Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery cable specifications for rear mounted battery??

Member #:3217

Battery cable specifications for rear mounted battery??

I'm coming to the conclusion that I will likely have to install the battery in the rear of the '57 Nomad that I'm building.. and I have some questions that some of you have experience with and might help?

1) For the typical rear mounted battery in a '57 wagon (Nomad), how long will the battery cables need to be? Is 10 ft sufficient to get from the starter solenoid (or an LS engine) to the rear of the RHS wheel well??
    2) What size cable (stranded copper I assume) is needed to support the current required with minimal voltage drop? Is 2 gauge sufficient?
    3) Is it necessary to run both pos and neg cable from the engine compartment to the battery? Or can the frame be used for the ground/return??

The last time I did a rear-mount battery was in 1971 when I did so in a Henry J I was building, and I used '00' welding cable, which was likely significant overkill... Any suggestions/help is appreciated.

Banned

Member #:2775
    I would go with 1 gauge which would have less resistance, with the same size to the frame for the ground, and a disconnect switch. And a good braided ground strap from the frame straight to one of the starter bolts. Yes, steel has more resistance than copper, but the frame of the car is a pretty large conductor. I fed my positive cable into 1/2 in air hose for more protection, since the insulation on most battery cables is not that robust for routing the cable through or under the car. For a little more money you can get a remote battery disconnect operated by a toggle switch, or even one with a wireless anti-theft remote disconnect.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 07-31-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    1/0 is what I'm going with.

Member #:115
    I bought a rear-mounted battery kit from AAW (with side post connections) and I believe it's 1 gauge. I think 1 gauge or 1/0 is sufficient. I'm using the frame for the ground conductor. Just make sure you make a good connection at each end, and ground the body to the frame....I did it at both ends.
    Last edited by chevynut; 07-31-2017 at 12:47 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    One of those things that bigger is better.

Member #:530
    I'll try to get you a comprehensive answer on what I've done in my LS Nomad in a day or two. Need to snap some pics and post how I routed it...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:115
    Bigger is better up to a point...beyond that you're just wasting money. Copper has gotten really expensive and it didn't use to matter how big you went, but nowadays it's costly to go overkill. The large cable isn't needed for anything but cranking. A small voltage drop isn't going to hurt anything, especially with today's gear reduction starters. You'll even get a voltage drop with 3/0 cable....the question is how much is too much.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Quality connections are as important as the wire gauge.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Quality connections are as important as the wire gauge.
    Exactly! It is actually more important, and something that needs to be checked, and maintained for sure. I love OHM's law!

Member #:3217
    I really appreciate all your comments and suggestions; all of which will be considered carefully before I make my choice;

Wagon Crazy.. I'd really like to see details of what you did also..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast