Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Pro Street, Blown, 55 210

Registered Member Recycled Rumor's Avatar

Member #:3391

Pro Street, Blown, 55 210

I have made more updates than I probably should have on the cooling issues at idle thread, so I thought I would make a thread dedicated to my car only.

I inherited my car from my father this year and I love it, my only complaint is that I don't have a big enough shop or enough time to complete all of the projects I have for the car. As of right now the biggest thing keeping the car from being more streetable is the cooling issue, I understand that the more horsepower that a car makes the more heat it will inevitably produce. I am pretty sure that I am going to need a larger radiator in order to solve this problem. A more immediate issue that I have now is a hole in the oil pan. It only sits 2.5 inches off the ground while driving and it has been bumped too many times and has now developed a pin hole that I need to repair. An identical oil pan as the one that is on it right now would cost me around $300+, so I am considering JB welding it as a band aid for the time being. I know that this will not be a permanent fix, but I think that it will get me by for the time being. I have also noticed that the charging system is not working properly, so I will need to replace the alternator. Here is my short list of projects:

-Fix oil pan
    -replace radiator with a higher efficiency unit
    -replace radiator
    -raise the front suspension 1" to prevent further damage to oil pan

Member #:115
    Horsepower only affects cooling capacity if you're using it. Cruising around town or idling should not change cooling load much from 4 cylinder to a big V8. It takes the same horsepower to push the car around no matter what size the engine is. A cooling system should always have excess capacity, but that doesn't always mean you need a bigger radiator.

If you end up changing the oilpan I'd look for one that's not as deep. An identical one is just going to drag and get a hole in it too. That'll probably require a different oil pump pickup tube too.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2209
    One thing that is different here is the Blower is creating a lot of heat just spinning even if it is not making any boost. I think this contributes to blown engines having cooling problems even when they are not being driven hard, there is a fair amount a parasitic drag created by a roots blower. Have you had any luck making a shroud? I would also check your timing, if it is too retarded then that can cause overheating issues. We had that problem with my 27 because we were afraid of detonation under boost, I have an msd boost controller that lets me run the timing more advanced for street use but retards timing 1.5 degrees per pound of boost pressure for a safer operation.

Member #:115
    Good point Fladiver. I hadn't thought about that.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3
    I have always wanted a Car with a Blower on it

FUN FUN

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Member #:2209
    They are lots of fun! and at least with my car the throttle does not stay on the floor very long before the driver gets chicken, lol.