Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old trifive Chevy lover

Registered Member

Member #:3514

Old trifive Chevy lover

Hello every one,A little about myself l have owned and worked on trifive's 50 plus years and still learning little things about them.My son and I ran a trifive parts business for 20 years, we also did restorations in our lower shop. My son did all the mental fab and painting. I own a 55 2 dr. wagon 150 series with a 69 corvete 427 and 4 speed its a beast. I also have a 57 2drht Im working on and a 55 150 gasser im working on. I hope every one has a great day and save the trifives. Pops

Member #:1653
    Welcome aboard Pops! Pics!?

Member #:115
    Welcome to the site pops.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3480
    Hi Pops, I'm new here and what I know about cars isn't much to speak of other than owning them but I have a question for you and ANYONE who might be able to help me. I bought a shape looking 55 Chevy 210 a couple of months ago. The guy I got it from just outright lied to me and I've been fighting leaks since I had the car. My question is he installed what I believe to be a CPP500 after market power steering unit on the car and it leaks continuously. So did the tranny and even the gas lines to the fuel pump but what I need help with is I noticed when my son helped me and steered the car that the entire column/unit was moving back and forth when the wheel was turned. He said the unit was pulling away from the frame. I'm disabled but managed to get under it and noticed that the frame is split. It is one of many of the two piece frames that came out on these cars can anyone tell me how to fix this without it costing me a fortune? I can't afford a new or different frame so that is out of the question but I'm wondering if it couldn't be degreased (where it has leaked so much) and then a piece of 3/8's steel welded to this area to prevent the frame from doing this. Also I don't believe this unit is a 500 from what I've seen online, it appears to be the CPP605. Any help would be more than appreciated, I'm praying someone can help me, thank you.

Registered Member

Sorry I forgot to mention this but I can't seem to get a picture of my car uploaded to my profile, any suggestions? thanks again.

Banned

Member #:2941
    Howdy from Texas, Pops! Glad to have you here. Please keep us updated on your build.

Best regards,

Harry

Banned

Member #:2941
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiej View Post
    Hi Pops, I'm new here and what I know about cars isn't much to speak of other than owning them but I have a question for you and ANYONE who might be able to help me. I bought a shape looking 55 Chevy 210 a couple of months ago. The guy I got it from just outright lied to me and I've been fighting leaks since I had the car. My question is he installed what I believe to be a CPP500 after market power steering unit on the car and it leaks continuously. So did the tranny and even the gas lines to the fuel pump but what I need help with is I noticed when my son helped me and steered the car that the entire column/unit was moving back and forth when the wheel was turned. He said the unit was pulling away from the frame. I'm disabled but managed to get under it and noticed that the frame is split. It is one of many of the two piece frames that came out on these cars can anyone tell me how to fix this without it costing me a fortune? I can't afford a new or different frame so that is out of the question but I'm wondering if it couldn't be degreased (where it has leaked so much) and then a piece of 3/8's steel welded to this area to prevent the frame from doing this. Also I don't believe this unit is a 500 from what I've seen online, it appears to be the CPP605. Any help would be more than appreciated, I'm praying someone can help me, thank you.
    Reggie, if I understand you correctly you have a vertical crack in your frame in the area of the steering box?

I have seen this (stress cracks of the frame) happen on late '50s and early '60s Chevys with power steering when they first went to mounting the steering box ahead of the front crossmember and I have seen it on 3rd gen. IROC Camaros (unibody construction) with power steering and really wide tires up front. But I have never seen it on a '55 - '57 Chevy frame.

I did have a GTO convertible many moons ago that had corrosion stress cracking of the frame in different areas that was caused by road salt up North, though. Before you look at welding your frame, first inspect it front to rear to determine if it has been weakened by corrosion. If this is the case, you will have other areas that have been weakened, as well and the only way I would suggest addressing it is to replace the entire frame.

Now if the frame is sound other than the place you mentioned and is straight (no collision damage), yes it would be worth welding. This would involve removing the steering box and steam cleaning the area to be welded. Then you want to check it thoroughly (dye penetrant or dry method magnaflux) to determine extent of cracking.

Next step would be to weld repair the affected area, grind all welds smooth and then fish plate it. (Weld 1/4" thick steel plates centered on the weld repair area and extending past it 4" or more on each side over 3 sides...... Top, bottom and outside of frame rail.

You cannot do this (add fish plating) on the inboard side of the frame rail where your steering box needs to sit flush against it, though. That part needs to be either repaired or if its too bad, cut out and a new piece welded in before fish plating the other 3 sides of your frame rail in that area.

Of course, its important to figure out why your frame cracked in the first place and make sure you take care of that so it doesn't do it all over again. If you are not an experienced welder, this should be done by someone you trust your life to. Literally. Its that important.

Hope this helps,

Harry

Registered Member

Harry in my last response to you I failed to mention that the crack isn't vertical, I believe it's where GM made the two piece frames that were welded together and that is the weld that has failed at the point where the power steering is mounted.

Registered Member

Member #:3516
    Good to meet ya. Had some questions and do not know how to comment here or post. Glad you have nice cars. I have one, a 56...Hoping to talk to someone who has done a quarter replacement. I need to do right side. What do I do first, buy the quarter and then determine my cuts on old one?

Thanks

56times

Member #:115
    56times, not trying to be disrespectful, but if you want input on how to replace a quarter please start your own thread in the appropriate forum and you'll get a lot more input. Some guys here don't even bother to read intros or welcome anyone to the site. This is the intro forum and it's pops' thread and not a place for tech posts. Go up to the top and click on "Forums" and pick the bodywork or metalworking forum, and start your own thread.

I replaced both quarters on my Nomad and probably could give you some advice.....a HT is probably the easiest to do but there are still some tricks.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast