Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbee

Member #:115
    I often wonder who thought of calling old, oxidized, rusty paint "patina" or "art". To me it's just old, oxidized, rusty paint and looks like shit . I think that Pro-Street 55 hardtop looks like crap and it would look a lot better without the fake rust streaks. I'd rather have a clean, shiny car with glossy paint any day or at a minimum get rid of the rust and prime the metal. But to each his own, I guess. I suppose the upside if that you don't have to worry about washing and waxing it or getting a scratch on it.

So maybe the next "cool" thing will be worn out, bald tires with the belts showing or an engine that belches blue smoke? It's all just worn out, imo.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post

So maybe the next "cool" thing will be worn out, bald tires with the belts showing or an engine that belches blue smoke? It's all just worn out, imo.
    I think its just a different choice of what people like. No different than original vs restomod.

Quote Originally Posted by LEE T View Post
    I think its just a different choice of what people like. No different than original vs restomod.
    You're right Lee. I just like new-looking stuff when it comes to cars. I guess I can see preserving the "history" of a nice car like Bob's but I just don't get making a restored car look like it's all rusty or driving a true rust-bucket rat-rod around. Personally I think some of those cars give hotrodding a bad image. In Japan you can't even drive a car that has body damage.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Banned

Member #:2775
    Patina is simply trying to achieve the look of history, unlike orange paint, which is only appears to be shiny rust.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I often wonder who thought of calling old, oxidized, rusty paint "patina" or "art". To me it's just old, oxidized, rusty paint and looks like shit . I think that Pro-Street 55 hardtop looks like crap and it would look a lot better without the fake rust streaks. I'd rather have a clean, shiny car with glossy paint any day or at a minimum get rid of the rust and prime the metal. But to each his own, I guess. I suppose the upside if that you don't have to worry about washing and waxing it or getting a scratch on it.

Awwww come on CN... How do you really feel about patina"???

Member #:615
    My car’s paint is worn and faded,
    I was ashamed to go for a ride.
    But now they call it "patina",
    I gladly drive it with pride.

Member #:615
    Hotrodbob is going to be driving his car this year. He is going to be getting high-fives and having people telling him that is the coolest car they have seen lately. Chevynut is building the most beautiful Nomad in Colorado this year. But it will be in the garage where no one sees it.

There is nothing wrong with either plan. But Hotrodbob is probably going to have more fun.

As for me, I have the best of both worlds. I have a '56 under going a frame off restomod/restoration and a worn out '57 wagon I can drive anywhere any time.

Member #:3217
    Nice post Tobasco! (and I LIKE your 'worn out '57 wagon!)...

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Hotrodbob is going to be driving his car this year. He is going to be getting high-fives and having people telling him that is the coolest car they have seen lately.
    As I said, it's a pretty nice clean car that a lot of car guys can appreciate. But a lot of people are going to question why he doesn't paint it. To me, "patina" cars just say "I don't have the money for a decent paint job". That's TO ME.

Chevynut is building the most beautiful Nomad in Colorado this year. But it will be in the garage where no one sees it.
    I don't know why you guys keep saying I won't drive my car. I think Dan drives Bruiser and lots of guys drive really nice cars. It's not going to be a daily driver, and I wouldn't want a tri5 daily driver myself....that takes away from the special rides when you do drive it, imo. I don't drive my Porsche every day but it's fun when I do.

There is nothing wrong with either plan. But Hotrodbob is probably going to have more fun.
    It depends on your definition of "fun". I have a great time building things and after it's done it may not be as fun anymore to me.

As for me, I have the best of both worlds. I have a '56 under going a frame off restomod/restoration and a worn out '57 wagon I can drive anywhere any time.
    So do I. I have a ~50K mile 57 4-door sedan from AZ with a 283PP and 3-speed on the column that I could be driving anytime and anywhere I wanted to if I chose to. But I'm not that interested in driving a stock car like that. And it's not even that worn out. I bought it to flip as a driver 9 years ago and haven't even sat in the driver's seat yet...it's in my son's barn. Maybe I should get it out and fire it up.

20080716_0795.JPG
    Last edited by chevynut; 07-07-2017 at 12:58 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Banned

Member #:2775
    Driving an old original car is a step back in time to the way the car drove like it did back in the day. Just because it's old and not hiding it with flash they are actually a blast to drive. It was a thrill to drive my 1930 Ford Model A to it's limits at 45mph finding the fastest line through a corner to not lose speed. Old cars are not all trying to be new cars again. They have a special feel, smell, sound, plus they have personality that can't be polished, or chromed. The only thing that really sucked on the 30 Ford and others at the time, were the mechanical brakes. It didn't need 13 inch brake rotors, just decent hydraulic drums would have been awesome.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 07-07-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast