Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Newbee

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Everyone has their own tastes, likes and dislikes. I see old-school guys bash wheels any larger than 15" while some like 20"+ wheels. Some guys like wide tires on back and skinny tires up front....some like them low, some like them stock height. Some guys like the nostalgia of the SBC with a carburetor. Some guys like "patina" which I see as just another "nostalgia" thing.

What I see today is most guys like an old-looking car with modern upgrades and styling cues like larger wheels. I see guys at car shows crowding around the high end modernized cars while almost nobody cares about the restored cars. Pro Street is thankfully just about dead, and has been replaced by Pro Touring. Pro Street was supposed to be a drag car that runs on the street with the big balloon tires and with handling that was worse than anything else on the street. Some guys even tried to drive cars with spools that skidded around a corner. Dumb, imo. Pro Touring has replaced Pro Street and the car has to both go fast, and handle excellent.....a much more balanced view of how a car should be. The high end cars driving the industry trends don't have carburetors....virtually all have EFI. They have big brakes for stopping, updated suspensions and shocks, smaller steering wheels and better and more responsive steering and larger wheels. They're basically incorporating all the new technology into older cars.

To me there's nothing "exciting" about driving a stock 50's car. I guess I'm not very nostalgic because the new stuff is what interests me. I'll never own another car with a carburetor unless it's a fully restored muscle car. And I believe the "patina" thing is just a fad that will pass with time. Just my opinion, and I'm glad everyone doesn't like the same things.
    I know this is a totally different subject. Even though it is possible to make an old car perform more like a modern vehicle, I wish it was possible to incorporate more of the safety features of newer cars. Old cars scare the hell out of me no matter how careful or defensive I try to drive. Crumple zones, roll over protection, and air bags would be a plus.
    https://flightline.highline.edu/iglo...h/carcrash.htm
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 07-13-2017 at 03:19 PM.

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    I know this is a totally different subject. Even though it is possible to make an old car perform more like a modern vehicle, I wish it was possible to incorporate more of the safety features of newer cars. Old cars scare the hell out of me no matter how careful or defensive I try to drive. Crumple zones, roll over protection, and air bags would be a plus.
    How is it we take a "Welcome" to a new member and bring in this logic/topic? Being's you have, why are you building an "OLD" car? Maybe you need more padding on your rollbar up around the noggin spot

Member #:3
    I Like it

Would be fun to raise hell in it .

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Member #:3460
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Safety can be added, but if you are that worried, don't drive an old car.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodbob View Post
    Safety can be added, but if you are that worried, don't drive an old car.
    Or you could do this: https://www.facebook.com/40083290003...type=3&theater
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3217

Member #:3460
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Nice build, but does not address his safety issues.

Banned

Member #:2775
    I know you can't make an old car as safe as a modern car, but it is something to think about. I tried to make this old Camaro a little stronger/safer than the original. There is over 24 feet of 1 3/4" steel tubing just in the drivers door, but it is still not that safe. Just something to consider when trying to make an old car new again, and build it to survive a crash.
    1981 Z28 070.jpg1981 Z28 071.jpg

Member #:3217
    RD: you apparently gave little attention to how difficult/easy the car is to get in and out of..

PS. I generally lean harder to 'building a car to AVOID crashes'... ie. good brakes, good tires, good steering and handling...

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodbob View Post
    Nice build, but does not address his safety issues.
    Seriously? Then I don't understand the "safety issues", I guess. The car incorporates the entire GTO front end complete with "crumple zones", a collapsible GTO steering column, ABS, and driver and passenger airbags. The doors could be reinforced for side impact, but I don't know if they did that. What else is there? A roll cage?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast