and I towards Roanoke and the Chevrole Nomad Association convention...

PS. If anyone has a solid (unbent, no heavy rusty) Lower Left Control Arm to sell me, please PM me.. as I have to replace the one I got from my local car club member.