Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old trifive Chevy lover

Member #:530
    Welcome Pops!
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:3
    Hello pops

Welcome to the site , Nice introduction
    Your correct LETS save these 55-57 Chevys

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Banned

Member #:2941
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiej View Post
    Harry in my last response to you I failed to mention that the crack isn't vertical, I believe it's where GM made the two piece frames that were welded together and that is the weld that has failed at the point where the power steering is mounted.
    OK, I understand now, Reggie. Thanks for explaining orientation of frame cracking. I would still approach repairs as mentioned in my priour post.

* Inspect entire frame. If its straight, no collision damage and does not have corrosion that will lead to stress cracking, it can be repaired. Otherwise, replace frame.
    * Assuming frame can be repaired (please see above note)...... Remove steering box.
    * Steam clean affected area.
    * Determine extent of cracking (dye penetrant or magnaflux test).
    * Weld repair cracked area.
    * Fish plate top, bottom and outboard sides of frame in this area with 1/4" thick mild steel plate.
    * Drill holes in outboard fish plate for mounting steering box priour to welding it in place. Use bolts through these holes and frame to align this plate when welding. Replace bolts, nuts, flat and lock washers with grade 8 hardware when installing new steering box. (You can make a template from poster board of fish plate shapes, including locations of holes for mounting steering box.)
    * Determine why cracking occurred and take steps to correct it so it doesn't happen again. Cracking in this area is not typical with '55 - '57 Chevy frames.
    * Safety first. Make sure to have a very good and experienced welder perform these repairs. A structural failure here could mean a loss of control and have dire consequences. FWIW...... Welding pipe is more difficult than welding plate. An experienced (certified) pipe welder should be able to accomplish such a repair with no issues.

Good luck with your repair,

Harry
    Last edited by enigma57; 08-26-2017 at 09:32 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:3480

Tri five power steering

My frame isn't cracked it's just one of GM'S two piece frames and the weld has failed. But I need help in installed a CPP 500 power steering box on my 55 chevy 210. The guy I got it from put a no name box on it and it leaks like the dreaded 605 boxes. Can anyone give me advice on installing the new 500 series to do away with this? I'm sorry but I'm new at this and even though I see how to do it I'm disabled and don't have the tools to do it .Thank you, by the way if I don't see your answers it's not me, for some reason I am not getting any notifications on my post.

Banned

Member #:2941
    Reggie, I understand. I am pretty well disabled as well. canget around on 2 canes, but it ain't easy and getting down under a car or getting backup after doing so, I would need help.

Regarding your question...... After removing your present steering box and steam cleaning your frame in that area, the weld repair can be accomplished. Following that, your new steering box can be installed.

Borgeson makes an excellent kit and/or box and unlike CPP, is made in USA. Not cheap by any means, but high quality. If I were converting my '57 to power steering, this is the way I would go......

Kit......

https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=96

They offer a separate box without the kit as well, but I could not find the link on their website this evening. If you are interested, you might give them a call.

Best regards,

Harry

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    hi pops, good to have you here.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:2021
    Hello pops! bob s here welcome !!You'll be a good asset to this forum.

Registered Member

Member #:3480
    I don't mean to jump into someone's blog but I need to find out which headers will fit my 55 Chevy 210. It does have a CPP500 steering box. Thanks.

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiej View Post
    I don't mean to jump into someone's blog but I need to find out which headers will fit my 55 Chevy 210. It does have a CPP500 steering box. Thanks.
    Well, start a new thread then rather than hijack this on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12