Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vetterodder's Nomad

Member #:115
    I don't think there's any way you could build that car for $150-175K. I've seen a lot lower-class builds 15 years ago that went over $150K and I think that's fairy typical for a shop-built car. Just add up the parts on Bruiser and you're well over $100K. And I think there's at least 3000 hours in it over 3 years (that's less than half-time, one person), if not a lot more.

Hell, I've done ALL my own work and have about $70K+ in just parts and materials in mine (haven't added it up lately), and I still have to get it painted, chrome the rear bumper and get the interior done. I don't know how many thousands of hours I have in it and it's not even assembled.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I'd love to see the car, and wonder how much it cost to build. Didn't it take like 3 years to build in a full-time shop with who knows how many people working on it?

Beautiful car. I'm sure RD can find something "wrong" with it. LMAO!
    The AME IRS has a hell of a lot of structure around it for support. My spaghetti car has about $16k in parts, and about 3000+ hours labor.

Registered Member

Member #:1895
    Wow! $400-600k??? Maybe I need to start charging more!
    Actually HRD is running a special smoking deal of the century. We'll build copies of Bruiser for the unheard of low price of $250k ea. How many do you want?

Member #:40
    Joe is financing available ? Lol
    MadMooks 55-57 Nomad Parts
    www.madmooks.com

Registered Member

Member #:1981
    Quote Originally Posted by joeelutz View Post
    Actually HRD is running a special smoking deal of the century. We'll build copies of Bruiser for the unheard of low price of $250k ea. How many do you want?
    Hey - this is VETTERODDER (aka Dan) - just have them choose a different color ok? LOL.

Registered Member

Member #:1981
    Joe - Use this as the brochure to take the orders:

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I was going to suggest that the real number was somewhat lower than the high one, but maybe higher than the low one. I must be in the ball park.

A few years ago I saw a local shop do a 57 convertible that was taken down to the cowl and rebuilt back to restored stock. New quarters, floors, top well, everything. $86k. Beautiful work too. I was pretty amazed at the price. Maybe not so much in parts, but a lot of labor.

Quote Originally Posted by joeelutz View Post
    Welcome to the site Joe and thanks for the input. I was just at the gym and got to thinking about the build, and it really doesn't have the custom stuff that the Kindigit Nomad has, like the trick hidden hinges, flipped bumpers, and a few other things. That stuff takes an incredibly lot of time to design and execute versus a more stock-like build with some custom touches. In retrospect, Bruiser is much closer to stock appearing, which isn't a bad thing. I've never seen it in person but Bruiser does look nice in pics and I think you did a great job.

I guess I have a hard time believing how you guys can have any less than 3000 man-hours in Bruiser and that assumes three years with it sitting for over a year and a half in the shop with nothing done to it if one guy was working on it. At my shop rate of $75 an hour that alone is $225K. I just raised my shop rate to $75 an hour because a customer of mine at a shop in NE (we built him a C4 clip for a customer of his) told me I was too low. He charges $125 an hour and he's always booked up. I know of auto shops in my area charging over $100 an hour. Maybe your area is lower, for some reason. My contractor friend charges $65 an hour for construction work that most anyone can do.

And from what I've seen, and my own experience on my car, you can't have less than $75K in parts and chrome work in it. That puts it at least at $300K which is more in line with what I was originally thinking about the cost of the car.

What is your shop rate? Are using slave labor?
    Last edited by chevynut; 09-20-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    A few years ago I saw a local shop do a 57 convertible that was taken down to the cowl and rebuilt back to restored stock. New quarters, floors, top well, everything. $86k. Beautiful work too. I was pretty amazed at the price. Maybe not so much in parts, but a lot of labor.
    When I was in Houston several years ago and met you guys at Rich's South Coast Rides he had a 57 in there that he was building....pretty "standard" build with an AME chassis (no IRS) and not that much body work. He told me that it was going to be a $150K job. And that was around 15 years ago. Nothing really special about it, just a nice build.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:1895
    Thanks Chevynut. I guess we don't charge what we should. We are currently at $70/hr.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast