Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Help with conversion disk brake rotor & calipers

Registered Member

Member #:3461

Help with conversion disk brake rotor & calipers

I have a 1957 Chevy Bel Air 4 door post sedan. I installed the Eckler's disk brake conversion kit. I put in an 8" booster, new MC, proportioning valve with it. The pad fits very, very tight on the rotor. I made sure the caliper pistons were retracted all the way when I installed them. I could just get them on. After installing them the wheel turns with a lot of effort. If you drive it, for the first 1/2 mile you're okay until they heat up and drag.

One side got hotter than the other so I replaced the caliper on that side with an aftermarket 1971 Chevelle V8 disk unit. Was identical to the Eckler's. Fit the same right out of the box. I even played with the torque on the wheel bearing. Must be the rotors? Anybody have this problem?

Thanks!

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    you might want to mic the rotors and check them to see if they are in spec for a 71 Chevelle caliper. You might need to get them turned if they are out of spec on and a bit fat.

Most of the aftermarket brake kits are made up of standard GM stuff mix and match. I bought a power drum brake kit from Eklers, fought with the proportioning valve for a week and ended up throwing the valve and lines that came with it in the trash, fabbing my own lines and using a Wilwood proportioning valve. Expect to hot rod a little.

I guess what I am saying is that bolt on stuff is rarely bolt on without some correction and re-engineering.

Registered Member

Member #:3461
    How true your words are! It is truly re-engineering with this aftermarket stuff. Yes, in this game hot rodding = re-engineering parts to make them fit.

Thanks! You've confirmed my thoughts on the brakes / rotors. Bet they're too fat. Will make some "adjustments" to them. I'll take your advice, get them mic'd then probably take some fat off them. Also thanks for the quick response!

Registered Member

Member #:571
    While you expect "hot rod" parts to possibly need some massaging - you should expect "replacement parts" to fit. And you shouldn't easily accept the "hot rod" parts from fitting the way they should.

Make sure your caliper brackets are not causing the fit problem due to introducing some angularity or offset. If it's strictly the rotor thickness and pad thickness - getting correct parts will cure the problem.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I would bet money your 70 Chevelle rotors that came with your kit are thinner than some of the 100K plus OEM on I have on the shelf.

Member #:3217
    being 'thinner' would not cause the issue he is having...

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I think that was markm's point - he doesn't think it's the rotor being too thick.

I'd say brackets that are poorly made introducing angularity or binding between the pads and rotors is the most likely.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I think that was markm's point - he doesn't think it's the rotor being too thick.

I'd say brackets that are poorly made introducing angularity or binding between the pads and rotors is the most likely.
    You got my point, when I did my 56 with CCI stuff in the 90s I had to sand the pads a bit because I used OEM rotors.