Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wootdog's 56 210

Registered Member

Member #:3213
    I am glad I am not a betting type of Man. I knew that 90 days would be cutting it close for all the work that had to be done. And the fact that the Body Shop owner farmed it out to a relative. The progress so far is that the full floors have been replaced, part of the toe boards, and the trunk floor also. One of the two rockers has also been replaced. Supposedly, the other rocker will be replaced this week and then it comes back up to the body shop here to finish the body work. And then finally a paint job. It has been at the Body Guys father in law getting the work accomplished I already mentioned. And of course it is going to take allot longer. I just don"t want it done in a hurry and be half a@@ed. If there is any silver lining, the guy in charge of doing everything was hurting money wise and I ended up scoring a 1973 Mach 1 for a hell of a deal. So I am not mad at all that it is taking longer.
    V/R
    Kerry

Member #:115
    Hate to sound like a critic but why does it look like there's a weld down the middle of the floor? It looks like it WAS a 1-piece Taiwan floor pan since it has E-coat on it. Did they cut it in two to install it? And why does the new floor look all beat up in the rear seat area and on top of the driveshaft tunnel? If you're happy with it, that's all that matters.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Hate to sound like a critic but why does it look like there's a weld down the middle of the floor? It looks like it WAS a 1-piece Taiwan floor pan since it has E-coat on it. Did they cut it in two to install it? And why does the new floor look all beat up in the rear seat area and on top of the driveshaft tunnel? If you're happy with it, that's all that matters.
    Wow Cnut I finally agree with you! It's a shame he didn't spend thousands more to have his floor made to look better than new, and have a color matched base/clear paint job put on it. Then he could have shown pictures of it all over the internet for a few years before he gets to drive it, only to be covered in sound deadener, and carpet. Then, maybe you would compliment him on great it used to look under the carpet, and taking forever to get his car back on the road.
    Good job Woot, you're getting on the road again soon.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-16-2018 at 04:29 AM.

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Wow Cnut I finally agree with you! It's a shame he didn't spend thousands more to have his floor made to look better than new, and have a color matched base/clear paint job put on it. Then he could have shown pictures of it all over the internet for a few years before he gets to drive it, only to be covered in sound deadener, and carpet. Then, maybe you would compliment him on great it used to look under the carpet, and taking forever to get his car back on the road.
    Good job Woot, you're getting on the road again soon.
    Good gawd RD, grow up. It's apparent you and others here don't get along so why don't you do us all a favor and use the private message system available rather than hijacking other peoples threads. Your disdain is noted by all here now retreat to your safe place, get a cup of hot coco and cover up with your blanket. Pushing buttons is not wanted nor is it productive. Grow the site or just be quiet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NCW View Post
    Good gawd RD, grow up. It's apparent you and others here don't get along so why don't you do us all a favor and use the private message system available rather than hijacking other peoples threads. Your disdain is noted by all here now retreat to your safe place, get a cup of hot coco and cover up with your blanket. Pushing buttons is not wanted nor is it productive. Grow the site or just be quiet.
    Not sure what your post had to do with the thread either, other than put me down implying to the world I'm a big baby, and defend somebody criticizing a project picture from 1 1/2 months ago. I thought it was great the OP was pushing hard to get his car back on the road again. I hope to on mine too, and it will be far from perfect, but drivable, and will work on the rest while enjoying the ride.

Member #:2442
    I was wondering about the weld seam down the middle as well. Not that it would matter once it is covered by carpeting but it may be a red flag as to the quality of work being done on the car. I would be nervous about a body shop being paid to do something then farming the job out to someone else.

Banned

As far as the weld seam down the middle goes, how is it possible to get a 1-piece floor to get it to fit through the door of an assembled car?

Member #:1653
    As far as the weld seam down the middle goes, how is it possible to get a 1-piece floor to get it to fit through the door of an assembled car?
    You don't. One lifts the body, lays the one piece floor on the assembled chassis, secures the floor to the frame in the proper manner and lower the body on the new floor. Weld as required.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NCW View Post
    You don't. One lifts the body, lays the one piece floor on the assembled chassis, secures the floor to the frame in the proper manner and lower the body on the new floor. Weld as required.
    I understand that perfectly, but the obscure point I was originally trying to make, is what do some people here expect the OP to do? Pay someone to rip it all out, buy a new floor, and do it all over again to look pretty? I see someone just trying to make what he has work for a driver, without spending years in the process, right, or wrong.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-17-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I understand that perfectly, but the obscure point I was originally trying to make, is what do some people here expect the OP to do? Pay someone to rip it all out, buy a new floor, and do it all over again to look pretty? I see someone just trying to make what he has work for a driver, without spending years in the process, right, or wrong.
    I agree like a good friend of mine who has owned his own body shop for over 50 years told me. If you had a rusted mess when you started anything you do is an improvement. This guy has painted many cars for the Darrel Starbird Show in the 70s and has owned dozens of 55-57s over the past 50 years. Sometimes perfection is not possible this car will look and dive fine and probably be on the road again turning heads while others are still polishing parts.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast